Just practice every day. Every single day.

My wife couldn't do one before, but is now able to do three unassisted and more with weight assistance. I'm a climber so I do multiple variations using as few as one finger or just the tips.

It's all a matter of consistent practice.

THIS. Just practice cerridwen. Chocolat, tman, PP, and the others have given you good tips.

Keep at it, kid.

• Author
THIS. Just practice cerridwen. Chocolat, tman, PP, and the others have given you good tips.

Keep at it, kid.

I will.

Thanks.

lordWilhelm

I also find pull-ups near impossible. I cannot even complete 1 rep.

The best I can do for now is to give myself a boost from my feet and try to slow my pull-down part. If I keep doing this hopefully I will get to the point where I can do one proper rep.

• Author
dont let anyone stop you.

Thanks, fitgirl. :)

I also find pull-ups near impossible. I cannot even complete 1 rep.

The best I can do for now is to give myself a boost from my feet and try to slow my pull-down part. If I keep doing this hopefully I will get to the point where I can do one proper rep.

If I can do them, you can too lordW.

I just came from the gym and they're getting better.

I'm not yet strong enough to do them unassisted, but even after all the laps I swam (most of them butterfly), my upper body was still strong enough to do 10.

I used to be able to do pull ups without breaking a sweat. I could do 10 with no problem, but that was in high school, when I weighed at most 105 lbs by my senior year. I'm at least 20 lbs heavier now and I can hardly manage one. :laugh:

Yes. :o

As for the kipping debate, I understand it's intent for those who struggle with ONE pullup, but for anyone who can do more than 2, I'd rather see them do fewer "real" pullups that focus tension on the back muscles as the exercise is designed to do than do twice as many flailing about like they're pissing and sh*tting themselves at the same time. Proponents of kipping also argue that a kipping pullup actuates the core in the same exercise. How about you do two separate exercises that are actually effective rather than one that half asses multiple muscle groups...?

I'm a HUGE fan of weighted pullups. I recommend them to anyone looking to increase their pullup numbers.

Edited by USMCHokie
  • Author
Yes. :o

As for the kipping debate, I understand it's intent for those who struggle with ONE pullup, but for anyone who can do more than 2, I'd rather see them do fewer "real" pullups that focus tension on the back muscles as the exercise is designed to do than do twice as many flailing about like they're pissing and sh*tting themselves at the same time. Proponents of kipping also argue that a kipping pullup actuates the core in the same exercise. How about you do two separate exercises that are actually effective rather than one that half asses multiple muscle groups...?

I'm a HUGE fan of weighted pullups. I recommend them to anyone looking to increase their pullup numbers.

I'm assuming the bold is rhetorical (?).

How does a person do weighted pull ups, if you don't mind explaining.

PelicanPete
I'm assuming the bold is rhetorical (?).

How does a person do weighted pull ups, if you don't mind explaining.

The most comfortable way to do weighted pullups is either have a weighted vest, or use a specially sort of belt which you can hook plates onto. If you don't have any of the specialized equipment for it you can always get creative. Wearing a backpack full of weight is one way, the way I use is just having some sort of rope hang attached to a tighter belt and hanging dumbbells from it.

• Author
The most comfortable way to do weighted pullups is either have a weighted vest, or use a specially sort of belt which you can hook plates onto. If you don't have any of the specialized equipment for it you can always get creative. Wearing a backpack full of weight is one way, the way I use is just having some sort of rope hang attached to a tighter belt and hanging dumbbells from it.

Ah, then. I'd say you and USMCHokie are much more hardcore than I.

I'm just going for a simple ten.

As you were, gentlemen. :)

• Author
marked for deleteion. girls shoulodnt do pullups

moron shoulnt push keeyys