Do large and small builds exist?

Eternal Sunshine

I am 5'8" tall and as an adult weighed from 100lbs-165lbs. I am currently at around 140lbs, hoping to lose 10 or so.

I found it amusing that when I was close to my lowest weight, everyone commented, even doctors how I have naturally slim and small build.

When I was closer to my highest weight, I got comments that I have a "large build", or even "genetically large build".

I find it easy to both gain and lose, it really is just simple calories in/calories out for me (or anyone).

This leads me to question "natural small builds" and "natural large builds" and if such things even exist.

Thoughts?

I don't know what the technical medical definitions are but can look around amongst my male friends and see marked disparities in structure, even with the obvious differences in muscle/fat/sinew, etc.

I have, as males go, a large build. Big bones, large joints, etc. Always have, from when a child. IMO, it's part of the reason, even with substantial impacts and working in a dangerous industry my entire life, I've never sustained a physical injury worse that a sprain. That includes falling out of trees, off of buildings, being impacted by machinery, etc. My most recent impact was falling down the upper deck stairs of a 747. Picked myself up, dusted off and, other than being embarrassed, walked off the plane with a slight limp which resolved in a day.

My exW was/is built similar, for a woman. Big bones, large joints. She always lamented being 'built like a linebacker', even though she's petite (5'1") otherwise. I've had other female friends and partners of the same height but were built like a feather. I was always afraid of 'breaking' them.

Such have been my observations.

I'm under the impression that "build" is determined by your bone structure...

• Like 2
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

Hmmm maybe I just have a "medium build" and it can look like "small build" at low weights and vice versa.

Oh absolutely they exists. The three basic ones are ectomorph (Brad Pitt), Mesomorph (Hugh Jackman), Endomorph (John Candy).

I am a endomorph and I have wide shoulders, broad chest and huge ribcage.

threebyfate

Measure the circumference of your wrist. Now measure any friends' or family members' wrists who are also 5'8". There should be variables.

ThaWholigan
Oh absolutely they exists. The three basic ones are ectomorph (Brad Pitt), Mesomorph (Hugh Jackman), Endomorph (John Candy).

I am a endomorph and I have wide shoulders, broad chest and huge ribcage.

Have researched this, it's interesting.

According to that theory, I'm a mesomorph. I even appear muscular in stature without actually being muscular.

I think there is something in that about builds.

threebyfate
Have researched this, it's interesting.

According to that theory, I'm a mesomorph. I even appear muscular in stature without actually being muscular.

I think there is something in that about builds.

The body types fall under the umbrella of Somatotypes.

People can have larger or smaller bones, but that doesn't make them fatter or thinner.

Body somatyping (ecotmorph, endomorph, mesomorph) was deveoloped by a psychologist based on his observations. While these labels allow peope to describe themselves in broad terms others will understand, there is no scientific basis for these divisions. In addition, many (most) people are a mix of somatypes.

You can't change your skeleton but you can change what "hangs" on it.

I wonder if ecto/meso/endo types have corresponding head sizes -- ecto = small head on long neck; endo = big head on short neck; meso is somewhere in between.

It makes me laugh when someone will say "She is naturally thin." How often do you hear, "She is naturally fat" ?

I'm definitely an ectomorph. 6'2" and my "base" weight is 195, but I probably look thinner than that due to my height. I went on a bulking/weight lifting program last year and had to eat like crazy just to get to 215. And I'm talking eating all day and then hitting the local mexican food place for burritos for a post workout meal. Couldn't keep it up though and I'm back down to 195 now.

Forever Silent
People can have larger or smaller bones, but that doesn't make them fatter or thinner.

Body somatyping (ecotmorph, endomorph, mesomorph) was deveoloped by a psychologist based on his observations. While these labels allow peope to describe themselves in broad terms others will understand, there is no scientific basis for these divisions. In addition, many (most) people are a mix of somatypes.

Im am going to second this. Pigenholding yourself into one of these catergoires seems alebit fatalistic and prone to human rationalization. My take if you would like to be healthy. Focus on consuming healthy foods, reducing stress, and excercising. If those are done properly, I can promise that anyone would be able to recieve weight loss and or muscle gain.

RiverRunning

I always viewed 'build' as more of a body composition thing and less of a 'size of your skeleton' sort of thing. I've noticed that even though I'm like 200 pounds (also 5'8"), I hold my weight a lot better than many of my thinner friends.

I've noticed the same trend in my family: most of the women are taller and packed together more tightly than many other women I've met. Some of this probably is structural too - my 'frame' size is right between medium and large. I don't know what I am, according to all of that 'use your wrist size to determine your frame!' stuff online.