Some talk in another thread made me think of this, that thread went a bit off topic so I thought I would post it here.

In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst. In the name of the values that keep you alive, do not let your vision of man be distorted by the ugly, the cowardly, the mindless in those who have never acheived his title. Do not lose your knowledge that mans proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not yet, the not at all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours.

Ayn Rand

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reasoning as his only absolute."

~Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged

"Don't rely on someone else for your happiness and self worth. Only you can be resposible for that. If you can't love and respect yourself no oneWill be able to make that happen. Accept who you are-completely; the

Good and the bad and make changes as you see fit-not becuase you

think someone else wants you to be different."

Mea:)

button7.jpg

[sIZE=2][COLOR=#ceb731][/COLOR][/sIZE]

1. Metaphysics - Objective Reality
  2. Epistemology - Reason
  3. Ethics - Self-interest
  4. Politics - Capitalism

'Tis a slippery slope, since anything can be rationalized based on self-interest as defined by point 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that's a great quote. Here is another..

That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character.

Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand is an amazing author...............

My favorite book of hers is the shortest, "Anthem".(although, the others are amazing, too).Individual identity versus collective thinking. Brilliant and thought-provoking.

I can't recommend it enough.........;)

A very popular '70's rock group even dedicated one of their biggest-selling albums to her genius. (the story in the album is based upon the book, "Anthem") (Rush, "2112", for those who don't already know.The lyrics take on a whole new significance after you read "Anthem")

Ayn Rand is an amazing author...............

My favorite book of hers is the shortest, "Anthem".(although, the others are amazing, too).Individual identity versus collective thinking. Brilliant and thought-provoking.

I can't recommend it enough.........;)

A very popular '70's rock group even dedicated one of their biggest-selling albums to her genius. (the story in the album is based upon the book, "Anthem") (Rush, "2112", for those who don't already know.The lyrics take on a whole new significance after you read "Anthem")

Since I have had a 'snow day' day today I have had opportunity to read up on Ayn. Interesting woman. I am interested in how peoples perspectives develop and her background is inspiring. :love: I have a feeling that my daughter would like her. I have found a book listing and will order some titles on our next visit to our beloved library.

LOVE reading philosophical view points of this struggle we call life.

Take care,

Eve xx

Reliant on how old your daughter is, there's a dark side to Rand, one where if she's not solid at core with her values, can create some serious narcissistic individuals.

I adore Rand's writings but don't fully embrace Objectivism. Note my previous post about "ethics = self-interest". It's a double-edged sword.

Reliant on how old your daughter is, there's a dark side to Rand, one where if she's not solid at core with her values, can create some serious narcissistic individuals.

I adore Rand's writings but don't fully embrace Objectivism. Note my previous post about "ethics = self-interest". It's a double-edged sword.

My daughter is 20 and it is sufficient to say that she has an old soul. :) I have found that a lot can be learned from darkness as well as the light. Especially as some only have the darkness from which to gather light. Hence, the main interest for me is the era she grew up in and how this enabled the sense of detachment I sense in her and is subsequently apparent in her views. On a personal note, I also find that reading from those who embrace aspects of what I would in my mind see to be 'darkness' actually helps me to see beyond this state in myself and those I work with/love.

Plus, from the snippets read today, the woman could certainly write! I always marvel at the junctures life presents and especially how they unfold in the first place. My daughter seems to have inherited this interest from me.

Take care,

Eve xx

My daughter is 20 and it is sufficient to say that she has an old soul. :) I have found that a lot can be learned from darkness as well as the light. Especially as some only have the darkness from which to gather light. Hence, the main interest for me is the era she grew up in and how this enabled the sense of detachment I sense in her and is subsequently apparent in her views. On a personal note, I also find that reading from those who embrace aspects of what I would in my mind see to be 'darkness' actually helps me to see beyond this state in myself and those I work with/love.

Plus, from the snippets read today, the woman could certainly write! I always marvel at the junctures life presents and especially how they unfold in the first place. My daughter seems to have inherited this interest from me.

Take care,

Eve xx

Then it's all good! Enjoy Rand since her concepts are intensely fascinating. They're also heavily embraced by capitalists, world-wide!

Both of you might just fall a little in love with Roark, like I did, in The Fountainhead. His passion to principle and idealism, is nothing short of obsessive. And yet...is it principle and idealism or is it arrogance and self-interest? You decide or not. :)

this is one of my favorite quotes...ever. it is from Into the Wild:

The sea's only gifts are harsh blows, and occasionally the chance to feel strong. Now I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once. To find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions. Facing the blind death stone alone, with nothing to help you but your hands and your own head.

the first sentence, especially, is pure beauty.