I am scared of DOGS..And it is getting on my nerves

love necessity

Since we're talking about phobias, I must tell you that I am scared ****le$$ of dogs. I don't know what is wrong with me. It's gotten worse over the years.

It interferes with my daily life. I act ridiculous when I think I'm in danger. It's so embarrassing! I always want to know if people have dog(s) when going to their house, and if they do I make them lock their own dogs up.=( I don't go for walks in the park or in my neighborhood unless I'm with my boyfriend. This irrational fear is getting on my nerves. There were so many times that I thought I was "cured" of this fear, but turns out I wasn't.

I'm not afraid of small dogs, only the big ones. (German Shepards, Rocks, Labs, etc.). I also know that dogs can sense fear, which is the main reason I think I'm going to get attacked. I'm just scarred of them.

I can't afford professional help, so does anyone have any advice on how to get over my dumb fear?

Thanks!;)

what are Rocks?

go to a dog rescue or a local humane society..... likely they can help you get over your fears.

Do you work for the postal service? (just kiddin)

• 2 weeks later...
Trialbyfire

Rocks are like Rotts but a little more sedentary...

The best way to get over irrational fears is to meet them head-on. ASA's suggestion is a good one about the local animal shelter. If you're not that way inclined, through wanting to put time into a shelter, another is to get more exposure to larger dogs through friends and family.

The more controlled the situation, where your friend is holding a friendly dog via collar so you can pet the dog, the easier it gets. Once you've made friends with the specific dog, take it for a walk.

The more big dogs you get to know, the more you'll learn to read their body language and vocalizations so you know which dogs are friendly and which dogs are best to stay away from.

SmileEmptySoul

Well I was afraid of thunderstorms until my parents made me sleep in the car outside. Guess what.. Im not afraid of them anymore.

I was getting to old to be afraid of something like that so I had to do it. I actually love thunderstorms now and sit on my porch and watch them.

Anyway, THe only way I could see getting over a fear is facing it head on which is what everyone will tell you. Try walking some dogs or petting them. Dogs to me are one of the most loyal creatures on this earth. I Like dogs more than people.

beautifulearth83

You're right about how they scent fear, but it's less like fear and more like hostility. If you weave around certain dogs like you're a raccoon it may cause those reactions. But stand your ground, do as you would normally do when you're comfortable. Show the dog that you and the owner get along well. Don't hesitate while petting. Usually a good owner should tell you that their dog bites and to be careful, or you can ask them. Try and pick up on the rational things, don't make up in your head that you have fear to hide and worry about it every second.

Somebody also mentioned that sooner or later you'll get a feel for dogs' body language. That's very true. Maybe go to a dog park or a dog beach...just sit outside on a nice day and watch the doggies. Ask the puppy gods to welcome you into the circle of doggy-love. Then after your great success go home and have some doggy-love with your boyfriend.

Take what helps you from this and leave what doesn't.

Good Luck.

melodymatters

I really advise you to work through this and maam glad you are trying !!! My mother is PSYCHO phobic over...house cats ! My whole life, she couldn't go to a party if there were cats. Won't stay with my sister who has cats. Stopped taking walks in her own neighborhood because there is a cat on the street. It really IS crippling.

I always felt like she didn't even TRY and overcome it, the world just had to change around her !!! I always said " how many house cat fatalities are there every year mom ?!?"

Now, I, Had a driving phobia ! Didn't learn to drive until I was 27 and by that time, I lost my adolescent sense of immortality and was like " this really IS dangerous ! People are in 3 tons of metal, going 60 miles and hour and many people are MORONS !"

But, rather than let my phobia win, I planned a trip from Syracuse NY, to Cocoa beach, Florida and DROVE IT.

Now, if I start getting anxiety attacks on the road, I have that memory of my acheivement to help me through !!!

Good luck !!!

nittygritty
Well I was afraid of thunderstorms until my parents made me sleep in the car outside. Guess what.. Im not afraid of them anymore.

I was getting to old to be afraid of something like that so I had to do it. I actually love thunderstorms now and sit on my porch and watch them.

Anyway, THe only way I could see getting over a fear is facing it head on which is what everyone will tell you. Try walking some dogs or petting them. Dogs to me are one of the most loyal creatures on this earth. I Like dogs more than people.

Wow, that seems kind of harsh. How old were you?

Its like throwing a kid who is afraid of learning how to swim in a pool. Effective but could result in some unresolved anger issues towards parent if teaching methods were not appreciated.

Did something specific cause the OP to have a fear of dogs?

I don’t think that it is unreasonable to have some fear of large dogs. After all, many people who do have large dogs, have them, in part, for protection. More than once I’ve seen dogs, who their owners insisted would never hurt anyone, bite at people for no apparent reason.

