The dern kids won't eat!

Hey guys, here for some input on kids that won't try any food on their plate. My boyfriend and I have children (mine turning 4, his turning 6) that refuse to eat or even TRY anything. All they want is chicken. His daughter is so stubborn that she will sit there for an hour and never give in. Now my son is mocking her ways and did it to me last night after she wouldn't eat. We've taken privileges away, but are at wit's end.

We're not talking weird food here. She won't try mashed potatoes, mac -n- cheese, NOTHING! Unless she likes it. Her likings literally consist of four things: Chicken, fries, rice and hot dogs. Now my son is acting this way when he never has before. I cook decent meals and all this food is completely wasted. It makes me livid. Then she goes to her Mom's house when the weeknight visit is over (at 8 pm). I'm assuming that she goes home hungry and that Mom feeds her junk at 9 pm.

Please give me any suggestions. She's so stubborn and I'm afraid that my son is seeing her actions and mocking them. It ruins every dinner that we have. And I'm not going to feed them total CRAP. Please give me input or suggestions. Thanks!

dudesomewhere

you have any male relatives that are muscular? I mean freaky muscled? Like me? :p

hehe

as an uncle who has a niece and nephew I can say that I can often influence them by saying stuff like "don't you want to have big ole muscles like uncle X?" That does seem to impress them.

I'm not bulky by any means, just have oversized upper arm development :rolleyes::)

I'm still astonished that little people like that actually understand what it is they see...I'd imagine them not being impressed at all and just think I'm shaped differently. But amazingly they do, it's fun and weird.

I have picky kids and it really doesn't bother me. I refuse to get into a power struggle with them about food. I know I was picky as a kid, and the thought of some foods just grossed me out. (Kind of like if someone asked you to eat a bug.) As adults, we know they are being unreasonable, but these are very real feelings for them.

I really think you are going to have to stop getting into a power struggle with your stepdaughter. Personally, if I fix something I know my kids won't eat, then I will fix at least one thing, I know they will eat. I don't want a lot of stress at meal times. I know eventually kids stop being so picky, and will try things when they get ready. I will eat almost any vegetable know, and love it, but didn't eat any as a kid.

Here are a few different articles on picky eaters, that talk about different approaches to the problem:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/pickyeaters/

Pyrannaste

Your bf could try the "think of anything you might feel like trying that is not chicken, fries, rice and hot dogs" approach.

Take her to shopping for groceries and have her choose her own food (but refuse to buy anything that is not healthy).

The above assuming his daughter is not just acting whining and spoiled but she really can't stand the taste of anything except chicken, fries....

When I was a child I ate quite a lot of stuff, but there were a few things I couldn't stand the taste of (I still can't) and eating them was a torture.

About your son....well, he can eat food that is not junk. But in his mind he probably sees it unfair that the other girl can have it her way only by whining and being stubborn. If she can go on eating whatever she likes and he can't, he'll perceive it as a double standard.

You could try the same 'pick out your own food that is not junk' thing.

Tiky, that must be a very annoying situation :(

• Author

Thanks...you guys are great. You guys all have valid points. I can see now too, why my son feels like he doesn't have to eat if she doesn't. And it's a great idea to let her go shopping with me. Maybe I need to make her compile a list of foods that she will eat. Thank you for the link. I'm sure it will help...I'm going to check it out now. Thanks again guys =)

Not much you can do about the girl going home to Mom and eating junk but you can make sure there isn't any available to them in your house. Kids get hungry enough, they eat. I keep apples, baby carrots, string cheese, grapes in the house because I know my son will eat those for snacks and get better nutrition from them than cookies or chips.

This too shall pass. Good luck!

I was picky as a little girl too! But I remember how my mom would handle it. I would stay with her in the kitchen and talk while she would cook. Of course, I hated all vegetables and would love French fries!

My mom tried it with mashed potatoes (which I never ate) first: she would get me involved if the process, would ask my oppinion. She would ask me to taste each time, before adding more butter, more sour cream, if it needed more salt... we would talk for ages and at the table she would tell my dad if he liked "my" mashed potatoes! Dad would fall in the play too!

I know she seems little, but even if she wants to eat something else, she can always "help". You'd spend some more time together, she'd tell you about kindergarden and about her friends... or colour some drawings... the trick is to explain her, just like dude said, that some types of food are healthier than others. Or more fun, or more coloured... Anyway, good luck! Oh, and sometimes, if she's been really good, you can ask for her oppinion before chosing what to cook. My mom would listen, you know!!!

Hope it helps!

Curly