I have an LDR boyfriend in South Pacific...but we're both flat broke

notaneatfreak

I live in Canada and my bf or whatever you call him lives in the South Pacific. We love each other very deeply and care about each other a lot however, lately the amount of stress that we have both been under being penniless has caused a lot of stress on if we are ever going to see each other again. I have been unemployed for 3 months seeking work, and he is in a third world country. We are at the point of trying to get him a visa to come to Canada on a whim and a prayer for my brother's wedding and to meet my family and see Canada, then he would go back to Fiji. However, we're broth broke. Are we both holding onto an empty dream?

His cousin who is my best friend didn't see her now husband for 5 years before they became engaged in then married, she is South Islander as well. They have now been married for 10 years.

What do we do? For the sake of our hearts do we give ourselves a timeline or what? If I was allowed to I would be on the next plane out there but I am financially strapped and medically unhealthy suffering from other medical problems so at this point in time my doctor is refusing me to travel and I am only 28. We're stuck at what we should do. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

That's really difficult :( Are you having any luck finding employment? Even at a minimum wage job to tie you over?

He and I are both students and neither have money to spend here as well, but I think putting a little aside and contributing what you can (pooling money) works. Right now, he pays about 70% of my plane ticket to see him -- I will pay about 30% because that's how our money is split. Would you guys consider pooling money?