has anyone here ever flatlined and come back??

gypsy_nicky

reason I'm asking because I want to find out if people here experienced the same sort of phenomenon mentioned in literature when ones body dies and is revived successfully-the near death experience.

Did you see anything (god, giants, demons etc)? Was it ugly or beautiful? Did you go out of your body and observe the world for a period of time? Or were you just flat out gone like there was nothing and bam you woke up again.

Yes and it hurt, a lot. Other than the pain I felt complete fear and panic, lungs stopped working, (also very painful) lost my sight (more panic), a few seconds of mentally screaming (because it hurt so damned much I couldn't even make a noise) a few flashbacks, a few seconds of fighting with all I had and then sweet FA.

Waking up was sudden, I remember taking a huge gasp of breath, so big it felt like my lungs would explode, and was desperately trying to stop breathing in so I could breath some air out again. I was still in a blind panic, still fighting (shouting out loud this time though) and the ambulance driver had to stop so he could jump in the back and help the paramedics pin me down and "happy" me up enough to realize everything was working again. I then slept for a long time.

I flatlined for 28 minutes in 2007...then 6 more times in the subsequent hours.

I didn't see anything. Nothing...I mean an absolute void...

Made me totally rethink about a so-called afterlife.

I do know I was never scared of death...and my opinion and feelings about death haven't changed. To me...once I'm gone...I'm gone...

pureinheart
Yes and it hurt, a lot. Other than the pain I felt complete fear and panic, lungs stopped working, (also very painful) lost my sight (more panic), a few seconds of mentally screaming (because it hurt so damned much I couldn't even make a noise) a few flashbacks, a few seconds of fighting with all I had and then sweet FA.

Waking up was sudden, I remember taking a huge gasp of breath, so big it felt like my lungs would explode, and was desperately trying to stop breathing in so I could breath some air out again. I was still in a blind panic, still fighting (shouting out loud this time though) and the ambulance driver had to stop so he could jump in the back and help the paramedics pin me down and "happy" me up enough to realize everything was working again. I then slept for a long time.

Glad you guys are still here, although I am sorry you were in so much pain and fear...I can totally understand...and Crow, glad you weren't in pain;).

Glad you guys are still here, although I am sorry you were in so much pain and fear...I can totally understand...and Crow, glad you weren't in pain;).

Thank you Pure.

I must admit I am glad the fear was there, it was a pure flight or fight response. Before it all went blank I can remember workmates attempting cpr, shouting at me to breath etc. In my head I was shouting the same things, willing my heart and lungs to kick in again. I really did not want to go.

Years later I spoke to a friend who went through a similar thing when he was fighting in the Yemen. He told me that during those final stages whilst he was aware of people trying to keep him alive, all he wanted was for both them and the pain to go away so he could slide off peacefully.

I would be interested to know of Crows response? Whether he accepted his time was up or if he was fighting till the bitter end?

LucreziaBorgia

Yes, my bp bottomed out during my final surgery in '08, and they had to jump my heart to get it going again. I wasn't aware of it until some time later when my MIL told me it happened.

I didn't have an NDE, but I came out of the experience a lot more spiritual and connected than I was before.

I watched a show just the other day called 'I Survived... Death and Back'. Here's the link to it, I think you might find it interesting, I know I did.

http://www.biography.com/listings/episode_details.do?episodeid=510282

All three of them had some sort of vision, or feeling. They all came out of it saying that it was the most peaceful time of their life and they are no longer afraid of death. However, there is a dispute that what they 'saw' and 'felt' is merely their brain still functioning after flat-lining. They said in the show that your brain is still active for up to 4 minutes (I believe it's 4 minutes, it might be 5) after your heart stops working.

Either way, it's a pretty interesting show to watch.

I once flatlined for about two minutes as the result of a severe allergic reaction. I experienced nothing. In fact, what was most striking was that I had no sensation at all of time having passed. It was as if I blinked and was suddenly on the floor with someone trying to revive me. No, I think when you're dead, you're gone. The good news is it is not painful or anything. You just don't exist anymore.

