ADHD with impulsive disorder...

I have a 6 year old (Chase) and we have been in and out of doctors offices like you wouldnt believe! Chase has been diagnosed with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder) along with an impulsive disorder. :sick: YUK! I am a young mother (26) and also have a 3 year old. Since day one, Chase has been super super active...way more than any other child I have ever seen or even heard of. Last year he started Kindergarten and Aced the entire year with the exception of his conduct. He is a really really smart kid and the teacher said that the gifted and talented class was for him (only they are full for the next 2 years) :( I need to figure something out. I dont want to start off this next school year on a bad note (again). We have tried medications, diets, spankings you name it. PLEASE HELP!

Did I mention he got suspended 4 times in KINDERGARTEN??? :confused:

My little brother is 7 and has ADHD. My mom sometimes gives him a Mountain Dew when he is acting very hiper, which seems to calm him down. Like the sugar is counteracting the hiperness.

I can email her and ask too, but have you tried it?

She is also what is called a School Companion which is for kids who are abused, or have OCD,ADHD.

She has suggested that (Mountain Dew) and says it has helped some of the kids she works with.

Good luck. If you want more info I can have her email it to me and pm you w/ it.

Hi,

I have a child with a disability, but unfortunately I know very little about ADHD. My advice to you would be to educate yourself as much as you can on your son's disorder, and on the special education laws in your state.

Generally, children do not qualify for special education unless their disability is intefering with their ability to learn. Since your son did well academically, I'm guessing he would not qualify, but I think it is something you should look into. This would give your son some rights and protections that he would not have otherwise.

It does seem that he would benefit from some extra behavioral support in the classroom. If he qualified for special education, the school would have to provide that support. This could be something like having a "behavioral plan" in place, or even go as far as having an aid in the room to help him learn how to regulate his behavior. This is something I would look into.

The other thing that struck me about your post was this statement: "He is a really really smart kid and the teacher said that the gifted and talented class was for him (only they are full for the next 2 years)" I think the laws about the education of gifted students vary from state to state. I know in my state gifted students have many of the same rights that special education students do. If a special education student needs a certain class or program the school is not allowed to say they don't have the staff or money to provide if the student needs it to progress appropriately. This is also something I would look into.

Has the school system evaluated your son? If not they are required to do this, for free, if you request it, to see if he needs special services related to his diagnosis.

Even if your son does not qualify for special ed services, or it's something you do not want to pursue, I would schedule a meeting with the principal of your son's school to discuss his classroom placement for next year and his diagnosis. I would guess you would want him placed in a classroom with a teacher who is very structured and consistent. I would do some reading about ADHD, books and internet, to see what the recommendations are for classroom placement and structure. Schedule the school meeting after you have educated yourself. Also, try to talk to as many parents as you who have children similar to your son.

Do not expect that the school will do the "right thing" on their own, without some pushing from you.

This is a link to a great site about special education law, and there is a lot of information there about ADHD, and dealing with the school:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/add.index.htm

Here is a link to some information on the gifted policy in Texas. There is a link to a discussion forum at the bottom of the page, which might be helpful:

http://www.geniusdenied.com/StatePolicyDetails.aspx?StateCode=153&NavID=6_0

I hope this helps, and my advice to you is to get busy and learn as much as you can, so you can be the expert on your son.

As he gets older, if the impulsive behavior continues it may start affecting his academic performance. My son has been diagnosed with ADHD which makes him eligible for special ed (they'll pull him out of his regular class for one-on-one help with reading for example).

You say you've tried meds and special diets - which ones? Staying away from red dye and other preservatives? Sugars? I think the real reason Mountain Dew was suggested is because it is full of caffeine (as well as sugar) - like Ritalin it's a stimulant and for kids with ADHD stimulants can have the opposite effect (seems to calm them down rather than hype them up). If Ritalin didn't work well then the Mountain Dew may not either but there are so many new drugs that work in different ways - do some research and talk to your pediatrician.

