Do your looks have a bearing on your career progression?

I think looks have a large impact on career progression, I think this is especially true in metropolitan area where businesses want to have a certain image.

I have advanced at work over two women who have been there longer and had more experience. Although I was qualified for the advancement I feel like the fact that i fit the "image" of the company helped.

I couldn't agree more. The company I work for is a lot like this, and what I've noticed so far are some employees (including me) has worked for either their clients or competition in the past. But at the same time they know what they're getting into by hiring the person because they're hiring quality employees. So they are projecting a certain image, by having these types of individuals who have worked in very similar environments and can handle the pressures of working there.

But I think this post should be questioned more accurately, Pure Physical Looks or excellent presentation through professionalism?

IME I've been on many professional job interviews during college and after and honest to say there were certain jobs I got turned down for (or many), but there were some factors in play because of my lack of degree, or not enough experience, and inflexible hours because of college classes.

Though I recall a couple months ago my supervisor turned down this guy after an interview, he had the experience and all but he was a tad on the short side. And the job from time to time would require him to do physical activities or reach up high to get equipment....So I think YES, for certain jobs certain physical attributes are a requirement. Whether or not people admit to discrimination.

Anyway I think a professional attitude and the ability to get along with people and have them look up to you goes a long way in the work place.

Edited by monkey00

Excellent post Monkey regarding short men as well.

Its true short men do have a time on the dating scene. Not sure how much their height affects their hiring. Anyone else have experience with shorter men not getting hired ?

If a woman is doing the interview, she may not want to hire another female who is attractive enough to be a rival. Especially if there are men around.

If a woman is doing the interview, she may not want to hire another female who is attractive enough to be a rival. Especially if there are men around.

Sad but likely true. Why would a overweight woman want a small model thin shapely attractive woman sitting next to her ? Some might be able to overlook the beautiful girl ,,,but many ...highly unlikely.

HoustonScrewed

The sad fact is that looks do matter!

It isn't just the looks, but it is the self confidence that comes with looking good. People that aren't proud of the way they look almost never hold themselves the same way that others do.

I have managed both technical positions and sales positions. With the technical positions looks don't matter as much, but the confidence that comes with the looks is always good in an employee. I have also found that very large people generally are lazy and don't really try that hard to complete tasks just passing them on. Some people would call me a large person, but I am very confident in the way I look and am proud of my stature. I am not talking about big people with the average 40 year old beer belly but the person that is 25 and weights 450lbs.

Now, in sales it all depends on what your target market is. I almost always hire on looks at least to some degree. If you are trying to sell to mainly men that are professional you don't hire a 25 year old body builder, but you hire a female that is in her 20's and smoking hot! This gets her in the door the guys ogling and signing the PO.

I am sure I pissed some off, but I don't really care as I am being honest ;)

am not talking about big people with the average 40 year old beer belly

Building a 40-year-old beer belly takes a lot of dedication, single-mindedness, and Shiner Bock. So I would see that as a positive asset in an employee. Also, you have to start really young.

Building a 40-year-old beer belly takes a lot of dedication, single-mindedness, and Shiner Bock. So I would see that as a positive asset in an employee. Also, you have to start really young.

That's an excellent way of looking at it. There are many reasons why a person would be motivated to make adjustments to their life. For example, a beer belly can take a few inches off one's ample penis, and make it much less intimidating.

I was thinking more along the lines of a career asset. For instance, you can prop your lunch on your belly and eat while you type.

And if you're asked to step forward and volunteer for something, you can do it without moving.

I was thinking more along the lines of a career asset. For instance, you can prop your lunch on your belly and eat while you type.

That's a great platform for success. I hadn't thought of that.

And if you're asked to step forward and volunteer for something, you can do it without moving.
True, but an impromptu erection will always come across as more enthusiastic.

There's always going to be someone who doesn't like the way someone looks. Just the way it is. Looks can play an influence and in some intances play in a negative way. I deal with this crap sadly all the time.

HokeyReligions
I have also found that very large people generally are lazy and don't really try that hard to complete tasks just passing them on.

Interesting that you would say that. I have found that larger people overall work even harder than their slimmer counterparts because they have to prove that the stereotype is false. I guess a lot depends on the type of industry. I am in the engineering field and those that I hire are typically information management - either IT techs, professional document management people and clerks just getting into the industry. Also college students doing their internship. I work with a lot of engineers and those that progress to PM positions are generally middle-of-the road looking and I've seen hard-working, less attractve men lose out. Partly because of their own self-confidence and partly because of their hiring managers.

One IT manager only hires pretty young women. We called them his "Angels" because the last 10 or so that he hired had zero experience and he put them in charge of more qualified people. There was a huge uproar over that and the company lost a lot of really good people. He is still there, but he's been forced to make some changes. Due in large part (no pun intended) to me and people like me who marched into HR and talked to upper management and took a stand. Bringing with us our references and the kudos we have received from clients and co-workers who knew our worth.

Sadly, that kind of thing goes on all the time. But its the way of the world.

Me, too. I wish people would see me as more than a melt-in-the-mouth ribeye steak.

Medium, rare, or a job well done?

That's a great platform for success. I hadn't thought of that.

:D:D I have the same problem with "my twins"... I always have to check "the shelf" after I eat-and-type at my desk. Never thought about them being a platform for success. I've tried to get them to type, but they just flop around on the keyboard. Totally useless.

SpanksTheMonkey
Excellent post Monkey regarding short men as well.

Its true short men do have a time on the dating scene. Not sure how much their height affects their hiring. Anyone else have experience with shorter men not getting hired ?

