In th gym, how many repetitions and sets is best on each machine?

And how much time is best to wait between sets?

I've been doing sets of 10, resting for about a minute, then starting again. 3 sets then switching to another machine.

about 4 or 5 different machines (repeating for about an hour)

does this sound good?

whats a good push exercise for the back?

In th gym, how many repetitions and sets is best on each machine?

I've been doing sets of 10, resting for about a minute, then starting again. 3 sets then switching to another machine.

about 4 or 5 different machines (repeating for about an hour)

There is no straight answer to that question, for two reasons:

1. The time per repetition, type of movement, and individual physical makeup can vary, making absolute prescriptions difficult.

2. There is no magic number of sets and reps - many schemes will work.

That being said, there are a few things to consider when training. First, if you are beyond the phase of being a beginner and learning the movements (which takes 4-6 weeks for most people), your training needs to be HARD. I don't mean that you are putting out a pretty good effort to finish the set - I mean you have to put out a pretty good effort to do EACH REPETITION. Repetitions at the end of a set should be damn near impossible.

Keeping that in mind, at NO point during training should you be heaving/jerking the weight or holding your breath. All movements must be done in a SLOW, CONTROLLED fashion and form is to be kept for ALL repetitions. My general recommendation is for people to count to 4 as they lift and then count to 4 as they lower. This makes training SAFER because forces are reduced while also making it HARDER since you have far less momentum assisting you.

When you train each repetition deliberately and take your sets to a high degree, there's really no need to be doing a lot of sets. I don't believe anyone needs to do more than 2 sets of a given movement....and if you are training hard (like you should be), you won't be ABLE to do more than 1 or 2 sets.

You can stick with performing 10 repetitions per set. I'd drop down to 2 sets per movement. Perform your first set to 10 reps...it should be somewhat challenging. Take a short break (1 minute or less). Perform the second set for as many repetitions as possible (do not stop at 10!). If you can complete 10 or more, you are ready to step up the resistance by 5lbs or less. If you can't complete 10 on the 2nd set, then you need to stay with that weight until you reach 10.

And how much time is best to wait between sets?

Since you're coming from a more restful training program, I'd allot you a bit more break time. I wouldn't rest any between movements - try to tear down from your last movement, set up for your next movement, and then start. Ultimately you want to train such that the only rest you have between sets is setting up your equipment and getting into position. The point of proper weight training is to challenge the body to a high degree, not let it sit around. That's for the days you DON'T train.

whats a good push exercise for the back?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. The back musculature is generally responsible for pulling motions. Nonetheless, good movements to train the back (trapezius, latissimus dorsi, etc.) and pulling musculature of the arms are: chins/pulldowns (neutral or supinated grip), rows, deadlifts, pullovers. You don't need to do all of them. Any 2 should be more than sufficient.

Nonetheless, good movements to train the back (trapezius, latissimus dorsi, etc.) and pulling musculature of the arms are: chins/pulldowns (neutral or supinated grip), rows, deadlifts, pullovers. You don't need to do all of them. Any 2 should be more than sufficient.

Just the answer I was looking for! Is it a good idea to stick with the same 2 for a period and then rotate or better to mix it up from session to session? Or does it not matter?

Also, what's a supinated grip?

Is it a good idea to stick with the same 2 for a period and then rotate or better to mix it up from session to session? Or does it not matter?

It is important to pick movements that best fit your biomechanics and allow you to make progress. Since you are squatting, I would be inclined to recommend chins(or pulldowns) and rows. That is a very complete pair of movements for back musculature....one I'd probably recommend to most people.

It is also important to pick your movements and stay with them, assuming you have no physical limitations. The order of exercises, number of repetitions, cadence (speed) per repetition, and even general time of day should be kept consistent. This is contrary to what you often hear....which is to switch things up frequently to "shock" the body. But does that make sense?

Let's consider how the body works. Every movement you perform with your body requires your nervous system to activate your muscular system in a certain fashion. Every movement is distinct in how your nervous system must handle your body to perform that movement. Repeated performance of a movement improves the efficiency(skill) of the nervous system in performing that movement....in short, you get better at something by practice. The more complex a movement is, the longer it takes to make improvements because the nervous system must adapt to a greater degree. This is all called motor learning.

So what does that have to do with weight training? Well, everything you do in the gym is a movement that your nervous system will "learn" to perform. Most gym movements are fairly simple (to your nervous system), so it does not take too long to reach a point where skill improvement tapers off to insignificant amounts (usually 5-10 training sessions). Once you reach this point, pretty much all progress comes by way of improvements in your GENERAL fitness rather than your SPECIFIC skill...and that's what we're after, right?

So let's say you switch up your routine every 4-6 weeks (like many advocate). Now you're doing movements in a different way (order, sets, reps, cadence, or even new movements). That means you start learning SKILL again. You can easily spend half of your time improving your skills....which is useless. It is better for tracking progress and ensuring fitness improvements to establish a routine and stick with it for at least a moderate (3-6 months) time period. I have nothing against trying different movements with different set/rep schemes to determine what works best for a given individual....but you don't need to keep trying new approaches. Besides, how can you tell if a given routine works if you don't have a track record to evaluate?

Of course, the criticism is typically that the body adapts to the same stress over time. To that I say....I want my body to adapt. That's what growing stronger and more fit *IS*.

Also, what's a supinated grip?

Supinated means palms facing you. This grip or a neutral (palms facing one another) is preferred for chins/pulldowns because it allows for a greater range of motion and it puts the arms in a stronger position as compared to pronated (palms facing away from you).