Re-applying to company I previously got the sack from!

Firstly, I had posted a thread earlier in the year about this and sought advice also from a Careers Adviser re the ending of my last position with them - a highly successful worldwide retail chain - and to cut it short, had decided to let it go. However, recently, I had applied to them again via their website, this time having moved giving a new address and also with a new e-mail address, denying that I had worked for them before. The reason for it not working out before though, was to find out at my exit interview (at the end of my 3 months after the Christmas/new year rush) that my service hadn't met their standards. Despite being surprised at this myself, as thought I had been improving (from my reviews/audits). Also that I had received compliments from customers. I found the situation particularly unfair though because I had been promised some extra training from my mentor at the time on the tills, which didn't happen.

Now, the problem is (and wasn't majorly surprised at this) is that I received an e-mail a couple of hours ago from the Recruitment team saying that unfortunately due to my previous time with the company, that they can't take my application further. I have also just come back from an interview with this different branch (to who I was with this time last year) which had appeared to have gone very well and had passed both rounds including the customer role play. Had met a couple of different managers too and would say that there probably was a very good chance of getting it, but now it obviously can't be taken any further - and was advised in e-mail earlier from recruitment to try and resolve the problem with the branch I previously worked at. It was left at the end of the interview earlier that I would hear the outcome either later today or tomorrow morning, but God knows what will happen now! And fear that they will see me as a liar, as stated on the form on-line when applying that I hadn't worked for them before when asked that question.

Where do I go from here? Do I tell the store manager at the old branch or even the manager at the new branch I met today the situation I am in?? I wondered if it might help explaining the situation to one of the two managers I met today. Should I not admit to the old manager/branch though that I had recently applied again not telling them I had worked for them before and just say that I wanted to re-apply? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Edited by goldengirl11

I'd strongly advise you to move on.

You were sacked and now they've rejected you. In my opinion, rightly so for lying on your application. I don't think there's anything that can be done to salvage your reputation and record with this company.

Therefore, it's not a good use of your energy to keep beating this dead horse.

• Like 1
  • Author

I understand what you're saying. The e-mail was from the recruitment head office I imagine, not the branch earlier. I'm wondering about going in this afternoon still to speak to the manager. I certainly didn't want to lie, just wanted to be given a fair chance.:(

I understand what you're saying. The e-mail was from the recruitment head office I imagine, not the branch earlier. I'm wondering about going in this afternoon still to speak to the manager. I certainly didn't want to lie, just wanted to be given a fair chance.:(

I guess there's nothing to loose by apologizing, and could clear things up. But if your service "hadn't met their standards", IMO they're not going to want to hire you back.

If you really want this field, try to find a job w another such company.

• Like 1

I also agree with January. You were let go and again denied on the application. It wasn't meant to be. Move on and look for other opportunities. I had a similar situation where I was let go due to performance issues which I HAD improved on and was in writing. I also wasn't given proper training when I first started. They stopped giving me hours even though I was improving (the management didn't like me) so I gave my notice and I found out later they terminated me before the end of my two weeks without telling me. I wouldn't apply there again, not only because of the management, but because it just wasn't meant to be. Also lying on your application is a big no-no, they can easily look up your employment history and if you worked there within the last 7 years, you're probably still in the company system.

• Like 1