Should my partner know?

So, my question is: Should my girlfriend know what other females I stay in touch with regardless if they are just friends? Not saying I should let her know everytime a female friend messages me but should she know who messages me?

MaybeMilitary

My partner will always mention other girls evn ones who are just friends. Nothing detailed just along the lines of I'm having lunch with Stephanie tomorrow, she's a friend from school. It's a common courtesy and I do the same, that way there is nothing hidden. We don't mention every text MSG. Only ones that cross a line etc. . .

coffee.girl
So, my question is: Should my girlfriend know what other females I stay in touch with regardless if they are just friends? Not saying I should let her know everytime a female friend messages me but should she know who messages me?

I think the common rule of thumb is, don't do anything you wouldn't be comfortable with your partner doing.

IMO you should be comfortable keeping your partner up to date with who is in your life, and even have them meet them if you still hang out. If you are concealing anything (including by omission), you should be thinking carefully about your actions.

• Like 1

If you have to ask the question, then you already know it borders inappropriate.

Question is, what compelling reason would you have to NOT tell her?

RiverRunning

If a boyfriend of mine had a friend he kept hush-hush about, I'd definitely be suspicious and assume something's up.

If he had an ex-fling, FWB, ex-girlfriend, etc. whom he kept in contact with, I'd break up with him. Been there once, never doing it again. I don't have the energy to waste on someone who's hung up on an ex. Although, I'd first ask if he would be willing to break contact with her. If that wasn't met with "Okay" and immediate action, I'd be gone (and presumably next time, I'd find that out BEFORE I started being exclusive).

I think you should tell her. You have nothing to hide, right?