Need serious : Share your workout programs

I have decided to get back into the fitness industry and need your help. Please tell me what your strength and cardio regimes are..............

I was once very good at my job, and truly did walk the walk. without starving, I managed to eat well, find exercise I enjoyed, and applied it consistantly. As a result, I was happy, thin and fit.

Then I took it too far and lost too much weight.

I am since back, healthy, and wanting to make a living doing something I love.

I am, however, out of the loop when it comes to what the hell every one is doing.

So, I am being proactive, and looking online for examples and infortmation from the leading health publications.

Another thing i am going to do, to get an idea of the programs people are doing, is ask you guys.

What program do you do for strength and cardio?

I have my theories and past experience, but want to know more about what people are all doing, after a few years away from the industry.

futuregopher

What do you mean when you are looking to "get back into the fitness industry"? Are you doing fitness research to write something or are you trying to get yourself fit?

If your goal is to become an effective trainer for a wide range of clients, you're going to need to understand how to program training and diet plans for a wide variety of goals, starting points, lifestyle restrictions, medical histories, etc.

Having a collection of cookie cutter programs doesn't make you qualified to charge anyone for your services. In fact, my opinion is that it would be highly unethical to portray yourself as an authority on the subject if all you did was dish out programs written by other people.

Do you have any degrees or certifications that relate to strength and conditioning field you want to work in?

There are new "fad" programs that come out every single day. Being "out of the loop" for 3 years shouldn't matter if you understand the basics of training and nutrition. The human body hasn't changed much in the last 1,000 years, let alone the last 3. If you know your stuff, you won't need to follow the latest "trends" for inspiration because you'll know what works and what doesn't.

Sorry for being so blunt. I hope I simply mis-read your post.

• Author
If your goal is to become an effective trainer for a wide range of clients, you're going to need to understand how to program training and diet plans for a wide variety of goals, starting points, lifestyle restrictions, medical histories, etc.

Having a collection of cookie cutter programs doesn't make you qualified to charge anyone for your services. In fact, my opinion is that it would be highly unethical to portray yourself as an authority on the subject if all you did was dish out programs written by other people.

Do you have any degrees or certifications that relate to strength and conditioning field you want to work in?

There are new "fad" programs that come out every single day. Being "out of the loop" for 3 years shouldn't matter if you understand the basics of training and nutrition. The human body hasn't changed much in the last 1,000 years, let alone the last 3. If you know your stuff, you won't need to follow the latest "trends" for inspiration because you'll know what works and what doesn't.

Sorry for being so blunt. I hope I simply mis-read your post.

I am into paleo and clea style eating, and I believe more along the lines of getting the body to move the way it is supposed to, but with added weight when needed.

Although I have had great results on my own body over the years, I simply want to work in a base line gym - to be a basic personal trainer to begin with, putting basic programes together. Later on, there will be room for growth.

I do not want to start with in depth, complicated programes... Just the old fashioned, tried and tested advice, but with correct technique, and with my own spin on things ( i.e, clean eating and how to live in harmony with how we have been living for thousands of years).

I know a lot about every single different diet style, I have tried it all out ove years, I know a lot about the different nutrition methods out there. Again, I am not into fads, and eat what I want but have worked out how to eat in a way that is not a total abomination to my body ( I love pancakes, but I have sugar free buckwheat pancakes with berries and maple syrup as treat). I try to base my meals around veggies and protein, but I do love cheese too much to give it up, and I do love grains.

It has taken me a few years to find a happy medium with food, between doing what I KNOW is ideal all of the time, to doing what I know is ideal SOME of the time, and allowing myself to have what I truly love, since they are things I would not want to give up forever.

I have not gotten a degree, and I do not want one before I start training! I just want to get a job before I study for 4 years, and I do not WANT an exercise science, or nutrition degree any way. I TRIED a food science degree and hated it. I am passionate about fitness and nutrition, but I do not feel like sitting around and doing as bunch of useless maths for 3 years of my life ( the math is my degree was nothing to do with anything I would apply as a fitness instructor)

I would rather start as a personal trainer, earn a living eventually from it, and THEN further my studies, but not in that field.... I feel that you can know enough about fitness through just:

- training people over time

- knowing what works and what doesn't, and seeing how people vary greatly

- being open to new methods

- walking the walk ( being fit and healthy and having a genuine interest in the area yourself)

- always flipping through the latest fitness mags, to be able to contribute to conversations people may be having.

Personal training is ONE career path I am passionate about, but I do have another option I want to explore, that is not related to fitness. So, I do not want to go and get a degree related to heath or fitness, because I want to change careers down the track....

So, I just want to stick to the basics with training to begin with; getting people motivated enough to START and STICK WITH a program, and after a yar or two or gaining more experience, I would move on to manipulating things more.

I just want good, solid knowledge of a basic routine for a range of differnet people, and to demonstrate perfect technique, and to let them know what they will have to do in order to reach their goals.

I do not want to know anything fancy at this stage, but want to make the good old advice work well for clients - through hard work and doing it properly.

.,.....I have applied various, MANY, programes to MYSELF ove the years, and I know a lot about the different ways to go about fitness and food. I have ALWAYS challenged myself and my own food related beliefs, and tried new things even when the old ones were working..

• Like 1

Margaret Richard is my current inspiration. She is 65 now but in this workout she was only sixty. Scroll down to the video clip of highlights from this DVD of her TV series. I have nearly every DVD by her. She has been on US TV for twenty-five years.

Periodization Training for Sports: Science-Based Strength and Conditioning Plans for 17 Sports: Amazon.co.uk: Tudor Bompa, Mike Carrera: Books

I recommend that you read the above book, I'm half way through it already. It isn't intended for coaches and serious athletes only, it's written in a way that's very relevant for us ordinary folks as well. It starts from the basics of training and conditioning, from various forms of endurance training to power, speed, strength. Great advice with lots of common sense on aerobic and anaerobic training. Very readable. I think if I ever wanted to put a programme together for someone, I would get through this book first