"My girlfriends son treats her like an abusive husband"

Hello,

We have been together for 3year's now and i would like to move in with her but i can't because the way her son treats her it make's me want to rip his head off,she always tell's me not to say anything just to keep the peace, He starts off by verbally abusive her calling her hurtfull name's and like's violently punching at her bedroom door and threaten her by knocking a kitchen knife at the door, She put's up with it because i think she fear's him, She will do everything she can to make sure he is happy just to keep the peace,He's almost 19 teen and its been getting worse,What can i do? I feel usless having to watch the person i love go through this plus i don't want to lose her that's why i havent said anything and i can't ask her to choose me or him, Do i just keep doing what i have been doing and saying nothing? When he avangally calms downs she will go talk to him to make sure he's ok and ask's why are you being like this all he says is he doest know why this has been going on before we got to together, Any advice would be appreciated Thanks.

Edited by donson