Military... coast guard?

Recently I've been considering joining the military. I want to work with animals someday, most likely in marine biology. Im no longer exactly sure what i'd like to do, just have a general idea. I would like to help them if possible. Anyways- i was thinking of joining the military to pay for school because i wont be able to any other way that i can think of really without getting into major debt.

So my questions are for those in the military, or know about it, specifically the coast guard if anyone here has been or is in it. I would be interested in Search and Rescue... do you know how to get into that? What is it like? Are you on the water most of the time? Anyone know what branches would be better for people interested in biology?

If i were to do ROTC, would it be best to join after i get my AS and get into a university?

im going to talk to my brother about the military, he's a top recruiter for the Army... but wanted others opinions as well. any other info would be awesome. im not really sure of what to ask...

OP, I'm an Army man, served in Vietnam. But I have always had great respect for the Coast Guard, especially search and rescue, very dangerous work.I was visiting a friend in Boston we were seeing the sights when a storm ( very violent ) rolled in. We were on Dorchester Hts? watching these enormous waves outside the Harbor. A siren went off and my friend said that a ship was sinking out in the ocean, and the siren was the alarm. Soon a Coast Guard Cutter was steaming out of the harbor, It looked so small, and the waves were higher than the ship. I can still remember the sight of that little white ship with the red stripe, with it's colors flying, going out to do battle with the sea. I stood out in the rain and watched until it was out of sight, I wanted to cheer.