Am I right to assume it was just an ego thing?

I dated a guy for 4-5 months and I felt like he was getting flakey towards the end. He actually stood me up for a date (later claiming his phone got wet) So I sent him a simple text just saying that I didnt think he was that into seeing me and I was going to move on. He never responded until about two weeks later with the phone excuse and then asked if we could just be friends and I just thanked him for the apology (even though I didnt buy it) but I never answered the hang out as friends comment. So several weeks later I guess I had a moment of weakness and texted him. He responded immediately and asked me to come meet him after my HH plans. I did - long story short it was a fun but weird night. We started talking again for about a week - he was out of town but probably texted me more in that week than he ever had before and then he disappeared. Now I never iniated conversations with him and always tried to have him "lead". So I never texted him. I am not a chase after a guy kind of girl. It had been about 8 weeks and I sent in a donation (that I stupidly thought was anonymous) to a charity thing of his. He texted me and thanked me for the donation - I just sent a short reply of congrats and he responded with a Thank You! So I dont hear from him again until Thanksgiving Day - and I just get a Happy Thanksgiving. Well I got lots of those texts that day and most of them are sent from my friends and family to multipule people. But I did again reply with a short text. Now again nothing for a few weeks and honestly I doubt I will hear from him again. I guess I like to learn from all of my dating experiences (I was married for 10 years so I feel like dating is so different now) I have been dating for a couple years and enjoying it. I will admit that he is one of the first guys in the past 3 years that I have really liked and I guess I pegged him as a really good guy but frankly when I really look at his behavior while we dated without blinders on it doesnt paint the same picture. So I guess my questions would be - is this disappearing thing common (its never happened to me) and why even bother contacting me after that? Is it just an ego thing or an attempt to feel better about his behavior because I responded - so maybe he thinks I am not mad? Just curious if anyone else has experienced that and if they can share their thoughts?

Also after reading a bunch of post on here I can say from experience that exs do come back. My ex husband and I dated for 4 months right after college - he broke up with me because he thought we were too serious too fast - So I accepted it and did NC. Moved to another State and almost 2 years later he calls because he is has moved down here. We got back together and he asked me to marry him after a month. I made him wait 2 years because I am not the shotgun type. I always knew in the back of my mind that he was the one for me but I couldnt force him to be ready. Some times thing work out the way they should. Yes we are divorced now but for unforseen reasons that happened later in the marriage.