I want to come out to my parents

KaySaurusx

For as long as I can remember liking boys, I have also liked girls. Unfortunately, my parents don't know this. I have had relationships with both, but I never told my parents.

I'm almost 16, and I think it's time to tell them. They're very open-minded, and I'm sure they won't mind me coming out. I just don't know what to say. If you have any suggestions on how to bring it up (I'd prefer to tell my mom first) and what I should say, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Thanks!

LovieDove24
For as long as I can remember liking boys, I have also liked girls. Unfortunately, my parents don't know this. I have had relationships with both, but I never told my parents.

I'm almost 16, and I think it's time to tell them. They're very open-minded, and I'm sure they won't mind me coming out. I just don't know what to say. If you have any suggestions on how to bring it up (I'd prefer to tell my mom first) and what I should say, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Thanks!

I bet you there's better websites than this one to give you helpful suggestions. That is an extremely touchy subject with parents and you don't want someone giving you bad advice on here who hasn't even gone through it. I suggest going to google and typing "coming out" or something along those lines and hopefully you'll find some helpful websites.

Justanotherschmuck

Thanks!

3 things.

1. if you are indeed bi or gay, you NEED to do what you have to do. You are what you are and NOTHING can change that.

2. At sixteen, beside your peers, NOONE (even if they say they understand) will take you seriously. They will think you are too young for such an important announcement.

3. Believe me, no matter how PC people claim to be, when something as surprising as this hits home, its unreal how not so "with it" they really are.

If the family down the road has a gay son, that would be accepted a lot easier than if its their own. But, having open minded parents, even if they are not as open minded as they claim, is STILL GONNA BE EASIER than having old fashioned conservative ones.

Good luck. You should fully expect to be who you want to be, but DON'T expect others to acceptance it, and you CAN'T force acceptance.

I have no idea, but let me ask..

You say you like boys and girls..

You romantically can fall in love with a man? Or is it some sexual thing?

KaySaurusx..

I really don't have any advice based on experience but what I would say is make sure that when you talk with your Mom that you have her full attention and don't have a talk with her while she is busy doing something else...you want to be sure all her attention is focused on the conversation at hand..

I would also like to say that if your Mom is a compassionate person then you will not have any trouble once the conversation starts.. and the chances are they also might very well be waiting for this talk as well..Many parents already know and just are waiting for the talk..

Good luck...

Thanks!

May I ask... have you had sex with boys? with girls? or is this attraction just based on general attraction...

• Author

I have been with both boys and girls, as in dating and sexual acts.

To me, there is no difference between the two, since when I was with them I was attracted to them, and not their body.

What is the point of telling your parents? What do you hope to gain from it? Are you looking for guidance from them? Acceptance? (so that you can speak freely about it at home?) I would think your reason(s) for telling them should drive how you bring it up to them. For example, "Mom I want to talk to you about my attraction to certain people, and I want to know what you think about this..." or "Mom, I want to share something with you, and I hope you will accept that it's part of who I am."

And there's another possibility. You don't HAVE to tell them. Sexuality is a very private matter. Your own sexuality is totally your call, and nobody else's business really.

I guess my point is, I hope you're very clear in your own mind what your motivations are for "coming out" ... and as other posters have already pointed out, prepare yourself for the possibility that your folks may take it differently from the way you expect/hope them to.

OB I was going to post the same thing.. why????

I remember when I was that age.. I would never ever tell anything about my sexual life to my parents. I honestly don't see why anyone would do that.. :o

Some things are better left unsaid.. :rolleyes: