He's abusive, I'm scared.

I really need to update the first post.... does anyone know how to do this???

You can't. Editing rules on this forum are set so that once someone posts "after" a given post of yours, you cannot go back and edit that post any more. (I think there may also be a time limit, so that it gets "locked" after a certain time, even if nobody has posted after you...)

The main rationale, I believe, is that anyone who posts after you bases their comments on your post as written. If people could "go back" in a discussion and edit their words once a discussion has ensued, it could make for some very confusing and disjointed reading. ("You said 'A' and I don't agree." OP edits original post and replies "No I didn't say 'A', I said 'B' - what the heck are you talking about", etc...)

So you gotta live with what you put out there. Make sure you can live with it before you hit "Submit"...

please email me.. i just got out of the same thing... were just going through the court process now of him assaulting me. i would love to talk to you. im still having a lot of emotional problems from this.. but i would love to talk to you. [email protected]. stay strong you can do it

• Author

Trimmer-

The first post reads exactly how I wanted it, I didn't want to change it because I "couldn't live" with what I wrote. I want to change it to avoid people responding to this thread without reading the entire thing, and they are thus disjointing the dialogue. I simply want to add to it an update at the bottom so they won't respond to a problem that no longer exists. I am going to contact a moderator.

Trimmer-

The first post reads exactly how I wanted it, I didn't want to change it because I "couldn't live" with what I wrote. I want to change it to avoid people responding to this thread without reading the entire thing, and they are thus disjointing the dialogue. I simply want to add to it an update at the bottom so they won't respond to a problem that no longer exists. I am going to contact a moderator.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was getting on you personally when I said "Make sure you can live with it before you hit Submit..." I was just echoing the common line around here that follows from the reasoning behind the editing limitations. But that definitely came off sounding a little pushy, and "know-it-all" - my apologies.

And yes, there are always people who read the first post or two and then hit reply and give a passionate response without following the thread as it has developed. The funny ones (perhaps not for the participants, though...) are where someone has cheated or there's a real serious problem in a relationship or something like that, and over time, the process their situation and the couple is working on it and getting better, everything has calmed down, etc.

And then someone will come to the thread, having only read the first couple posts, and launch a rant, "You should throw him out. He's a scumbag piece of garbage and doesn't deserve to breathe air, let alone be in a mature, adult relationship, etc. etc. etc." And it's like, "uh yeah - we're back together and working on things now..."

• Author

I have started a new thread here. This will contain my updates from now on. I do have an update, so please check it out.