He's 6, he's still pretty young, some of this can also be due to immaturity, plus if he breezed through kindergarten, he's probably bored so he starts looking for something to do, say - hard to squelch his impulsive behavior - some of that just has to be learned. You have to look for opportunities at home to point out his impulsive behavior (like interrupting or jumping up from the table) and let him know what he should be doing. Praise him when he manages to control himself ("that was so nice of you not to interrupt and wait your turn")

I expect that you have probably had meetings with the Principal if he's been suspended 4 times - if not, I'd get an appointment with him or her. Get him evaluated by the school psychologist, let them know you want to work with them for Chase's sake. My meeting regularly with my son's teacher (and the Principal and finally the school psychologist) went a long way - they all treat my son with more respect I think and try harder because I'm an involved parent.

Don't be afraid to ask and continue to remind - I had to push for the testing and push to have appointments with the Principal. I figure I pay enough taxes to the school board, if my son needs additional help he should get it. Don't be intimidated! This is for your child and supposedly they are professionals, they should work with you to help your son learn.

Good luck - let me know if you need a pep talk.

It seems to be a major battle for parents with kids with LD and/or AD/HD. Even though there are supposed to be laws and regulations, parents often find themselves in endless meetings with each year's new teacher. It sometimes takes a lot of work and persistence to get these kids the assistance they need.

As for meds, it takes quite a while to get the right med and the right dosages. Some meds take a while to be effective, too (as in a month or more).

I had undiagnosed ADD all my life until 9 months ago (over 30 years). So, I know what you are going through (or your son)

He seems a bit young to be permanently affected (mentally/socially) bye the chemical differences he possesses, but not managing the ADD for too long of time could impede his social maturity and self esteem etc. Anyway I think you have a good opportunity to increase the quality of your son's growth and life by identifying his ADHD qualities so quickly as you have. I really think the ADHD characteristics can be very productive, positive and creative - especially if informed living/adjusting is the result.

• Author

Oh my gosh...thank you all so very much for all of your information. Chase has a doctor (psychologist) appointment on July 15th and I always write things down to review with the doctor. This is what I have listed.

• Chase needs lots of help in learning to interact with other children. He is constantly annoying other kids or even adults by making annoying noises, poking, touching (knowing this pushes buttons) even after asked to stop nicely, I have to really get on to him to make him quit.

• He would much rather be watching cartoons or playing video games by himself. Doesn’t like going outside much. Sometimes I have to force him to come outside and enjoy the sunshine with myself and/or the other kids.

• In a classroom setting he seems fine as long as he is in a one-on-one situation but when he gets around others he doesn't seem to have any control & does goofy things to get attention.

• Got suspended four times in kindergarten & I would like to get off to a better start in August.

• Stayed with my mom for a while on July 5th, and she sent me the following information via email, the following day.

“He started crying like he had lost his best pig when he spilled his cereal yesterday. I ask him why he was crying & he said he always does when he has bad days. I explained to him that spilling cereal was nothing to cry about that it was an accident & accidents happen. He asked why everyone said he has bad days & I tried to explain that, that was when he was being bad which was totally different from spilling cereal. And that meant he was doing bad things like not minding when he was told to do something, being mean to other children, using ugly language & doing things he knew was wrong but did them anyway.”

• After being reprimanded for a particular issue, Chase has a tendency to continue to do the exact same things over and over and over knowing he is going to get in trouble again.

• Smart. Chase’s report cards are outstanding (with the exception of conduct). In Kindergarten, he didn’t just meet the guidelines but exceeded in every subject and test that he was given for that particular level (Kindergarten).

All of those things are AD/HD - but this one really struck me:

After being reprimanded for a particular issue, Chase has a tendency to continue to do the exact same things over and over and over knowing he is going to get in trouble again

Imagine being an adult and doing the same thing! You are doing the right thing to get him as much help as he can. The lives of a lot of adults with AD/HD are not great because nobody recognized that they had problems or helped them when they were kids.

