What IS a soulmate?

HokeyReligions

[color=indigo]I keep reading in the posts about "s/he is my soulmate"

But what is a soulmate to you? I asked a couple people at my office and their replys were interesting. I just wondered what your opinions might be. [/color]

When a person designates another as their "soulmate," it's basically a concoction of their imagination.

In very romantic terms, a soulmate is a person one feels one was meant to be with...a person so ideally suited for them that it defies description.

There is no meter, test, papal decree, letter from Dr. Phil, or whatever that can officially designate a person someone's soulmate. It's just a feeling and nothing more.

If it ends up that the person is indeed the ideal partner after a number of years, I would say BINGO...you've got your soulmate.

It seems to me that the concept of 'soulmate' is one which would be applied to that sort of relationship where you feel 'in sync' with someone else on many levels. The sort of thing where you look at each other across a busy room and you both understand what each other is thinking about what's going on.

You have to have been completely vulnerable to the other to the point where you can be that much 'in sync'. I have seen people who probably could be soulmates, but one or the other has erected a barrier to complete vulnerability. It makes sense because it's a risk to do that; you can really end up crushed if the relationship can't work.

There's the conundrum - you'd figure that 'soulmates' would have to be forever relationships, but you still read about people finding their soulmates and then the relationships don't last.

when we hear the word "soulmate," we tend to see it in the context of romance, but I disagree. In fact, I consider my best friends (one from high school days, one from college days) to be my soul mates even though one of them is female. I think it has to do with the "in sync"-ness that moimeme talks about; of knowing a person so well, that it transcends the confines of romance.

• Author
HokeyReligions

[color=blue]It's interesting how similar the opinions are, and yet how different. My soulmate was my daughter-dog, Gidget. That may sound strange to some of you, but I loved her more than anything - we shared so much and she was always there for me to cry on her shoulder when I needed to and her unconditional love got me through some hard times. Also, her allowing me to make her happy by playing ball or scratching her ears was so wonderful. She knew when I was feeling down and would act accordingly, and she knew when I was happy and would be happy too. I didn't treat her like a person or dress her up or anything silly like that. I know she was a different species than me, but love is love and I loved her totally. She was a very unique personality with funny quirks and a silly sense of humor. She would get embarassed sometimes and she would laugh in her own special way. She, more than anyone else, taught me honesty.

Someone else told me that their definition of a soulmate could support that feeling of love between my Gidget and me. It is her belief that our souls are eternal and pop up from time to time on earth as living beings. Sorta like reincarnation, and that at some time in the past - when our souls were first formed on earch, Gidget and I found each other and loved each other. We could have been anyone (or any mammalian species) and that love finds itself from time to time. Often it is with people of the opposit sex, but just as often it stays within families because soulmates attract each other. But there is no guarantee that two soulmates will find each other in each incarnation. Sometimes we remain lonely.

I don't know that I believe that explanation - but on the surface it makes as much sense as some theories I've heard! :)

Thanks for your opinions - keep 'em coming![/color]

[font=century gothic][/font][color=indigo][/color] A soul mate is anything you imagine it to be.[color=red][/color]My[color=orange][/color] soulmate is[color=brown][/color] Johnny from the[color=indigo][/color] Goos.

[color=olive][/color] Patty