Does ............... mean anything in texts?

red shoes

What does "maybe we can go out when you're free then........?" Is that omission of information or to be read between the lines?

A trailing off thought......

My speculation is that he does not have high confidence that you will agree to going out when you're free, hence........

• Author
A trailing off thought......

My speculation is that he does not have high confidence that you will agree to going out when you're free, hence........

That suggests he's left it in my court? And that he's stopped trying even though he was acting like an ass to being with?

ShatteredReality

If he was acting like an ass do you want to go out with him? You shouldn't have to chase him...on the other hand, a man will only chase so long before he tires out - so don't make them chase until they're so winded they give up.

• Author
If he was acting like an ass do you want to go out with him?

I'm only pissed that he didn't even feel more apologetic and try more after acting like an ass but leaving it in my court. :mad:

If he was trying any harder, he would have used a question mark instead of ellipses.

ShatteredReality

Well if you want to give him another shot tell him the next two or three days that you're free...next week or the following week...then the ball is in his court again to choose the date and make plans. If he doesn't do it soon, if he waits till the day before, you should have made plans by then and you're more than willing the following time you're free kind of thing....

• Author
Well if you want to give him another shot tell him the next two or three days that you're free...next week or the following week...then the ball is in his court again to choose the date and make plans. If he doesn't do it soon, if he waits till the day before, you should have made plans by then and you're more than willing the following time you're free kind of thing....

Is your interpretation of the ellipses that he's aware of my annoyance and is backing off a little? I mean that's what I'm after before making a decision on it.

ShatteredReality
Is your interpretation of the ellipses that he's aware of my annoyance and is backing off a little? I mean that's what I'm after before making a decision on it.

Yes. Unless he's some kind of grammar hound - you have to ignore misspellings and what punctuation you feel should be there. My H sometimes spells words so badly they actually form other words...he's not uneducated or dumb - it's not just his area of expertise. He's more into math. Anyhow - yes - he probably senses you are annoyed and is afraid of the rejection he's no doubt experienced before from other girls when similarly annoyed with him.

• Author
Yes. Unless he's some kind of grammar hound - you have to ignore misspellings and what punctuation you feel should be there. My H sometimes spells words so badly they actually form other words...he's not uneducated or dumb - it's not just his area of expertise. He's more into math. Anyhow - yes - he probably senses you are annoyed and is afraid of the rejection he's no doubt experienced before from other girls when similarly annoyed with him.

If so, you would expect someone that knows he's been acting like an ass and knows of someone else's annoyance to apologize more or make amends instead of just backing off at the first sign of obstacle. :sick:

Sorry I'm venting.

ShatteredReality

How old is this guy? Not all men think like that...not all women do for that matter. He may think that if he gives you time you'll cool of...he may not even know what he did wrong depending on how dense he is about the whole thing.

Now, if you go out with him and he is a jerk, don't continue the relationship. However, if you go out with him and he's totally great to you and it's a perfect night, you can admit to him that he did something out of line or said something out of line and that's why you acted the way that you did. Once he realizes he's made a mistake he probably will apologize. If he doesn't then he's even thicker headed than I am thinking he is now.

• Author
How old is this guy? Not all men think like that...not all women do for that matter. He may think that if he gives you time you'll cool of...he may not even know what he did wrong depending on how dense he is about the whole thing.

Now, if you go out with him and he is a jerk, don't continue the relationship. However, if you go out with him and he's totally great to you and it's a perfect night, you can admit to him that he did something out of line or said something out of line and that's why you acted the way that you did. Once he realizes he's made a mistake he probably will apologize. If he doesn't then he's even thicker headed than I am thinking he is now.

He's 38! He knows he did wrong because he apologized once but that wasn't trying enough IMO before leaving it in my court. He's apologized more for other less grave mistakes.

ShatteredReality

Oh well then he just doesn't get the severity of what he's done. He probably knows he screwed up but doesn't get quite how much...or maybe he thinks he screwed up worse than he did and you're going to have his head for it...either way - the trail off was cause he knows he's in the dog house. I say put the ball back in his court and let him do the walking.

xpaperxcutx

Am I missing the whole story here? What did he do that consitituted him being categorized an ass?:confused::confused:

It means you are left to fill in the blanks. As in "yes that sounds good" or "no i cant make it".

Instead of asking directly he is letting you finish the sentence.............. :p

Jesus christ...whatever happened to dialing the goddamn phone number for a real conversation. A problem shared is a problem sooner solved.

I 'hear' that texting is the new preferred method of communication. It's a brave new world ;)

I just stumbled on the other thread where she said she got into a text argument. Are you kidding me? A text argument!?! That makes me chuckle like a fat man with a bear claw.

She was born without balls and his apparently never dropped. Now they are both left...balless? Yep, brave new world alright hiding behind devices without ever developing any interpersonal skills.

IIRC, in another thread, where I asked if a third party was mute (texting issues, kinda like this thread), I was informed that, for many people, texting is as intimate as talking. Learn something new every day :)

IIRC, in another thread, where I asked if a third party was mute (texting issues, kinda like this thread), I was informed that, for many people, texting is as intimate as talking. Learn something new every day :)

Nothing intimate about it in my opinion. Just an on demand ego stroke.

phenotype22
I just stumbled on the other thread where she said she got into a text argument. Are you kidding me? A text argument!?! That makes me chuckle like a fat man with a bear claw.

She was born without balls and his apparently never dropped. Now they are both left...balless?

This left me laughing. :lmao::laugh:

Nothing intimate about it in my opinion. Just an on demand ego stroke.

Yes, you have a point.

I am new back to dating and find the whole text thing weird.... I change my mind about it from one day to the other.

I have also had an argument by text :mad:, jeez.

It can be harmless/fun but when wires get crossed it can be very frustrating. It is problemmatic because you are not having a real argument/conversation out in the open, just sniping.

• Author
It means you are left to fill in the blanks. As in "yes that sounds good" or "no i cant make it".

Instead of asking directly he is letting you finish the sentence.............. :p

Doesn't a question mark do the similar thing?

xpaperxcutx
Doesn't a question mark do the similar thing?

You're reading too much into it. If I decide to answer a joke with a smiley are you going to accuse me a hidden agenda?

• Author
You're reading too much into it. If I decide to answer a joke with a smiley are you going to accuse me a hidden agenda?

It's too long to go into it here but because of our "history" that I knew there was something more to it than pure ellipses.