Lack Of Friends.

doiask42much

About the family thing, I am very lucky to have been adopted by my bf's family, the family I wish I had. They pretty much make up for my own fam (even my cousins and I clash badly, and we are the same age, about), but in a way they make the contrast even more stark, and if I were to part ways with my bf, I would be an orphan again! Not that I'm going to or anything; I know I need to think more positively.

I actually live in Las Vegas. Moved out here from Hawaii and went to UNLV.

I am working somewhere else now. Trying to sell art. Never dreamed I would ever be doing this. All my co-workers are older than me. I'm the youngest salesman in the compnay. Some of them are cool. Never went and hung out with any of them yet.

Its been suggested to me I go and branch out to make new friends. It's just hard. Mostly because my ex works with all the friends I've made out here, is why that was suggested.

I do understand the out of sight, out of mind concept. And I think thats whats happening to me right now. I'm not part of the circle anymore. They are still my friends. I just don't have that many close friends anymore.

I'm kind of reserved. But, I can also be outgoing too. Just depends. I am a likeable person! lol. Thanks for the support and kindness!

Starry-eyed
Starry, I love the English version of the Office! (Haven't seen the American one.) I have low-level Anglophilia, as I grew up in NZ. I've seen the original Stepford Wives and found it quite hilarious, particularly the part with the coffee. I'll have to add some of your suggestions to my queue. I have Bad Taste on the way, another Peter Jackson one. Have you seen Soylent Green? I'm curious about that as well. Same kind of theme. Oh, what's the French one? Ummm...Delicatessen. I've seen that one and liked it. I guess I'm on a cannibalism/zombie kick.

I think I might have low-level Anglophilia, too. After all, it's the country that spawned my country and some of my ancestors came here from England back in the early days, like around the turn of the 17th Century. So, to me England in a way is like the parent I never knew!

Oh, yes, I sure have seen Soylent Green. It's classic! It's a bad movie, but a goood bad movie. :D I haven't seen Delicatessen; do you recommend it? If you like zombie flicks, have you seen Night of the Living Dead and/or Dawn of the Dead? There are two versions of Dawn of the Dead, one from the late 70s and a remake that was made just a few years ago; they're both good. Also, Shaun of the Dead is awesome, but you've probably seen it!

Starry-eyed

DoI, that's really cool that your bf's family treats you like family. Maybe the contrast between your family and your adopted (bf's) family allows you to really appreciate the love and care that they give you. Are you and your boyfriend serious? I'm just going through a divorce myself. It's almost final.

Kali, what kind of art are you selling? Paintings or sculptures or something? That sound like a tough job, but at least some of the people there are cool. We spend so much time with our co-workers that it's nice to find at least a few that are cool.

• Author

DOIASK42MUCH - Havent Seen Flight Of The Conchords.. I'll Give It A Watch =] No Tips As Such Yet, But When I Get More Into It I'll Post You Recipes On Here, so You Can Cook Away =]

Lady Soverign ISnt Too Bad, Not Exactly My Cup Of Tea..But She's Good At What She Does!

• Author

I Cant Wait To Get Out And See The World, All Of You Are Talking About America And I'm Stuck In Cold, Wet England. I'm Glad I Found This Site, Cause Its Been Great Talking To You All, Even Though Its Hard To Keep Up!!

x

doiask42much
DoI, that's really cool that your bf's family treats you like family. Maybe the contrast between your family and your adopted (bf's) family allows you to really appreciate the love and care that they give you. Are you and your boyfriend serious? I'm just going through a divorce myself. It's almost final.

How are you feeling about your divorce? I didn't know how much you wanted to divulge and didn't want to pry. What is your current living situation? I read your other post (forget which thread) in which there were a bunch of typos. You'd just gotten home and were tired and I mistook it for drunk! Heh.

I've seen Shaun of the Dead and liked it ok (I think my expectations were too high) and enjoyed the remake of Dawn of the Dead (expectations were low). I like Sarah Polly also, because of Go! and even the Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Heh.

doiask42much

Ok, I read a few of your older posts and now answered most questions I have, other than how you're feeling about your divorce being almost final. Are you and your new guy still thinking about children? I found that thread (Pregnancy and older women) pretty interesting as I, too, am ambivalent about kids but realize that the clock is ticking.

doiask42much
I Cant Wait To Get Out And See The World, All Of You Are Talking About America And I'm Stuck In Cold, Wet England. I'm Glad I Found This Site, Cause Its Been Great Talking To You All, Even Though Its Hard To Keep Up!!

x

I see quite a few LSers are English, or possibly Canadian, judging from how they spell things (favourite, realise, etc.) You should start a thread asking all fellow Englishmen to identify themselves!

Vintage106

Girl, I know how you feel! I can't seem to keep friends. They come into my life, we hang out once or twice and then they're gone. Or I'm the "last resort" friend. I have a wonderful fiance, but I need a female friend in my life. I've been told that it's immature for me to get upset about this because I'm 22, but I personally think it's a lot harder to not have friends when you're an adult. But that's my personal opinion. I had friend problems when I was a teen, but it hurts me a lot worse now that I am an adult than it did as a teen.

Starry-eyed
How are you feeling about your divorce? I didn't know how much you wanted to divulge and didn't want to pry. What is your current living situation? I read your other post (forget which thread) in which there were a bunch of typos. You'd just gotten home and were tired and I mistook it for drunk! Heh.

...I like Sarah Polly also, because of Go! and even the Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Heh.

Hah, how funny about my typos!! :D I am glad about my divorce. But that's fairly easy for me to say, as I am the one who wanted it and I am the one who now has a new relationship and has more positive things in life going on than my now ex-H. But, it's still sad in ways, and there is a grieving process. Usually what I am sad about is not specifically for my H as a person (that must sound cold, but it's the truth, at least now) but for all the things in my life that are lost or changed, like my dogs, my house, my stability and security. But, except for losing my dogs, all the other changes are positive in the bigger picture and help me develop as my own woman.

Did you see Sarah Polly in The Sweet Hereafter? I thought that movie was kinda boring, but I always remember her incest scene. It was striking, because of it's unusualness and because it was hard to tell how she felt about it.

Ok, I read a few of your older posts and now answered most questions I have, other than how you're feeling about your divorce being almost final. Are you and your new guy still thinking about children? I found that thread (Pregnancy and older women) pretty interesting as I, too, am ambivalent about kids but realize that the clock is ticking.

Oh, we're not really thinking about children. In fact, the topic hasn't come up in quite a while. Maybe it was just a phase we were going through with the newness of romance or something?? How old are you, DoI? I'm 40, so I'm pretty well past the time of having a baby. But you surely aren't that old! It's a staggering decision to make. Do you have a bf or H or are you single?

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, I come to this forum and focus on the threads from people who have issues with forming friendships. I find so many threads on this subject---which makes me more sad. I can relate to all of you.I wish I had more "girl"friends...a BEST GIRL friend....in my life.I am happy to have a way to vent my feelings.To all of you out there who want more connection and closer bonds in your life, I am feeling the same.