I gave up booze!

RecordProducer

Just wanted to share the happiness I feel because of my decision. Last Sunday I realized that alcohol has been making a lot of harm in my life. I also realized that ruining everything that's good in my life by drinking is no different from being anorexic or addicted to drugs. These people want to die!

I've had a difficult life in the past and drinking did help me let all the anger out and cry my tears away. But now I have a happy, loving family and I want to be able to enjoy it. I don't want to be miserable and make the people who love me most miserable.

I feel so wonderful about this change; I feel safe, I feel like I have escaped from the claws of my worst enemy. I feel like I was put innocent to jail and after 15 years I finally escaped. Before I didn't understand people who quit drinking and never drank one sip of alcohol again. I feel like that now - I don't want to have to do anything with that sh*t anymore.

To all of you who have problems with booze, I have a message - the thing that my mom told me on Sunday: "Start loving yourself!"

The love (of and for my children and husband) made me want to be a better person and live a better life. I deserve to be happy. I don't deserve the horrible destiny of an alcoholic.

For those of you who are curious, there is no craving, no withdrawal symptoms (I didn't drink every day anyway); there is just peace. Peace of mind, body, and soul. Not because of the decision to stop drinking, but because of what changed inside me that caused me to make this decision. I simply decided to be happy. :)

My husband had some business success and wanted us to go to his dad's house and have one drink... he said: "But please just ONE drink!"

I said: "What?!?!?! I don't want to have anything to do with that monster again!!! You can pour me a glass, I can raise it to health and success with you, but I won't drink it." We didn't go anyway because of another reason, but I am not tempted whatsoever.

Nothing is hard in life if you want it really badly. And I wanted to stop drinking really badly. I envied people who didn't drink. Finally I was ready to make the little change that will make a significant change in my future. :bunny:

Ask me if I'm gonna miss feeling miserable, out of control, angry, and ashamed! :sick::rolleyes:

burning 4 revenge

What, no ice cold coronas with lime and a bit of salt on the rim on a hot summer's day, so cold going down, so warm when it gets down there

blind_otter

Congratulations. I never crave alcohol unless it's a time of stress, which is when I would normally use it anyways. It just so happened that I ended up going through an extended period of stress recently because my DAd is dying.

But I would encourage you to write out plans for what other activities you would do to cope when you would normally use alcohol. It does help.

• Author
RecordProducer
What, no ice cold coronas with lime and a bit of salt on the rim on a hot summer's day, so cold going down, so warm when it gets down there
That crap won't slip down my stomach, that's for sure! It just ain't worth the pain! :)

Besides, it's not like any alcoholic beverage tastes really good! Plus there's alcohol-free beer available for purchase. :p

• Author
RecordProducer
Congratulations. I never crave alcohol unless it's a time of stress, which is when I would normally use it anyways. It just so happened that I ended up going through an extended period of stress recently because my DAd is dying.

But I would encourage you to write out plans for what other activities you would do to cope when you would normally use alcohol. It does help.

Thanks, B_O. I am so sorry about your dad, I know how much you love him. :(

I won't cope; I will enjoy the fact that I am not drinking. I have my hubby and kids to give me strength when the chips are down.

And I have myself... finally! :)

Plus there's alcohol-free beer available for purchase.

Any person that that believes they have a problem with alcohol should never drink near beer.

Alcoholism is a denial based disease and drinking near beer is a form of denial for the Alcoholic.

The real beer is less than a drink away at that point.

Congrats of your new found self discovery and good luck.

littlekitty

Hey RP!

Congrats on making a good, healthy decision. :D

Some of what you say really rings true to me... :( Hopefully I'm moving into a place in life where I can let go of some of my 'crutches' that I use, but know I shouldn't.

I recently proved to myself - by being away and unable to indulge in habits - that I don't need these things. I don't worry when I don't have them. So I just have to put that into practice when I'm in my normal routine now. :) Wish me luck too...?

LK xx

• Author
RecordProducer

LittleKitty, I wish you luck. You have to be ready to do it. You have to feel thrilled about doing it. When you make that decision, you have to feel like you won 100 million on lottery.

You have to fear doing it again, not fear how you'll live without it! Got it? ;)

littlekitty
LittleKitty, I wish you luck. You have to be ready to do it. You have to feel thrilled about doing it. When you make that decision, you have to feel like you won 100 million on lottery.

You have to fear doing it again, not fear how you'll live without it! Got it? ;)

Got it! ;)

I have so much happiness and so much to live for... I don't need this crap in my life..! :)

• Author
RecordProducer
Got it! ;)

I have so much happiness and so much to live for... I don't need this crap in my life..! :)

Exactly! Be merciful to yourself. Don't punish the little girl inside you.

It doesn't take strength to say "no", it only takes love.

It's not even weakness. Moreover, it takes a lot of courage to stab yourself in the heart over and over again. For once, be weak and say: "I can't do this to myself anymore. I just feel sorry for myself too much."