I was wondering whether any of those who felt nothingness had any sort of faith previous to the NDE?

Take care,

Eve xx

I was wondering whether any of those who felt nothingness had any sort of faith previous to the NDE?

Take care,

Eve xx

This is the summary of the show I previously mentioned:

This special profiles the extraordinary stories of three ordinary people who literally died and then came back to life. Deb's heart stops shortly after delivering her second child, Steve is brutally stabbed by his schizophrenic brother, and Michaela is severely injured in a deadly car accident--each one literally flatlines, yet has inexplicable but very real experiences while they are clinically dead. None of them had a preconceived notion of the afterlife--what happened to each of them during the period they flatlined is described with such compelling honesty that even the staunchest cynics will be left pondering these extraordinary experiences.

Also, a bit off topic, but i'd also like to point out that one of the women in this show actually had an out of body experience after she had flatlined. She walked into the waiting room of the hospital she was in, and watched a conversation between her father and grandmother. She was able to repeat everything they had said, and the mother appeared on the show and claimed that there would have been no way for her to know that exact conversation unless she was actually there.

Definitely something to think about.

whichwayisup
reason I'm asking because I want to find out if people here experienced the same sort of phenomenon mentioned in literature when ones body dies and is revived successfully-the near death experience.

Did you see anything (god, giants, demons etc)? Was it ugly or beautiful? Did you go out of your body and observe the world for a period of time? Or were you just flat out gone like there was nothing and bam you woke up again.

Nope, not me.

I do know when my father was dying, he 'saw' something and felt a warmth.

Ever see that movie Flatliners with Kiefer Sutherland and Julia Roberts? Good movie, except.. Well, I won't say anything else incase you haven't seen it..

whichwayisup
I once flatlined for about two minutes as the result of a severe allergic reaction. I experienced nothing. In fact, what was most striking was that I had no sensation at all of time having passed. It was as if I blinked and was suddenly on the floor with someone trying to revive me. No, I think when you're dead, you're gone. The good news is it is not painful or anything. You just don't exist anymore.

The essense and energy, the 'spirit' of who you are (general you) has to go somewhere. That passion, zest that brings people to life. Not talking the brain, heart and other organs and body.

I hopethere's something more out there after we die. Life on earth can't be it.

Yeah, I've been there. No tunnel or bright light or any of that nonsense. Mostly just fear. Panic really. Strange thing, I do remember things going on of which I should not have been aware. Efforts to bring me back, things that were said, and such. Why I know them who can say? Maybe I imagined them. Not according to others who were there, though.

This is the summary of the show I previously mentioned:

Also, a bit off topic, but i'd also like to point out that one of the women in this show actually had an out of body experience after she had flatlined. She walked into the waiting room of the hospital she was in, and watched a conversation between her father and grandmother. She was able to repeat everything they had said, and the mother appeared on the show and claimed that there would have been no way for her to know that exact conversation unless she was actually there.

Definitely something to think about.

I was thinking about those who posted on here.

Regarding the link that you provided, yeah there are plenty of stories whereby specifics are mentioned that are astounding because the person was legally dead at the time. I like these accounts.

I cant say that I have had a NDE as such but I have experience of a spiritual death of sorts and I have been able to leave my body and astral project since I was a child. Most of my family can. I suppose this is why I understand I am more than a physical body.

I like accounts where people who had no faith speak of gaining understanding etc during a NDE, kind of gives me hope that people unable to express faith in this life can (possibly) have a second chance in death, or through death.

Interesting topic..

Take care,

Eve xx

The essense and energy, the 'spirit' of who you are (general you) has to go somewhere. That passion, zest that brings people to life. Not talking the brain, heart and other organs and body.

I hopethere's something more out there after we die. Life on earth can't be it.