I know some one who trained to be a truck driver has all his licenses even. But had a hard time finding a company to give him a shot.

Mainly I think because hes only about 5ft3 and he has a hard time reaching the pedals of some of the larger semi trucks. Guess it all looked like a good idea on paper :confused:

SpanksTheMonkey
I have also found that very large people generally are lazy and don't really try that hard to complete tasks just passing them on. Some people would call me a large person, but I am very confident in the way I look and am proud of my stature. I am not talking about big people with the average 40 year old beer belly but the person that is 25 and weights 450lbs.

I am sure I pissed some off, but I don't really care as I am being honest ;)

Honest in your views which you are entitled to how ever narrow minded they may be. I'm over weight and I bet I can get more done in a day then most skinny people I know and thats with a bad back to boot.

Perhaps you should try to open your mind a little cause the thought all large people are lazy is just a stereotype.

Kinda like back in the day people said all Afroamerican people were stupid/uneducated and good for nothing.

But today to say that would be unheard of unless you are a real back wards dirt bag yourself who just dident care.

Things like that are just a neg image that sociality has allowed to fester agreed some may be lazy but not all of us.

A lot of research has been done on this subject. A good article about weight and attractiveness and income is here:

http://www.slate.com/id/111445/

And one about height and income is here:

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2063439

These articles are good in that they not only give you the statistics, but they also talk about exceptions and try to delve into the complexities of why these biases exist when they do exist and why they might not exist in the case of the exceptions.

BlueHaiku

A lot of research has been done on this subject. A good article about weight and attractiveness and income is here:

http://www.slate.com/id/111445/

And one about height and income is here:

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2063439

These articles are good in that they not only give you the statistics, but they also talk about exceptions and try to delve into the complexities of why these biases exist when they do exist and why they might not exist in the case of the exceptions.

BlueHaiku

I read those articles and they appear to be spot on ! I never realized though that fat caucasion women suffer the worst. I thought fat males would get treated with the brunt of criticism.

I think that women who have the edge in the workplace tend to be those who look in their 30s and 40s. Young enough to have a lot of working years left in them, old enough to have a decent bit of professional and life experience.

I agree completely! I am lecturing at the moment and have issues with being taken seriously because I am young, young-looking and blonde. Especially since a lot of my students are middle-aged men. Contrary to what you might think, they don't see this as huge bonus. I guess they doubt my subject knowledge because I look like I should still be a student myself. But I always win 'em over ;)

In teaching you get all-sorts, so I don't know that the same bearing applies as might in more corporate environments. It's almost welcomed in teaching to be a bit different, well it used to be anyway... that's being phased out along with funding and individualism. I work with people of all shapes and sizes, all ages and levels of attractiveness. I will say there are a few people of the hugely overweight, hairy and smelly variety (these are female, I daren't even start on some of the blokes) and while they are very competent teachers it does effect my view of them. I think it's pretty unprofessional to turn up to your job smelling really bad.

When I was waitressing, doing hostess work, promotions and all that it was a different ball game. The companies knew their assets and displayed them front and centre. Pretty depressing but understandable, too.

It's definitely not so much your looks as your presentation, generally. Working with what you've got, looking neat and tidy and appropriate.

I find obese women not too appealing. ( and thats being nice )

But for some reason large men don't bother me. I have dated 250/260 lbs and its just fine with me. Its the hugely obese men with giant guts that disgust me.

But if a man is just a solid rock big guy ( football type ) then I like the huge teddy bear stuff !

My fiance's workplace was hiring for a front-desk/meet-and-greet type position recently, and he was involved in the hiring process along with his male boss. He told me that although they of course couldn't advertise it directly, he knew exactly what his boss was looking for -- an attractive girl of a certain age, certain body type, certain style of dress and demeanor. No one else was going to have a chance. The thing was, as I understood it, it had not much to do with whether THEY were attracted to the girl or not -- it had to do with the clients, most of whom are male.

Indeed, the girl they hired has, as my fiance puts it, "amazing tits". Also, as he tells me, she has a certain way of always leaning forward on her elbows on the desk while talking to people that showcases them to great advantage, without seeming conscious of doing it at all. (I bet she did this at the interview!) And he relayed to me soon after her hiring of witnessing how an irate male client was speaking to her about something, then was immediately distracted by the sight of her tits, and voila! Irate client becomes compliant and happy to keep waiting. I thought that was hilarious -- basically the male hirers were using their knowledge of males to manipulate male clients. Sucks that other qualified people couldn't get the job because they didn't have the tits for it, but I don't know if I can blame the hirers for seeing it how it is.

Blackbird : I can see how those huge inviting mammaries would stop a clock ! Or at least in this case , every male that stands in the office within 10 feet :lmao:

I agree completely! I am lecturing at the moment and have issues with being taken seriously because I am young, young-looking and blonde. Especially since a lot of my students are middle-aged men. Contrary to what you might think, they don't see this as huge bonus. I guess they doubt my subject knowledge because I look like I should still be a student myself. But I always win 'em over ;)

Reading your post just triggered a memory of a couple of young female lecturers who taught on my course. One of them threw a wobbly once because she couldn't shush the lecture hall into silence at the start of class. I can't remember exactly what she said, but there was a lot about not having been well lately and feeling disrespected by the class because she was a woman.

I sat there dying inside for her and thinking "**** - you're probably absolutely right but this really isn't the way to put your point across. This is delicious meat and drink to your average 20 year old, rugby playing embryo commercial snake." I've no doubt she knew that herself, but had just reached that "I've had enough and I'm not going to take it any more" stage when maturity and wisdom fly out of the window.