younger bro's grad or work?

I got a job 2 weeks ago that doesnt schedule a lot of hrs. To get a day off they need 2 weeks notice. The 2nd part of my bro's grad is this Sat (I'm going to the 1st on Fri) and I forgot to get the day off. My work is not flexible with scheduling AT ALL. I could get fired from my dream job.

My bro wants me to take the day off by saying someone died but its hard for him to understand there are consequences. I want to keep this job so I can get a transfer to L.A. when I'm a full time student and I need the money to save up for rent during the school year. I thought maybe I could go to work then rush to his graduation, but my brother says I probably won't make it.

My bf was sympathetic cuz hes been fired from jobs cuz of missed days, even when his grandma died. He knows Ive struggled to find work and knows how tight money is as a college student.

I feel like I can be dutiful to both family and work but at a price. After all bosses dont understand but youd think family would.

And this is only his 8th grade grad. I'd feel more obligated to go if he was giving a speech. Plus, Id never miss his hs and college grad!

pitprincess
Originally posted by kgirln

I got a job 2 weeks ago that doesnt schedule a lot of hrs

Try asking your boss about scheduleing around a time so you can attend if you really want to go, maybe get some one to cover your shift while in return you take their shift to replace their helping you.

Talk to your boss, let them know whats happening and how your feeling about your new job.

And this is only his 8th grade grad. I'd feel more obligated to go if he was giving a speech. Plus, Id never miss his hs and college grad!

I would be the same way as you on this but to them at their age's its a "Big Special" in their life :)

I hope things work out so you can attend :)

It is a big deal, but he's also headed for high school and for learning about the hard facts of life; one of which is that employers can be idiots and make you suffer for no reason. You need a job and you know you'll be in trouble if you take the day off. Your bro will have to understand that it is not your choice and that some things cannot be helped.

Pyrannaste

I guess high school graduation is a huge deal to some people, but I think that if you could not make it and your brother got upset at you he'd be overreacting.

Anyway,

I thought maybe I could go to work then rush to his graduation, but my brother says I probably won't make it.

I suggest that you try this ...and rush to his graduation *even if you were 100% positive you are not in time to make it*.

Even in the worst case, i.e. you are not on time and miss his graduation, you'd show him that you *care* for his graduation and that you wanted to be there.

Don't get a day off with lying about a death in the family. For no reason! You'd *really* risk losing your job.

Hope your brother will understand you. I also think it would be very selfish of him to get angry at you if you do anything possible to be there *except* losing your dream job.

Pyrannaste

woops, I keep confusing grades. :o:o so eight grade= not high school and high school=college?

You are 12 or 13 years old in eighth grade. High school, depending on which grades you have, is usually grades 9-12 or ages 13-14 to 18-19. College/university is after that.

Originally posted by moimeme

You are 12 or 13 years old in eighth grade. High school, depending on which grades you have, is usually grades 9-12 or ages 13-14 to 18-19. College/university is after that.

Could you please explain that again? After the 8-th grade (when you're 12 or 13) comes... what? 9-th to 12-th, when you're about 16. This is high school. What comes next? Where does 18-19 go?

I've never understood that!!!

Grade school - from grades 1 to 8, progressively, by year. Eight years. From about 5 to about 13 or 6 to 14. If you go to kindergarten (before grade 1) you start younger.

Next is high school. Four years. Therefore, add four. Grades 9-12. Again. progressively by year.

So, if you add four years to 14, you are 18 when you leave high school. So you begin at 6 and end twelve years later at 18.