One of my pet peeves is when I go for a walk in the neighborhood and dogs come running out to the end of their rope, or to the fence, acting all vicious and threatening, makes me want to end their lives. Not that I would, but I dislike them that much. I really dislike people who keep such dogs.

I grew up with dogs and have always liked them. It is just the threatening ones that I don’t like. It’s also those people that use dogs to enhance their shortcomings, it makes them seem rather low class, like trailer trash type behavior.

burning 4 revenge
It’s also those people that use dogs to enhance their shortcomings, it makes them seem rather low class, like trailer trash type behavior.
i agree, you always see the pit bulls in the ghettos and trailer parks. it's like they're saying i'm poor and stupid, but my dog can kill you. they usually love the NRA and keep multiple guns also

of course one could say they use the vicious dogs for protection, because of the crime in those neighborhoods

1dogtrainer

I am a professional dog trainer and I would like to know, have you ever been attacked by a dog? Most people fear dogs after an attack but one doesn't necessarily have to be attacked to fear a dog. I've never been bitten by a snake but I freak out every time I see one!

It is true that dogs can sense a person's energy whether the energy is nervous, anxious, angry or calm, assertive or submissive. This tells a dog that you are weak. Weak animals are usually driven out of the pack or killed. This is nature's way of ensuring survival and procreation of the pack.

I agree with the other posters about conquering your fear. Go to a local animal shelter and explain to them your fears. They will either think you're nuts or they will be sympathetic. A little tip of advise:

If you decide to walk past many barking and jumping dogs, IGNORE THEM. Try thinking about anything other than the dogs. If you are confident and walk in there with head up, shoulders back, arms to the side and act like a leader, the dogs will respond to you in a positive way.

If you go in there like a nervous nellie, the dogs will sense that and bark their heads off. When greeting a strange dog for the first time, remember this....No eye contact, no talking, no touching. Be calm and assertive.

It would help you greatly if you knew someone who owns a submissive and friendly dog that will just love you up and isn't aggressive in any way. Take 'baby steps' in your rehabilitation. There's no need to rush. What you want to do is condition yourself to feel comfortable around dogs. Don't worry, you are not alone. There are thousands of people who fear dogs. Good luck.

Trialbyfire

Dogs really can sense people who like or don't like them. While I don't have a dog at this moment, one of my favourite spots to go for a walk is a gorgeous area by the water which is also an off-leash area. I always get swamped by friendly dogs where some even jump on me to get attention. They do this because they know I like them. Why not try an on-leash area first, to get more exposure, then when you've gained some confidence, try an off-leash area.

Dogs really can sense people who like or don't like them. While I don't have a dog at this moment, one of my favourite spots to go for a walk is a gorgeous area by the water which is also an off-leash area. I always get swamped by friendly dogs where some even jump on me to get attention. They do this because they know I like them.

This is so true. I LOVE dogs, and have never met one that didn't somehow know that and want attention from me. I knew they could smell fear, but I didn't realize/understand they they could sense lllloooovvvveeee too. :love:

1dogtrainer
This is so true. I LOVE dogs, and have never met one that didn't somehow know that and want attention from me. I knew they could smell fear, but I didn't realize/understand they they could sense lllloooovvvveeee too. :love:[/quote

Love is a human emotion, one that dogs don't know of. When a human shows affection, dogs respond to that because they show affection to each other. One of the problems in this country is that humans are showering their dogs with too much affection and not enough exercise and discipline.

When a dog only gets affection, the dog becomes unbalanced and behavioral problems start. Dogs need exercise. Wild dogs and wolves will walk for miles looking for food and this is a primal need. This need is in every domestic dog in the world. Wild dogs and wolves also need discipline and they 'correct' each other when needed. Without discipline, the pack is weak and weakness leads to extinction.

Don't mistake a dog jumping on you, licking you and acting excited as the dog loving you. When a dog jumps on a human, the dog is actually trying to dominate the human and this should never be allowed to happen. When a dog licks a human, especially in the mouth, the dog is submitting to the human. This doesn't mean it loves you, it means that the dog sees the human as a leader.

My way of showing my dogs that I "love" them is by caring for them and providing for them. They know that I am their pack leader because I do these things for them. I show my affection by rubbing them, grooming them, petting them but ONLY after they have been exercised and have gone through a little training.

Love your dog by being it's pack leader. Let your dog love YOU by his submission.

• 2 months later...

I say hang out with family or freinds that own large dogs and have the pet parent keep the pet calm and restrained while you get used to it in the room. then when u feel comfortable or after 5 minutes go and get closer to the dog and so on and so on. then finally pet the dog....or just get used to the dog being in the room over and over again before petting it.

