Close friend?

noname29

Ok, so I'm really not trying to read into this or anything, but just thought I'd share to get some other people's opinions because I find it strange in a funny kind of way. I won't go into the whole story as this'll be long enough, but here are the background basics. He and I have been best friends for a little over three years now and we've always had a very strong connection. We both know that there's always been something between us (something more than friendship) but we never took it further because we were terrified of ruining our close friendship and connection, even though everyone always believed that we were a couple. He and I were sexually involved for a couple months right before college graduation last year and even then our friendship wasn't awkward and didn't change- if anything we were closer. After graduation we both moved several states apart and he's now been dating some girl for the past thirteen and a half months (he didn't even bother telling me about her until they were dating for six months and he only told me because he felt too guilty hiding it from me).

Now, here's the strange part. We've been communicating through e-mail as it's the easiest way right now and we've always ended them with "miss you, talk soon" or something like that- normal right? Well, we lost touch for about three months (i won't go into the reasons) and just got back in touch last month. The weird thing is, ever since we got back in touch, he's now ending every single e-mail with either "love ya" or "love [his name]", which is something that we've never said before, except he ended one random msg with "love [his name]" at the beginning of this year and once in college (during which it definitely wasn't meant as 'i love you as just a friend/sister/etc'). Has anyone ever had a best friend of the opposite sex whose ended their messages that way even though they're in a relationship? is that normal? much thanks to those who read and reply!!

Hm, this guy still single? Or even more...is he planning on being single soon? Sounds to me like he is. If he's inlove w/this other woman, chances are he wouldn't be saying that to ya.

My best friend of about 12 years never put that in his emails to me. We were never involved like you and your buddy were but nevertheless - still strange, in my opinion. You could always casually ask him in one of your emails "what's up with the "lovey" comments?" *add a smiley face to add to the sarcasm*

Good luck with it. Hopefully something nice comes out of it in the end :love:

For some time I have really like my best girl friend and when we used to chat on msn i would finish by saying: Love u xxx. And she would say the same.

A few weeks ago i told her how i felt and she said: Sorry i cya as my best friend only.

When we msn each other now, i just say: talk soon cya. but she continues to say: love u xxx.

So my point is it really depend on the person you are talking to, and something as small as that is very hard to base a judgment on. I wouldn't think to much into it, unless you find out more information or get other suggestions from him.

Peter

• Author

sarita12385- thanks for the response :)

peter333- had you both always finished with 'love u xxx'? who started saying that first? i think it's one thing if it is something that was always said because yeah i can see that being normal, but i just think it's a tiny bit strange when one person suddenly starts saying it all the time when they never really did before.