Well....it's been a rough couple of days for me....

Wednesday my Step Dad went in complaining about a stomach pain, plus he was jaundice.

Gall bladder.....right? Well.....that's what we thought too....and that was the original diagnosis....until they went in to crush the, "stone".

Come to find out, they couldn't even get close to it with the cathader. So, the next afternoon they ran a wire through his liver to guide the cathader later that evening.....THAT didn't work....

Another ultrasound, and low and behold, they say he has pancreatic cancer....

If it hasn't spread, we can have the "whipple procedure" done.....if it has spread, Pops has 6 months to live.......

So now we're waiting for reports to come back to find out if it's spread or not.....

I've done a little research on the whipple procedure and it looks like a lot of survivors are saying they're living a somewhat, "normal" life.....

Has anyone had this done, or know anyone close to them that's had it done?

What can Pops expect?

am truly sorry to hear about your s-dad, Moose, and know that he is in my prayers.

we were told that my dad would be blessed to see Easter, because he's in end-stages of kidney failure and has black lung, to boot. Old fart is still hanging in there, and I think he's more than a bit perturbed that his doctor lied about his expiration date! So, I can personally vouch that prayers work!

• Author

Thanks for the encouragement Quank......I knew I could count on you!

I was there when the doctor told him, and there when he communicated it to his sons.....his exact words where, "My days are numbered just like everybody elses......"

So he's in good Spirit....and a tough old bird....there's no doubt in my mind he'll be around for quite a while....

just looked at the Wikipedia description for the Whipple, and it looks pretty much like a successful bypass surgery in which patients recover really, really well from. It'd be interesting to see if any Shackers have knowledge of the procedure and how it's affected them ... anyone?

I was there when the doctor told him, and there when he communicated it to his sons.....his exact words where, "My days are numbered just like everybody elses......"

yes, and it's reassuring that while physicians know their stuff, they don't have a handle on God's calendar!

now for my funny story of the day: When we got Daddy's diagnosis back in early March, I'd told a friends of ours, a couple very active in one of our parishes, the husband is a deacon. And Romy (the husband) tells me not to worry, that everything will be okay, he knew it personally.

seems that when he married Mama Romo, he just fell in love with her mother and her with him, he was her other son. And he'd do anything to make her happy, including making a promise to not take her daughter from Wisconsin (where they were all living at the time). Romy said he figured that because his MiL was an older woman, it made sense, that he could always come home to Texas after she passed away.

so one day, he takes his mother-in-law in for a check-up and the doctor pulls him aside (I think this was the late 50s-early 60s) and tells him that she's got cancer, did he want the doctor to tell her or did he want to tell her himself? No, he reassured the doctor, he and his wife would break the news to her gently.

well, Mrs. Romo was very upset, and didn't want to be the one to tell her mother that she was dying, so Romy offered to take MiL to breakfast the next morning and break the news then. And he did.

And said his mother-in-law just looked him in the eye and told him, "Hah! He's not God. He can't tell me I've got six months to live!" and went on eating.

"And do you know," Romy said, "I waited 25 years before I could come back to Texas because that doctor was WRONG, she just didn't die!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

just goes to show that even though we get awful news like this, God definitely has other plans!

Geishawhelk

Moose, please know that you and your family and of course, your S-Dad are all in my thoughts.

I don't pray. Not in the conventional sense you might consider, but I will offer up everything I can for you, for fortitude, courage and togetherness, so that you may all support one another, and have the strength for one another.

Your dad is most wise to understand that all days are numbered. He's right.

And now, you're all staring this mortality in the face. breathe deep, and embrace what arises.

God bless you, take care, and be strong.

With much metta, your friend, Alex.

• Author

Thanks Alex! I wish I could explain in words how much I appreciate you!

Mustang Sally

To my understanding, procedures involving the pancreas are usually a bit more complex...there's a saying in surgery/medicine: "Don't f*ck with the pancreas." Meaning: Avoid involving it, if you can, because it tends to be a problematic healer, if you will.

A Whipple is usually viewed as the "granddaddy" of pancreatic procedures. Due to the nature of the situations that make it medically necessary (and therefore recommended), it has developed a sort of "fantastical" or "superstar" aura in some medical circles (i.e. evokes a certain degree of respect and awe).

Be sure to understand the pros/cons and possible risks of the procedure by talking to your relative's healthcare providers until you have your questions/concerns addressed satisfactorily.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you, your step Dad, and family.

all i can offer you is what i seen, as my brother had one.it's around a 8 hr. operation. there's a massive amount of cutting and re-connecting. instint diabete(sp) plus a host of other meds,special pills to take b/4 you eat, etc.your life as you knew it,changes right now.you live,eat and breath, this illness.i would highly check into artifical pancreases(new)i'm not tring to be the bearer of bad news(my father,brother, and a uncle died from this horrible disease)just tring to relay the info. the john hopkins web site is a great source of info.i wish him nothing but the best.

Moose, you and your step dad are in my prayers :)

I've heard so many stories that doctors claimed 'uncurable', but many people believed God can heal, and they got healed and recovered. It is so true, doctors are not God :D

Wish everything works good for you