But i say in the beginning always be with a loved one because they will be more understanding. people at dogs parks wont keep their dog from running up to you which will frighten you- and then the people wont understand and most likely get upset with you for going there in the first place.

then after youve gotten to the point where you can pet the dog more than one day- go for a walk with the dog with your loved one. then do this with other dogs too.

baby steps are the key

Spend a little time with the dogs that scare you the worse. Seriously. Make sure the owner is a friend and knows what you are doing and if you become even more uncomfortable then just end the session. Rotts are wonderful, I've had them for years, those and dobermans. My female rott that passed away at age eleven last October was so gentle she nursed orphaned kittens right along with her own pups when she had a litter. I have a great dane now and he is so gentle it isn't even funny. Most large breed dogs are less vicious than smaller dogs, though I also have an incredibly loving pom too. Best of luck to you.

big dogs. Have never owned nor plan to own a small dog as they are usually the ones that tend to nip.

Most big dogs are just big babies although their looks can be intimidating. I had a 120 lb coon hound that was so afraid of going to the vets that he would enter the vet's office crawling on his belly.

One of the dogs that I have now is very intimating to look at but she is such a baby that she would probably lick you to death.

When I first meet a new dog, I tend to ignore them at first. They usually come up to me and sniff. If all goes well I will probably extend my hand for them to smell. I always pat them so that they can see my hand until they know me. I never look a dog in the eyes.

Big dogs usually bite out of fear, unless you are invading their territory.

Good luck!

Since we're talking about phobias, I must tell you that I am scared ****le$$ of dogs. I don't know what is wrong with me. It's gotten worse over the years.

It interferes with my daily life. I act ridiculous when I think I'm in danger. It's so embarrassing! I always want to know if people have dog(s) when going to their house, and if they do I make them lock their own dogs up.=( I don't go for walks in the park or in my neighborhood unless I'm with my boyfriend. This irrational fear is getting on my nerves. There were so many times that I thought I was "cured" of this fear, but turns out I wasn't.

I'm not afraid of small dogs, only the big ones. (German Shepards, Rocks, Labs, etc.). I also know that dogs can sense fear, which is the main reason I think I'm going to get attacked. I'm just scarred of them.

I can't afford professional help, so does anyone have any advice on how to get over my dumb fear?

Thanks!;)

What exactly do you fear about them? List all the fears that come to mind.

After each one, ask yourself if it's rational or not. Ask yourself if you've experienced it happening to you or someone you know. Try to think if any movies or media made you fearful of them and why.

Get within sight of a large dog and practice your breathing...take deep,slow breaths and let yourself experience what that feels like. Feel the relaxation as your muscles loosen.

These are some starters before you try to start interacting with a dog.

Since I'm not afraid of small dogs, only the big ones. (German Shepards, Rocks, Labs, etc.). I also know that dogs can sense fear, which is the main reason I think I'm going to get attacked. I'm just scarred of them.

i dont think your fear is dumb. dogs can kill people.

when i was about 11 or 12, i was attacked by a huskie/shepard mix, my neighbors dog, and had my leg got torn up pretty good. and yet i have ABSOLUTELY no fear of dogs...well, maybe the small ones because they can't stop barking and i think my head would explode if i have to hear them barking and they won't stop and they think they are bigger than they actually are and i could kick them across the country:mad:....sorry:).

dogs are only as mean as their owners let them be...pitbulls, rotts and shepards are the nicest dogs i've ever been around ('cept for the one that beat me). only when owners let them be mean or beat them or go MikeVick on them, they are nice.

so if you know your friends have dogs, try to hang out with them and "get to know" some dogs. you will find that most are nice and sweet and will stink and have bad breath, but are more likely to lick you to death than attack you.

and dogs can sense fear! it's wierd, but they can tell if you are scared and if you act like you are not afriad, they will be backdown. never run from a dog or cower around them. they see that as weakness and will think they can dominant you. my parents have an 80lb samoyed/shepard mix that i've seen him chase people just because they ran or cowered. when you caught, they got slobbered on. my two year old is a little nervous around him, but he wieghs about 25 lbs.

Friends of mine have a vizsla/pointer cross. He's incredible. Gorgeous chocolate brown from end-to-end, incredibly fit, standing about thigh-high to me. If he brushes against you as he's running by, you will be pushed, no matter how big a person you are. He's got this deep-throated bark that makes you think rottie or an even bigger dog. A very, very male dog.