Kids with AD/HD are often lacking in social skills; these skills seem to be learned in a way that they are unable to learn. The psychologist should be able to recomment some social skills training for him.

Now, one caveat - not all psychologists are, even now, well-informed about AD/HD and its treatment. If yours doesn't seem to be very familiar with AD/HD, run fast to another one.

Here's a terrific resource:

http://www.pediatricneurology.com/adhd.htm

There are lots of online support groups for parents with AD/HD kids. About.com has a good site for parents and people with AD/HD - sometimes it helps to read accounts of adults with AD/HD to understand their struggles.

http://add.about.com/mpboards.htm

Hello I hope I can be of some assistance to you I was one of those children.

I can tell you that he will grow out of it I did and most do it just takes time. Get him envolved in some kind of activity that takes energry out of him like gymnastics or something. If you can find something that he actually likes putting focus on it will help. Find out if there is a group in your area for ADHD children and have him spend some time with them and you can speak with the parents on there views. I know what made me more hyperactive was sugar. So try and cut that out if you haven't already. The less sugar I had the calmer I was. My mom used frutitose (sp) corn syrup instead of sugar when she cooked things for me. And stick with it don't give up. I was on ridaline (sp sorry I am a bad speller) most of my child hode and that helped I think. Most times children with ADHD are extremly smart but get pused aside because of the way they act most teacher do not know how to handle those types of children. You need to get him with teachers that know how to handle them so if the school you have him in now has a waiting list check other schools in the area. I am not sure if you can afford to pay to send him to another school in your city or area, but if they have a class opening it will pay off in the future. If it was not for the teachers I had in my alternative classes I do not know where I would be. I will tell you until he grows out of this he is going to have problems making friends and behaving in class. They reason children get so destructive when they have this is because they are not challenged enough. If you can find something that will challenge him would be best. Play games with him that are above his learning level that may help because it is something that may not easily be done to him he may focus harder on it and calm down a little bit. If there are any questions you may have for me. Please feel free to ask. I want to help parents in this situation because I have knowlege that most do not on the subject because I was there once.

he will grow out of it I did and most do

I am sorry, but you are completely in error. Up to 60% of kids with AD/HD have it into adulthood. If you don't believe me, I can refer you to several dozen well-researched scientific reports.

I'm glad you seem to be better, but please do not think that you represent all people with AD/HD. It is a myth that kids grow out of it - one that has caused many, many adults with AD/HD a LOT of grief.

I did not mean to offend you in anyway I am no scientist I am telling you from my point of view. I may have used the wrong words "grow out of it" but how I look at it is if you have it undercontrol and know how to deal with it you in a sense have grown out of it. If you know how to sit down and keep your self tuned into something with out letting yourself wonder off you have good control over you AD. The hyperactivity thing is controled by not eating what makes you hyper. If it is treated early own most children learn to develop the skills to keep it under control weither doing it unconsiouly or concoiusly. If they have made it that far I would say they are growing out of it. Weither worng phraseology or what have you but that is my personal opinion. Sorry if I upset you.

Another thing I've been trying to do that you might try is limit the TV watching, especially cartoons. My son sometimes seems disconnected with reality and acts out the stuff he sees when he is watching too much TV. This might be why Chase makes noises, pokes, touches - cartoon characters do that to one another all the time. I agree with the exercise/activity - my son seems to be much better behaved, sleeps better when he is physically active.

Getting enough sleep is also important - kids this age need 10 hours a night (give or take an hour). It helps my son with controlling the impulsivity and the quickness to anger when he is well-rested.

