Crush driving you around too much?

Myself and girl I have a major crush on (and she I) go places a lot together but I feel like I am somewhat taking advantage of her. My parents *never* want to give me rides anywhere because it "takes too much time out of their schedules", and, despite me being 16, they are hesitant about me getting a license because the insurance goes up. They're wanting me to pay for my own car and insurance (they stopped paying for my stuff when I was 12, in 7th grade. If I wanted something I had to buy it. I do feel that this case is however negotiable because very few of my friends/peers are having to buy their own car, even with jobs, so I don't know if this is "objective leverage" for me or not.).

However the only way I can seem to get anywhere with my crush is if she comes and picks me up etc, and I want to persuade my parents to let me get my license so I can perhaps give her a ride for a change. I feel so bad when she always asks if I need a ride because the answer is always yes. I don't know how to be able to do things with her anymore without inconveniencing her.

I want to also perhaps do something really nice for her for all the times she's driven me (I also kind of want to do this because I care for her, but I don't know what is appropriate).

We speak to each other as though we are girlfriend/boyfriend even though such isn't the case yet. We're both just fairly shy.

• Author

I might also add that I have offered to give her some money to make up for all the times she's driven (gas, etc) but she's refused and said she didn't mind.

I have often had success with insisting I feed a person (cook for them or take them out for a meal) to repay favours if they won't accept money.

I think you can assume this lady wouldn't be driving you all over if she wasn't very fond of you. The best thing you can do is communicate with her...let her know exactly why you don't have a car yet...and always express your appreciation for the rides she gives you. There are many things you can do to reciprocate and taking her out to eat is one good idea (go to a nice restaurant in her car). You've found yourself a very selfless lady, a very giving person, so don't let her go. Always express your appreciation and never take her for granted. But don't overdo the expression of gratitude either. Most truly kind people don't like that fact recognized very much. Wherever you go, show her a good time and make her use of her car worth it to her...that's all.