With all these attributes, he's also incredibly gentle with babies and little children. My friends have a little boy who crawls all over him. The two are inseparable because the vizsla eats what the little boy drops. :laugh:

The point I'm trying to get across is that while big dogs may seem scary, most of them aren't aggressive to people. If anything, little dogs are more aggressive, yipping and biting. It's the little napoleon in them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, there is some great advice in this thread, I really appreciate it. I am scared of dogs too. It really is a pain in the a**, because dogs are everywhere. Where I live, people do not keep their dogs on leashes, but let them roam the streets freely. I like to walk a lot, and I try so hard to act calm when a german shepherd comes loping along towards me on the sidewalk. But in reality it makes me very nervous.

I was viciously attacked by a dog. Had to have treatment in hospital.

I have to admit to feeling a little jealous of people who enjoy dogs because they seem to have so much fun with them, and I wish I could too.

So I am going to try to stand my ground and keep my head up when I walk past all these 1,000s of (huge) dogs roaming the damn streets... I still will put my hands in my pockets though ;-)

This is so true. I LOVE dogs, and have never met one that didn't somehow know that and want attention from me. I knew they could smell fear, but I didn't realize/understand they they could sense lllloooovvvveeee too. :love:[/quote

Love is a human emotion, one that dogs don't know of. When a human shows affection, dogs respond to that because they show affection to each other. One of the problems in this country is that humans are showering their dogs with too much affection and not enough exercise and discipline.

When a dog only gets affection, the dog becomes unbalanced and behavioral problems start. Dogs need exercise. Wild dogs and wolves will walk for miles looking for food and this is a primal need. This need is in every domestic dog in the world. Wild dogs and wolves also need discipline and they 'correct' each other when needed. Without discipline, the pack is weak and weakness leads to extinction.

Don't mistake a dog jumping on you, licking you and acting excited as the dog loving you. When a dog jumps on a human, the dog is actually trying to dominate the human and this should never be allowed to happen. When a dog licks a human, especially in the mouth, the dog is submitting to the human. This doesn't mean it loves you, it means that the dog sees the human as a leader.

My way of showing my dogs that I "love" them is by caring for them and providing for them. They know that I am their pack leader because I do these things for them. I show my affection by rubbing them, grooming them, petting them but ONLY after they have been exercised and have gone through a little training.

Love your dog by being it's pack leader. Let your dog love YOU by his submission.

Though I agree with most of this, I do disagree with your notion that dogs cannot 'love'. Love is not defined to just a human emotion. And by your last paragraph, by caring for someone and providing for them, that is what part of love is about. Making sacrafices for the sake of another.

I own two German Shepherds who I went through alot of training with. Though dogs can sense fear they are also a very good protector and a companion that cannot be matched. In all actuality, humans can learn alot from animals, in the terms of unconditional love. Their love is not based on whether you are mad at them that day, or come home in a sour mood. Their devotion is unmatched as well.

One morning while I left for work, my wife was upstairs getting ready. Little did I know that there was a stalker that was breaking into houses in the early morning hours. He waited for me to leave, and proceeded to enter the house. My shepherds were upstairs when the door opened, and when they saw this man (he was 6'5") they attacked. They were never trained to attack but their instincts to protect, kicked in. If it was not for my shepherds, my wife would have been seriously harmed.

Not sure if the OP was attacked by a dog, but I was. By a GSD no less. However what I learned was that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. It relates to having a bad kid, because of the neglect of the kid's parents. Socializing a dog at an early age and defining their responsibilities in their pack goes a very long way.

heatherlinks

I think everybody has something they fear about. I'm very scared with cats, I don't even like to look at them. I'm even more scared with the rats, if I see them somewhere I could run and lock myself in the room. But I try to calm myself if I see cats and rats around.

Sure, everyone has fears but the best way to combat fear is to meet it head-on.

For example, I'm terrified of heights. To combat it, I continuously push myself towards things that include heights but are fun. About a month ago, we went ziplining. The worst part was stepping off the ramp but wow, was it fun and worthwhile. I would do it again in a heartbeat. :)

Im just wondering where the "professional trainer" got her/his training from... no offense..I am not slamming anyone, I just never heard of such wild things before ... I bred rottweilers for almost 25 years and trained police dogs..and trained dogs in all types of work..and I find it strange that you use the term."submission" so easy ..I dont want my dogs to obey me by submission.. they listen out of love ... and obedience....I hate that word submission thats like saying you beat a dog into submission... and telling someone to go into a room full of barking dogs to cure there fear of dogs is so not right... that is strange...wow!!

You need to see a therapist who specializes in fears and phobia's to help get rid of your fear of dogs. I saw a therapist for my anxiety and for some fears I had, and it worked well.

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is the type of therapy to look into. There are different types, some are covered through your insurance and some aren't, so make sure you are covered under your insurance plan...But, if you aren't there are also therapists at colleges who are cheaper, but still very good and well trained.

Hope this helps.