quit smoking 28 days ago

I want to prove to myself that I am not a doormat - I am a strong person and I can deal with all this stuff. I am going through so much stress - marriage breaking down, hostility, anger, not to mention my heart is broken in two, and I have to move with the kids and be a single parent... stress...!

So I quit smoking. It's been soooooooo hard. But I am doing it!

I just wanted to toot my own horn a little bit here...;)

Good for you! Think of it as a liberating experience - because that's exactly what it is. No more addiction, no more having to have a cigarette feelings, no more money out the window, no more **** down your lungs on a regular basis, better breathing, better health, better finances.... there's freedom ahead of you. Keep going :) and read the Allan Carr book if you need more motivation.

whichwayisup

Congrats! You picked a very stressful time in your life to quit! You have courage to do that!

Hope you're still going strong with the no smoking. Let us know, please, inspire ME so I can get the courage to quit smoking as well! :)

• Author

Thanks everyone! Yes I am still going strong. It's a stressful time of my life, that is for damn sure, but look at me - I'm doing it!

No more morning coughing, no more avoiding the kids' hugs because I smell like smoke, no more $$ down the drain....

If I make it to 2 months, I am treating myself to a teeth whitening treatment!

Come on, you can do it too!

PI

laRubiaBonita

congrats to you!!!!

i quit 31 days ago..... so i totally understand what you are going through!

toot that horn of accomplishment loud and proud! :bunny::bunny:

whichwayisup
Thanks everyone! Yes I am still going strong. It's a stressful time of my life, that is for damn sure, but look at me - I'm doing it!

No more morning coughing, no more avoiding the kids' hugs because I smell like smoke, no more $$ down the drain....

If I make it to 2 months, I am treating myself to a teeth whitening treatment!

Come on, you can do it too!

PI

I don't know why I'm so scared to quit? Maybe afraid of dealing with the nicotin withdrawal..

Congrats that you're going strong! And you too LRB!

I DO look forward to not smelling of smoke, not coughing, saving money..

pureinheart
I want to prove to myself that I am not a doormat - I am a strong person and I can deal with all this stuff. I am going through so much stress - marriage breaking down, hostility, anger, not to mention my heart is broken in two, and I have to move with the kids and be a single parent... stress...!

So I quit smoking. It's been soooooooo hard. But I am doing it!

I just wanted to toot my own horn a little bit here...;)

Awesome...I hear people say all of the time, that they have too much stress in their lives to quit, but when isn't life stressful? Certainly there are those times that are worse than others, although I think when you know it's the time, do it, no matter what:)

How are you doing it...I did it with patches...YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!

pureinheart
I don't know why I'm so scared to quit? Maybe afraid of dealing with the nicotin withdrawal..

Congrats that you're going strong! And you too LRB!

I DO look forward to not smelling of smoke, not coughing, saving money..

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) I was scared to quit also. I feared the withdrawls and the possibility of not following through, it's like I couldn't handle failure as I had tried many times before...also one time I had quit for 5 yrs and was gonna "just have one" and within a week was smoking more than when I'd quit.

You know what is a trip WWIU, both me and my mom quit at the same time without telling each other...the same thing happened when we started again...I just thought that was weird.

It's no easy thing, cigs were my gods, my friends...me and my cigs did everything together.

When I quit it was not pretty, me and my old friend almost killed each other, we quit at the same time. My daughter stayed away for a long time because she had been around me before when I attempted to quit...

I became less tolerant of BS in my life during that time lol....

WWIU, when it is meant to happen it will....I remember the exact day and hour ...6pm July 2nd...almost 3 yrs ago...I smoked 2+ packs a day but didn't inhale, only taking the smoke to my throat then blowing it out, but that did not matter, it was still getting into my system bigtime.

• Author

I just found pictures by mistake on my husband's computer - I was not snooping, just looking for pictures for my kid's class project - and came across a file of hundreds of pictures of the woman my H was (is?) in love with. I freaked out and smoked 3 butts. :(

Hopefully this is just a relapse - it really was a horrible surprise, this discovery.

I'll let you know how I do - I don't want to be discouraged over one slip-up, but you know how we smokers are... planning to continue with non-smoking tomorrow since I've been going a month now.

Wish me luck. I took a sleeping pill so hopefully will feel better tomorrow. H is away on business so I have time to calm down and get back on my 180.

Thanks for the support. What a bummer.

PI

Feelin Frisky

Bravo. You'll never be sorry you quit smoking. You've made it through the hardest period. Another two months and you'll have really adjusted to life without the addiction. Stck with it. You're worth it.

bentnotbroken
I just found pictures by mistake on my husband's computer - I was not snooping, just looking for pictures for my kid's class project - and came across a file of hundreds of pictures of the woman my H was (is?) in love with. I freaked out and smoked 3 butts. :(

Hopefully this is just a relapse - it really was a horrible surprise, this discovery.

I'll let you know how I do - I don't want to be discouraged over one slip-up, but you know how we smokers are... planning to continue with non-smoking tomorrow since I've been going a month now.

Wish me luck. I took a sleeping pill so hopefully will feel better tomorrow. H is away on business so I have time to calm down and get back on my 180.

Thanks for the support. What a bummer.

PI

It is just a relapse. You can refocus.

• Author

I had the relapse Saturday. didn't smoke Sunday and now it's Monday and I feel confident again. Back on the non-smoking wagon!

Now I have to deal with my emotional relapse... my WS of a husband is coming back from a trip tomorrow and I want to keep up the 180 - calm and pleasant - but actually I feel like screaming and crying. Calm.... calm...

No need to beat yourself up over a relapse given those circumstances. Just keep looking forward :)

WorldIsYours
No need to beat yourself up over a relapse given those circumstances. Just keep looking forward :)

yuppers.:o

• Author

Didn't have one Sun or Mon. Today I went to my H's office and told him I wanted him out. I have been doing a great 180 for 5 weeks and just threw it all away. Got angry. Embarrassed him at work.

Also backed my car into the garage door and broke it.

Then I had a cigarette just now.

I hate myself right now.

laRubiaBonita

are you on the patch or gum or anything??

i have done it cold turkey once- years ago; it stuck for a year or two.

this time i did the patch. i will not lie, at first, and on the patch, i did probably have 1-2 puffs off the same cigarette that i had bummed from someone every day for the first week.

then, week two, i said nope- i WILL do this a whole week, and i pretty much did, minus a puff or two when i was with my sis.

week three, again, i say nope.... but i bum one from someone.

week four, none.

i am on week 5, and still none.

so yeah- i have had slips, but i am plugging along.

you can too! :o:bunny::bunny:

• Author

Things have been so horrible and upsetting, I have had a few in the last few days. There is only so much strength a girl can have.

But I'm not giving up yet. I'm dying for one right now, but not going to the store to buy any....

Time to brew some tea...

laRubiaBonita

just keep going.... set backs are ok, they are NOT the end!! do not give up!

• 4 weeks later...

Well done. I quit 3 months ago. your kids will be grateful you quit, you have added years to your life and increased the money in your pocket.

the first month is the hardest (you have that behind you now)

i still get the urge at times of stress, but find that it passes quite quickly. you just need to divert your attention and you will forget about the craving.

keep going. it's worth it

Do whatever it takes to stay smoke free. OK let's forget for a moment that it will kill you, the costs are over the top lately. Think of all the great things you can do with that extra money! I have heard that the nicotine is actually out of your system in 3 days, after that you just have to re-train yourself, behavior wise, to do something else instead of smoke.

All the luck in the world to you.........you can do it. Nothing is impossible, nothing!