5 ' 4 - 5 ' 6 girls maintaining their weights.

I am recovering from being a little underweight, and am wondering what normal gals maintain on?

I am 5 ' 5, or 166cm, and about 120 lbs. I aim to get to about 115 - 116 as my ideal weight.

I ate about 2500 cals to gain weight to 120 lbs and only recently decreased to more normal amounts, and have lost a teeny bit of weight, although nothing serious.

I eat about 2000 - 2200 a day at the moment, with exercise. i ate 2500 to gain weight, from 110 - to 120 lbs, because apparently, I had to gain to a BMI of 20 to restore my health after being underweight. Whatever.

if I ate the recommendations, which is about only 1660 cals for me (if I do no execise), I feel like I would be very small again. BUt apparently, after an ED, it is better to maintain on higher amounts, like 2000 - 2200 completely inactive.

Anyw ays, I am just interested as to what amount of calories the girls here eat, to maintain their weights.

I never got professional help, but I have read a lot about it, and for full recovery, so many ppl say to eat higher than normal amounts to maintain, after u have been underweight.

They say if I cannot maintain on HUGe amounts, I should just gain weight, because it isbetter for me.

Whatever though - I like being slim ( but still healthy), and my logic tells me that if I just eat a normal amount, like other girls my size, and if I eat at LEASt what he standard calorie calculators say, and am not hungry, then what is the matter?

When I recovered from my bulimia, I gained a good 10-20 lbs.

After starving yourself, your body automatically stores whatever nutirents you put into it as fat, because you traumatized it into starvation mode.

To maintain your current weight w/ exercise, just eat 2000 calories. 1600 is a normal calorie decifit for 150lb women looking to lose 1-2 lbs a week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I don't think 2000 with exercise is enough to really lose. My body does not NEED to lose at this point, it is just for vanity. I want to be as thin as I can, without being unhealthy and too thin for my body type.

If I ate 2000, and burnt 400 - 500, that would still only be maintenance, according to the majority of calorit calculators.

So I would have to eat about 1700 - 1600, WITH exercise, to lose.

As long as I can maintain my goal weight, of about 116 lbs, on the recommendations, I feel it is fine.

On the other hand, it is a BAD sign if you CANNOT maintain a low weight on the recommendations - for example, if you only maintain the low weigght by UNDER EATING, then it means your body is not supposed to be at that weight to begin with.

So I will see what happens. I only have 500 or 600 cals left and it is onlt 12.00 today. I may eat 2000 SOME days, and 1600 most days.

WHAT I am doing is AGAINST what some eating disorder experts say; they say that after an ED, you NEED to keep a BMI 20, and it is foolish to lose more.

The thing is, being slim and doing Pilates and keeping healthy is part of who I am, and I have the knowledge about nutrients and calories and whaT IS dangerous, for me to be able to be as thin as possible, but without being unhealthy.

IT IS RARE that a person like me, who has had an eating disorder, CAN stay at a low weight; it is normally very dangerous to do. But as long a sI look and feel healthy and can function well, and am not clouded my disordered thoughts around food, I think it is OKAY for me to want to lose a few lbs.

Many women, especially in the LA regious of CA in the USE ( I am in Australia by the way), ALSO have the goal of being as thin as possible. MANY of these women are very haqrdcore about it, and eat only 1200 a day, and WORK OUT a LOT, with spin , Pilates, and etc.

Where as I am at least going about being thin in a healthy way. I am going as thin as I can for MY body type, and would NEVER eat under the 1600 recommendations.

In fact, to maintain 115 - 117 lbs, my goal, I feel I could eat 1900 - 2000 WITH exercise.

But only to maintain. To lose 1600 - 1700 with exercise sounds more feasible.

I was 120 last time I weighed but it is my period and I have asked my dad to hide the scales until after my period.