You sound like you are doing the right things. Let us know how it goes. :D

js4u,

I don't mean to offend you but both of your posts are in-accurate as pertaining to ADHD and adult ADD. Perhaps what you have gone through is a different disorder or something. I think most adults with ADHD are not going to relate to your advice etc. regarding the matter. I mention all this because it concerns me when I see wrong information presented like that for two reasons. 1, it gives the general public the wrong impression of those with ADD, AND more concerning, 2, it may misguide a person who really needs help and ACCURATE thoughts on the issue. I know you are trying to help, but please know that misinformation is not helpful.

moimeme is completely accurate about the "not growing out of it response"

and js4u,

in your next post about the eating to treat hyperactivity along with the other thoughts on dealing with adult add - um, every part of this post is not relevant or true. Are you just making this sh&t up because it’s a serious issue - please don't be careless about it.

Thank you very much for considering what I have said here

The hyperactivity thing is controled by not eating what makes you hyper

I missed that the first time. Again, you are competely wrong. Scans of the brains of people with AD/HD show that the frontal lobe does not function as it does in people without AD/HD. This has NOTHING to do with food or additives or anything else. It is genetic (one of the highest genetic correlations of any condition) and it is not curable. It is treatable with meds and some foods and supplements can help a bit (particularly Omega - 3) but it absolutely is not 'caused' by anything like that. Science is zoning in on a couple of chromosomes which might be responsible.

Please don't spread inaccurate information.

Oh boy, do I know what you are going through! By the time my son was two, he had a team of pediatricians, a behavioral psychologist, his own speedy check-in card at Children's Hospital ER, and a wonderful counselor! He will be eight in just a couple of months but I never thought I'd make it this far! We tried Ritalin, Adderall, sedatives, CAT scans, behavior modification therapy, diet therapy, fatty acid over-load, sports, holding him back in school...even the Mountain Dew reference! (although we just used anything with vast quantities of caffeine - chocolate, coffee, cola, whatever...)

I have to say that in six years of dealing with the Attention Deficit Hyperactive and the Oppositional Defiant Disorder, only a handful of things even helped. It takes lot's of patience (you know this already!) and a good support system. Do you have relatives that can take your son for over-night visits on a regular basis? Or is it worse for you when he comes back home? (I found that with certain relatives, my son, Chandler was much worse after the time away and we would spend hours just trying to get back on course).

What have you tried with any success? What are you using, now that it is summer and school is out, to keep him controlling himself?

I have lot's and lot's of tried and true suggestions that worked for Chandler but maybe you've been down that road. Are you looking for support from these postings? Or are you looking for new ideas to help your son?

Really, the meds worked but only as a band-aid. He started on Ritalin at three when the behavioral psychologist "couldn't assess my parenting because my kid was too out of control"!

Ritalin did not work and I was not enthused about trying it to begin with. My son lost all bladder and bowel control and became completely withdrawn almost immediately. We did a double-blind-trial at three different doses, a different dosage per week. When we completed the meds route, I said "no more". The side affects for Chandler were tremendous. But then again, Chandler's behaviors were tremendous! We tried keeping a food journal, noting any sensitivities or possible food allergies. Nothing there. We tried having him tested for hypoglycemia. Nothing there. He obviously has sugar sensitivities, but restricting sugar is a good way to go with any child. He had a CAT scan and all that showed us was that there was decreased blood flow to the frontal portion of his brain. Something we were told he "might just grow into." I was at my wits end the summer before he started kindergarten (this was after holding him back a year anyway because of problems we had been having,) when things got so much worse! He tried leaping from a running car because he "wanted to go to Office Max"! Of course. Thankfully he was not hurt as we were just starting to move through a line of people at a stop sign. I caught him hauling his bike up to the roof so that he could ride it off. Because again, that makes a ton of sense... Silly mom! He talked his three year old sister into jumping off his top bunk and she broke her leg in two places as a result of that chenanigan! I could go on and on...

