How old were YOU when you were first home alone?

Holding-On

Polling here, this seems to be an issue of some debate at my community center:

How old were you when you were left home alone for any length of time (even 10 mins)?

I let my daughter stay home alone for an hour or so when she was 10.

She is 13 now and we will leave her home for a few hours. For example, if we have a dinner to go to at 6pm, we will be home by 9-9:30.

In summer without school, I am thinking 3 or 4 hours once in a while, during the day will be ok.

I think it depends VERY much on the child. My D is resourceful and trustworthy...

I just dont like leaving her locked up in the house like that.

curiousnycgirl

I grew up in an apartment building where I knew most of my neighbors, and there was always a doorman downstairs - plus that was a different time. I started babysitting my baby brother when he was just an infact and I was 10.

But like I said different times, meaning pre-Etan Patz (the first milk carton child) - I am sure my siblings were not allowed to stay alone nearly as young.

wow I was young.. can't remember but all I know is that I was baby-sitting at 9.. 2 kids.. a baby and a 5 yr old girl.

At around 10.

I was such a goody-two-shoes, I never even opened the fridge without permission! :D

My mother always informed our neighbour that I was on my own, however, and I always had a list of 'phone numbers to call in an emergency.

GorillaTheater

I was thirteen, and was press-ganged into babysitting my younger sister. Considering the friends/girls I had over on those evenings, it was probably a lapse in judgment on my parents' part.

wow I was young.. can't remember but all I know is that I was baby-sitting at 9.. 2 kids.. a baby and a 5 yr old girl.

Me too. A 2 year old and a 5 year old when I was 9. Babysitting.