spirits...I don't want to die, then live with the living.

hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with spirits/unexplained.

In my town, there are so many people who have seen things. And most people seem to be unafraid. Our culture consists of firm believing in spirits. I think that's why it's so natural and lacks any shock value for most people.

I, on the other hand, haven't experienced anything. But I am so facinated by it. I would be honoured to have an experience. I feel as though it would help me with my fear of death and death of my loved ones. I haven't experienced a death yet. But to know death is not the end, is comforting. The only problem is, unlike others, i'm scared sh*tless to see something!!

A woman in my town buried her 3 year old son. He drowned. He always visits her, and she knows it. This makes me feel different about the afterlife. Are we destined to roam on earth with the living? Isn't that so sad? I want there to be something after this short life we are given, but I don't want to die and haunt a certain room or area for the rest of eternity. I know this is real, but what exactly is it? I guess nobody really has the answers, but does anyone have any insight? Any proof? Or should we only rely on faith and belief, and try not to stress about the truth? Not to say one's faith isn't truth, but for some of us, seeing is believing. Any comments?

I'm not sure 'spirits' are an area which anyone can prove or disprove.

It comes down to what someone believes. If it's true for them....then it becomes their truth. In cases of death....it can be a great comfort.

HokeyReligions

There isn't any proof. You were right when you said we have to rely on faith and our own beliefs. Do you follow any particular religion? Maybe you can talk with the preacher about it or research it on the internet based on your faith.

tattoomytoe

i believe that there are spirits, ghosts, what ever you wanna call them.

i have never had a "concrete" experience- like seen a ghost...but strange things have happened....like the house i live in currently-an older home. well i have a collection a salt and pepper shakers along with some little knick knacks on a shelf....and like once or twice a month they will be moved a bit, also an angel was turned to face the wrong way......i know i did not do it.....and the movable ears on a rabbit have been moved.....again not me!

then i think my parents home has a prescence in it as well, it is upstairs in the computer room, the animals do not go in there, and have randomly barked viercely at the door of the room.

But it is Nothing i can 110% for sure say is a ghost...i am only 100% sure.

I definately would like to be a ghost, if it's possible, after i die.

The "word on the street" is that the ghosts have some unfinished business, or maybe are looking after their loved ones that they were taken from prematurly....... i dunno.

• Author

yeah, it kind of sucks because I don't have a specific religion. I wish I knew more about my own culture. (I'm Mohawk). My uncle is a speaker. (wiseman). He knows everythings there is to know about our culture. I once had a 2 hour long conversation with him on a similar topic. Perhaps I should give him a call (He lives far away). Maybe it's the fact that I don't practice or follow a certain religion or faith, that i'm confused about all of this. I'm just so fixated on death, and actual phenomenons (...correct spelling?) pertaining to afterlife.

Even my mother....the BIGGEST sceptic in the world, is reconsidering her opinion on ghosts. There is just to much going on in this town of ours.

reasontosigh

Some folks out in New Jersey discovered there was enough weird and unexplained things there that they created a magazine about it. It's called Weird NJ, and I think they may have gone online with it by now as well.

Perhaps you could create something similar. Or maybe write about it for the local paper. An interview with your uncle, for example, would make fascinating reading!

• Author

I know!! thanks to that last reply. It's funny because as a child I was always told it wasn't real. And now that I'm older, people in my family think I'm ready to hear the stories and experiences. Like my grandmothers home....My uncle was home alone playing the drums while everyone was out shopping. He looked up and two people were walking down the hallway towards him. They ended up sitting down and watching him play. And that he did! For 3 hours Straight! He closed his eyes and just kept on playing until finally everyone got home. Then he finally stopped. This is just one of sooo many stories I've heard. And when it comes from a respected elder or your own family, there is no question in your mind that it isn't true.

tattoomytoe

i think that a lot has to do with a person perceptions....some persons are more sensative to spiritual things, like a sixth sense.

of course if you were a firm nonbeliver, you could make an excuse for most occurances.

i try to have an open mind about things that i know, do not know, everything....i really do not think you can know everything about something

also personal experince too, but that goes back to how you percievethings that happen.

definatley call your uncle, i am sure he would welcome a discussion with you about his beliefs and those of your culture. then you can form a more informed opinion.

I believe that one's faith and beliefs is important in life. My religion teaches me to believe in heaven, which I do. I don't need any proof beacuse I have faith, and I practice my faith and religion. Maybe you would feel more at ease if you "practiced". But you can't just force yourself to do so, you have to truly want to. And I don't look down on you at all for having these questions and thinking so much about it. Youve got a lot going on around you and a lot to question. My personal opinion on all of this stuff about ghosts and spirits is that we go to Heaven when we die, and we can do anything...like come back to earth among the living. I believe that God is always with us, and I feel that we will be able to do the same one day. I have never really thought about this question you're asking...so this is just the first thing that came to mind. I would also talk to your uncle. YOur familie's and your own beliefs are most important! :)

• Author

I think that would be an amazing idea. I have always wanted to interview on camera, people telling there experiences, and filming the home in which it happened. I went with a few friends on our own little haunted tour of our town, just for fun, to tell the stories along with all the houses.

It's messed up. there is one story though, that I'm scared about. I'm meaning to figure out if this may be a myth. Has anyone ever heard about hair being braided that can't be cut and it pertaining to bad spirits? I've always heard about people finding there horses with braided tails.

But what interests me is one of the latest stories. There is a house where I live, where I believe a non-native man used to live, and he hated children. Years after his death, a family was living in the house, and they had 3 daughters that stayed in the same room. During the night, the girls woke up screaming. All having long hair, one of the girl's hair was braided right around her sisters neck. there's were two figures in the doorway. when the parents came in they couldn't cut the hair. Apparently the police were even involved. When a friend and i asked a police officer about it, he told us never to bring that story up again.

tattoomytoe

i looked up some haunts around where i live too....told my bf we would go when the weather got nicer...plus i will probably piss my pants!

reasontosigh

Yeah, the police do tend to be leery about talking about these things, probably beacuse they are mostly worried about having to deal with potential troublemakers (vandals and the like). I once went (with my now-ex) to check out an old abandoned town. We were followed for a good bit of the way by the local cops. Turned out we didn't find the place, but when we stopped at a nearby diner we learned how close we had actually gotten to it from the waitress! The police were sitting in one of the booths, and heard us telling the waitress we got the idea to go from the magazine. The cops groaned, then sighed.

I think I've heard something about the hair braiding story. Try an internet search to see if similar stories elsewhere come up. Corresponding (through email) with those folks may yield some comparisons, or maybe even an answer or two, that you could use to build a base for your story.

Good luck!

I think ANYTHING spiritual is not a black or white science. There is a great big gray dimension in there we know little about. To explore it is interesting and cool!

I live near St Augustine, FLorida....which is the oldest city in the United States. Talk about some COOL STUFF! They have hauntings and sightings everywhere. It's been on television several times.

Some is probably commercially generated.....but it had to originate with a good story early on.