hand angle during pushups

Ninja'sHusband

Hey I bought this book on strength training and I noticed some pictures of guys doing pushups have their hands tilted so their fingers point toward each other, and in other pics guys have their hands tilted so their fingers point away from each other. I've always done pushups with my hands parallel, both pointing upwards. I did some searching online and people only seem to talk about how far apart your hands are, not their angle. Any thoughts on how this changes what muscles you are working out? I tried both hands pointing together and hands pointing apart. I found both of them more difficult probably because I've never done that before. Just curious as to the effect. I thought I'd start doing all the variations. Right now I do about half my normal amount if I twist my hands differently. It's not unsafe is it?

It's to do with additional muscles being used for push ups. When you turn your fingers inwards towards each other, I think you use your triceps more. I sometimes do push ups with my hands and feet wide away from each other and fingers pointing outwards. That way I exercise my pecs more. You can push your hands together where your thumbs and index fingers touch, that's a 'diamond' push up, I forget what that's for

Basically you work muscles groups harder that you wouldn't be using that much during a regular push up. Diamond ones are pretty hard, so are those where you turn your fingers towards each other.

You can push your hands together where your thumbs and index fingers touch, that's a 'diamond' push up, I forget what that's for

Triceps. They also give your forearms quite the workout. Easily one of the most difficult standard pushup variations since they focus on the smallest muscle groups...

Triceps. They also give your forearms quite the workout. Easily one of the most difficult standard pushup variations since they focus on the smallest muscle groups...

Makes sense of course.

Yeah, I should do these more often.

• Author
Ninja'sHusband

Cool thanks. I guess the inwards pointing pushups would be fairly similar to the diamond pushups, but easier. Wide push ups work the chest, I could see the outward facing ones doing the same thing. In the book I have the pic of the guy with the outward facing hands has his arms in a wide position, so it would make sense if they are intending to emphasize chest there.

I have skinny forearms but have to use Perfect Pushups because of my wrists or I can't do any at all. How can I modify the diamond move?

I have skinny forearms but have to use Perfect Pushups because of my wrists or I can't do any at all. How can I modify the diamond move?

Diamonds can place an incredible amount of stress on your wrists and elbows, so if you want to focus on triceps for pushups without straining your wrists and forearms, simply use a neutral, comfortable hand position, slightly narrower than normal. Concentrate on keeping your elbows TIGHT to your body throughout the entire range of motion. Your elbows should be pointing behind you at the bottom of each rep.