Selfish Man...What to do?

I too have experienced a selfish man. The problem is he didn't used to be selfish. His type of selfish had nothing to do with not helping people or being kind. We were together for 5 years and recently split up (don't know if its permanent). He used to be the most loving, giving, romantic person ever. However, we are young and starting our careers. When he started the job he is in now, he got overwhelmed between work and school. He became admittingly selfish and uncompromising. It just makes me so angry because I know that he has never been like this. I don't know if it's a phase or not. We were truly in love, planned on marrying, etc. I think it might be a combination of him getting scared of growing up and his selfishness. Does anybody have any advice for me?

I don't know what kind of advice you're wanting...or on what topic.

Regarding your ex, he was probably selfish all the time and he finally showed his true self. People don't become that way over night. Many people are at their best behavior in the initial stages of a relationship....but your's went on for five years. If that theory is correct, he held on to his act for a long time.

It could be that he changed out of stress and frustration. You don't need somebody who turns into a bxstard when life gets tough. I took 18 hours one semester in college and worked a 40 hour a week job. I was still the same person (pretty nice) that I had always been.

In any case, you have to deal with the present and right now he is a person you do not admire. Move on and find somebody who has traits you respect...and hope they are for real.

how's this possible: 18 hrs of college + 40 weeks of work?

I mean, if you work full-time, that's your 40 hours.

If you take classes nightly, 3 hrs of class a night, you can have 15 hrs of class. Perhaps you took 3 more hrs on Sat, OK.

But - when did you study and do other things??

As you can tell, I'm impressed.

-yes

Actually, I was quite a genius during my last two years of undergraduate work. The semester I worked 40 hours per week and took 18 hours:

* I was on the police beat for an afternoon paper and I started work at 5a.m. I was able to study in the press room while listening to the police monitors. I got off at 11:30a.m. and went on to campus. I made up the difference working Saturday mornings beginning at 5a.m. I also worked some overtime at night going to fires, murders, accidents, etc.

* The semester I took 18 hours, one of the courses (graduate level, 3 hours credit) was an independent study course for which my entire grade was based on writing a paper supervised by a faculty member and 4 hours was a magazine writing and editing course for which I received a $250 per month stipend from the university for editing a magazine supplement to the campus paper and got an "A" as well. The professor had no idea I was getting paid...haha.

* In addition, I was paid hourly for taking pictures for the campus paper and I probably put in five hours or so a week. It was a weekly publication back then...now it's published everyday.

* Additionally, I was a freelance correspondent for the local NBC affiliate and shot newsfilm on weekends and nights when I had the chance.

I hope this helps you to understand. If you have any further questions, send me a private message because I'm sure this crap will bore the hell out of most people.

You'd be surprised what man is capable of if he organizes his time properly.