I'm sorry, but that's just an assertion. No offense, but I doubt you or anyone else is in any positon to know more about the supernatural than I do.

There's no way to prove the existence of some "spirit" seperate from the body. My own belief is that what you call "spirit"--and what I would call "consciousness"-- is a by-product of electro-chemical activity in the brain. When the physical brain dies, our consciousness ends.

This really hit home for me as I watched my stepfather die of pancreatic cancer. As the disease progressed, his liver failed. Toxins infected his blood and his brain, and he fell into a coma.

If his consciousness were some "spirit," some entity seperate from the body, why did that happen? Clearly, as his brain became more and more damaged, his level of consciousness diminished. Ergo, his consciousness was inextricable connected to his brain. Had his spirt been seperate from his body, the toxins wouldn't have been able to touch it.

While I have never flat-lined, I've had a few blackouts before. How I ended up waking up back at my house the following afternoon I'll never know... :laugh:

• Author
gypsy_nicky
I'm sorry, but that's just an assertion. No offense, but I doubt you or anyone else is in any positon to know more about the supernatural than I do.

There's no way to prove the existence of some "spirit" seperate from the body. My own belief is that what you call "spirit"--and what I would call "consciousness"-- is a by-product of electro-chemical activity in the brain. When the physical brain dies, our consciousness ends.

This really hit home for me as I watched my stepfather die of pancreatic cancer. As the disease progressed, his liver failed. Toxins infected his blood and his brain, and he fell into a coma.

If his consciousness were some "spirit," some entity seperate from the body, why did that happen? Clearly, as his brain became more and more damaged, his level of consciousness diminished. Ergo, his consciousness was inextricable connected to his brain. Had his spirt been seperate from his body, the toxins wouldn't have been able to touch it.

the subject of consciousness and soul are still very much still in the works in the scientific community. Science is just but one solution.

This realm is mostly dealt with in metaphysics and philosophy.

• Author
gypsy_nicky

I dunno although so few related their experience here, I think its still debatable whether we do have an afterlife.

I made this thread because after experiencing first hand the deaths of my mother, friends, relatives etc (even that girl on here who died only after she lost her mum, her thread is still up 'for those who lost a loved one'), it makes you re-think about life:

Is it absurd or does it have meaning?

I think having an afterlife would definitely put more meaning into my life because my whole being, my whole existence will live on and I can look back to my own life.

If death was really the end of life=nothingness, doesnt it make life absurd? Why do we live, why do we love, why do we try to find happiness when in the end we don't experience anything at all. That's pretty scary stuff if you ask me.

• Author
gypsy_nicky
While I have never flat-lined, I've had a few blackouts before. How I ended up waking up back at my house the following afternoon I'll never know... :laugh:

that's different from dying hahaha

Happened to me too

laRubiaBonita
I dunno although so few related their experience here, I think its still debatable whether we do have an afterlife.

I made this thread because after experiencing first hand the deaths of my mother, friends, relatives etc (even that girl on here who died only after she lost her mum, her thread is still up 'for those who lost a loved one'), it makes you re-think about life:

Is it absurd or does it have meaning?

I think having an afterlife would definitely put more meaning into my life because my whole being, my whole existence will live on and I can look back to my own life.

If death was really the end of life=nothingness, doesnt it make life absurd? Why do we live, why do we love, why do we try to find happiness when in the end we don't experience anything at all. That's pretty scary stuff if you ask me.

Maybe if you are Really supposed die, you would have the "visions"/ experience something....

and those that do not weren't supposed to die at that point?

If death was really the end of life=nothingness, doesnt it make life absurd? Why do we live, why do we love, why do we try to find happiness when in the end we don't experience anything at all.

What's absurd is to be aware of death yet to live a life of nothingness. Knowing nothing awaits is a gift, use it wisely and you will experience everything and have a life worth living.

aerogurl87

I've read alot about NDE and I hope that people who have experienced them are on to something and there really is an afterlife. There are a few people I'd like to make amends with in another life.