@#$% me, I did it again!

The_Hermit_of_GA

The_Hermit_of_GA

Well, tonight I went and did it again.

I always seem to miss by an inch, and it never gets any easier. And it's always because I'm a timid, unthinking bumbler.

And the evening started out so well! I had a very nice relaxing stroll on the River Walk, and after that, I actually found $60 on my way into our local shopping mall. I was scooping up tens and twenties on the curb, thrilled with my luck.

I had a nice dinner, read my book, and was on my way home feeling great, when I stopped in a Target store. In the food section, I suddenly walked right into a former co-worker; a tall, slim, strikingly pretty girl in her early thirties. I greeted her, and she responded, calling me by name, my full name! I was astonished! We talked a few minutes; she was more friendly and engaging than I'd remembered her ever being before. I was feeling great! We parted with cheery good wishes and I was walking on clouds through the checkout and out into the parking lot.

Then, as it *always* does with me, it hit me just as I was driving away. Okay, so she was quite a lot younger than I am, more educated and out of my league socially... but considering how friendly and open she'd seemed, I should have asked her out. Of course I'd thought about it, but for the reasons I just gave, I just knew she'd never go for it, and I didn't want to appear un-cool. I mean, like an old middle-aged man coming on to a much younger woman who's probably fighting off guys her own age with a stick anyway. But still...

If ever there was a night when the dice were rolling my way, this was it. I mean, it almost seemed like nothing could go wrong for me, I was having almost crazy luck. It's as if good things were meant to be tonight. And then I went and did this; thought of reasons it wouldn't work, instead of throwing caution to the winds and going for it. This is a persistent pattern in my life; this is at least the third time I've done just this.

It's not only that I'm now wondering what I may have missed by being so reticent and timid. I'm also wondering if I'm going to be this way for the rest of my life; if I'll forever be unable to seize any opportunity because I can't seem to think on my feet, because I over-analyze every situation, because I can't prevent myself from erring on the side of caution.

It occurs to me that this is probably the reason I have a fetish for aggressive women; I think I instinctively suspect that the only way I'll ever get anywhere is if the woman makes a move on me, since I seem incapable of making a move myself.

Dang... after all the awful luck I've had lately, it's as if fate/karma decided to finally give me a nice little consolation prize, and look what I did with it. This evening started out so perfect... and now I feel just awful.

Okay... so can any of you offer any thoughts to help me feel a little less distraught? Or at least suggest some reasons why I shouldn't shoot myself? :-P

Okay... so can any of you offer any thoughts to help me feel a little less distraught? Or at least suggest some reasons why I shouldn't shoot myself? :-P

Number One reason not to shoot yourself -- you write beautifully!!! :bunny: Please do consider an eBook or hardcover...but do not let your talent go unused for much longer (assuming that you are not already an accomplished author, of course.) Or you could teach a 'creative writing' evening class at your local college or community centre. Anything, anything...I just love the way you express yourself in words!!!

Number One reason to feel less distraught -- Fate/Karma does seem to be looking in your direction ;). Maybe you could Ask for a bit of help with earlier (or "immediate") recognition of the opportunities that are sure to continue to present themselves to you.

Sending good vibes for many more positive experiences...and quick following-up on the ones you want to pursue.

You know her name right, full name? Bound to be a way to find her, call her and tell her how much you enjoyed talking with her and ask her out for coffee to chat some more? May sound a bit trite but better than sitting around kicking yourself and if karma is really favoring you right now, she may very well be listed right there on anywho! No risk, no reward. :love:

• Author
The_Hermit_of_GA

Wow, thanks, Ronni! :-) I'm flattered.

And yes, I have thought about writing some fiction. May actually go and do it someday.

Anyway, she told me where she's working now, and originally I wasn't going to call her for fear it might look like stalking, but after pondering on it all day today... I'm thinking I may try tactfully contacting her next week.

Thanks for the replies! ;-)

Maybe as a slim, beautiful woman, her attraction to you is the fact that you didnt hit on her straight away and were interested in talking to her. Oh look, fate is still smiling.

ANGUISHEDandBROKEN

Do it!!!!

Im rooting for you!

And remember one thing..... Women like confident men. At the time it might have been displaced, so karma actually favored you by not letting you open your mouth!

Imagine how she will feel when she has you ask her out on a date....it doesnt have to be a date...it could be just a drink or dinner or something...

She will be flattered.... (you remembered her and where she worked (which means you were a good listener), thought she was attractive and were interested, and had the confidence to do it later!)

Im still broken from my previous relationship....but i dont let oportunities like this slip..... it could be just great fun!

keep us in on the deal....

GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT get your butt back there and do it but stay cool...like the other posters said it was probably your coolness she was attracted to...guys her age don't have any moves and she's probably tired of them!

• Author
The_Hermit_of_GA

Okay, an update. At the risk of looking like a stalker, I called and asked for her at her new job, and they have only one woman with her first name, and her last name is different. So apparently my former co-worker has found her Mr. Right and gotten herself a new name.

Oh, well... perhaps surprisingly, it's actually less a disappointment than a relief that I didn't really shoot myself in the foot friday night after all. So I feel better now! Thanks for the replies everyone. :-)