But the weird thing that happened to us was that I found myself on this diet plan. There was a book out, called the Perricone Prescription and it was all about eating more healthy foods in certain orders to give you a youthful skin and a youthful look. Being the harried mother of two busy kids, I was pumped to try it out. About this time, I had Chandler on Adderall and it was working alright. By alright, I think it just took the edge off of his hyperactivity. He still struggled with frustrating things that sent him into raging tantrums (like tying his shoes) and he was still as defiant with me as he ever had been, but his teachers really liked him!

So my plan was to start weaning him off the Adderall the first part of school since he was being so good there. My plan was not to put him on a youthful diet! But anyway, what ended up happening was that I was preparing these all organic, very healthy meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I was really happy with how healthy we were eating. I guess the Perricone Prescription is like a cross between Atkins and the Southbeach diet. But it's not designed for people looking to loose weight. Just for people who want a firmer skin tone and more energy throughout their day. You ate wonderful egg dishes and fruits and whole grain cereals and mostly protein. After three days on this diet, I was loosing my mind. Literally. I left the gas cap at the filling station. I missed my exit to work. Twice. I started filing things in all the wrong places and I just could not figure out what this cloud of confusion was all around me. What's ironic is that my son who at this point is on medication and giving me such strife...Is an angel! He was thriving on this high protein diet! And I should mention, the majority of the protein was from fresh salmon which is so high in the omega 3's. Salmon, eggs, brussel sprouts, whole grain cereals, he was doing great! My daughter and I could not make it a week on this program. Our nutritional needs are very different and when we cut out almost all the carbs, cold turkey, we had no idea how it would affect us. It just seemed we were making a conscious decision to eat better as a family.

Chandler came off the Adderall and he adheres to a very Atkins type diet while taking fatty acid supplements three times a day. He is allowed sugar in moderation when he has had a protein the size of his fist to off-set the sugar effect. Because he is almost eight and we've known about his condition for 6 years, we've gotten to try many, many things. I never wanted him medicated. I didn't think that I believed in it. But now I see that it can be a bridge that get's you to a new place safely. There's no way I could've gotten him to where he is without a team of specialists and some meds. But they were all blown away to see his improvement when on his "protein diet" as he calls it.

If I had to give a pat answer as to what I think really helped my son, it would be diet, supplements and sports. And that is after 4 years of building a base that was a team of pediatricians, psychologists, teachers and behavioral therapists... It takes a village.

Just wanted to add another resource. http://www.amenclinic.com is Dr. Daniel Amen's site. He's done a gazillion brain scans on folks with AD/HD and other conditions and has developed a theory that there are several subtypes of AD/HD each requiring different treatments which can include meds but also foods, supplements, exercise, etc.

What reminded me was the remarks about the protein diet. While Amen believes it may work for some AD/HD subtypes, it doesn't help others at all, which is why it's useful to do further investigation. And some folks have had really good results and no side-effects with the meds. Every patient has to be dealt with on his own terms.

Amen's written several very good books on AD/HD and brain issues in general. He's worth a looksee to anyone in this situation who hasn't yet checked out his stuff.

There's another book that talks about the different sub-types of ADD/ADHD and addresses different nutritional needs within the categories as well. I found it especially helpful with kids. I'm not sure how helpful it would be for an adult dealing with their ADD/ADHD...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805061282/ref=pd_sim_books_3/102-9372918-0383367?v=glance&ebooks

;)

Thanks - sounds like some good things to try.

Watch out for mercury levels if he's eating a lot of salmon (damned if you do, damned if you don't, eh?)

• 3 weeks later...

I have had ADHD my entire life and yes I was a problem child. I was horrible, I tell my mother I am sorry for my childhood behavior everyday :rolleyes: Although I have it I am still an Extreamly sucessful adult. ( a lot of people with ADHD are very bright and creative)

Has you doctor recommended Strattera? I am not saying that it will work for your kids, but it works for me. It is a non narcotic. It just helps me concentrate on things a little better and calms me down but not to the point where I can't produce. Alot of people are aganst drugs ( my parents we're) but as an adult I choose to take it and find that when on the medication I am much more productive and less self destructive.