Is Satan With Us?

Do you believe in Satan? As in do you believe that an horrible, evil entity walks among us causing people to do evil?

What got me thinking about this was an article on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/02/stayner.kidnapper.ap/index.html

that tells the story of a man now 72 who put in an order to buy an "english speaking black boy" aged 4 to 6. Now if that wasn't bad enough this guy had done time 30 years ago for kidnapping a 7 year old, changing his name, and keeping him as his child and sex toy until the boy was 14. Then the man kidnaps another boy 5, and tries to keep him too but gets caught.

The man got only 5 years for kidnapping and his past record is not allowed to be explained to jurors in this new case.

The kidnapped boy later dies in a mottorcyle accident. Now what really caused me to consider Satan is that the kidnapped boy's brother is the guy who killed 4 women in Yosemite in 1999. Just seems like too much evil for so few people.

I believe in bad people, but I don't give them the benefit of the doubt by saying some cosmic force drives them to evil--I think that they need full responsibility for their actions. I have trouble believing in a Satan--Our free will is our devil, and that's quite enough.

Clancy

Maybe some people are cursed.

twistedheaven

I don't give them the benefit of the doubt by saying some cosmic force drives them to evil

Satan is a spirit and is incapable of using force. If that were possible, the ICBMs would have been launched years ago.

Imagine how much easier it would be for an agent of destruction to wreak havoc if everybody denied his existence.

Giving a name to something gives you power over it.

I think there may well be acts of pure evil; but I more believe that the things you described result from badly-wired brains.

I find it bizarre that people can accept that there are thousands of possible physical defects which can affect all the other organs of the body but that somehow everybody is born with a perfectly-functioning brain and therefore that every person chooses each action rationally.

There is zero logic in that, not to mention the science that shows how brains can go wrong. Those things in our heads are just other hunks of meat that can be broken and those folks have broken brains.

moimeme

Since everybody has the capacity for evil, wouldn’t that make all of our brains defective?

What if feeling is the natural response, and thinking is the product of a broken brain?

Some people seem to think they are perfect.

I don’t think science has all of the answers.

Since everybody has the capacity for evil, wouldn’t that make all of our brains defective

No. The inability to control that capacity is what connotes 'defective'. There is a lot of recent science about the role of the 'executive function' of the brain and what happens if it's impaired. There will be more to come, and much of it will, I believe, drastically change the approaches used in dealing with antisocial behaviour.

What if feeling is the natural response, and thinking is the product of a broken brain?

Well, feeling IS the natural response. Why you'd propose that thinking would be 'the product of a broken brain' is puzzling. Not all brains are broken; and not all the same way but we all think - that is, after all, the function of the brain. You can propose any number of impossible hypotheticals, but they don't inform this discussion.

I don't think it's always the cause of a 'broken brain' which causes one to go 'bad'.. I feel it's an amalgamation of broken things - a broken past, a broken heart, broken mind and a broken soul and spirit. Taking major punt here, assuming when one may feel major depression in many of these states, they are more likely able to inflict pain on another. If there is a slight spark of light, faith, hope within them, I'm hoping they are able to keep of slightly 'clear mind' and control - maybe I'm just optimistic.

As long as there is light, there will always be dark. As long as there is love, there will always be hate. There will always be contrast and friction to move forward in time. We can't go blaming Satan for the actions of man. He's here with a duty - to reflect only that which is within. It's time each person took responsibility for their own actions. For as much as the Devil may be in our heads and tempting goodwill, God is there too. It's the options we make in times of crisis that determine who we are.

The same person who has shown major evil earlier in his life, is the same one who could one day save u from dying or committing a sin against another. I'm trying hard to not be so judgemental of those who r going thru crisis. He will judge himself harshly enough one day.

Yes Satan is among us - but he watches us the same way the stars and God does.

As long as u hold no spiritual fear, and keep the faith at all times - particularly in times of crisis, he cannot touch u... There is nothing to fear but fear itself... All we can do is send Satan on his way with love... Love will overcome him...

Sorry - forgot what u'd written bout old man who kidnaps the young and innocent. This man has chosen his fate. He will pay in due time. It won't b God who will punish him, but his own spirit, when the time comes. Karma will return threefold on him - with his own doing (universal law). It will come right back around him and kick his behind. He will pay. I only pray that he is not able to inflict any more harm on the innocent.

The sad thing is his pain is caused due to pain inflicted on him. It's a vicious cycle. He hence then reflects his pain on others, who (if they do not see the light), will inflict pain on others, etc.. That is the work of Satan winning with temptation... When Satan has overcome the Godliness within... It's only when we can defeat this cycle among mankind that Satan may disappear and there may be peace...

They say God loves each of us equally, not one more than the other. In this case, is that then true? I'm assuming then that everyone has the right to redemption, compassion and sanctity. I pray for love. I have also thought often recently of what Jesus said when he was placed on the cross and betrayed by his people: "Forgive them Father, for they do not know"... Those words are beautiful to grasp... Could you imagine the beauty one would have to have inside, to already be forgiving someone while they are killing you? Ignorance is bliss? Let it not be so..