does anyone suffer from TMJ? what eases it?

tattoomytoe

i am in soo much pain from my TMJ these past 3 days, i cannot sleep....right now it is just twinges and not a constant headache. But it affects my eyes, my jaw of course....it is horrid!

i was wondering if any other had this and what are some things that you do to help ease the pain. right now i am taking butt loads of ibuprofen.

i have searched on line, but without much luck

I have it too, just not had bad as it used to be. My jaw used to lock, and I'd have to snap it apart. You can have surgery to correct this, or you can wait to see if it gets better.

my ex boyfriend had TMJ, he had no idea what is was until he went to the chiropratic (spelling?) and was i guess "diagnosed". he's been going to the chiropratic ever since. it was the only thing that seemed to ease the pain. he's also on Paxil now because the constant headaches made him so depressed.

~Sarah~

What is TMJ and what does it cause? This sounds similar to someone really special to me and I don't think she thinks there's anything wrong with her, but I have to wonder, because she ALWAYS carries around a big bottle of Ibuprofen, and is constantly popping them.

I have tmj too.Try a cold pack on your jaw for 20 minutes.Then the next hour try heat for 20 minutes.You can repeat this untill the pain stops,every other hour cold and heat for 20 minutes.This is what my dentist told me to do and it helped.Heat usually heals pain.Maybe you should try it too.Really though,you should contact your dentist.Dont eat anything hard.Just soft stuff that your jaw can handle untill the pain stops.I also have to wear a mouthguard at night cause of teeth grinding and to help with tmj.It usually helps my jaw.You might need to wear a mouthguard too at night.The mouthguard helps correct jaw alignment and once its corrected,you should feel better.But the best thing you can do,if you cant stand the pain and its keeping you up at night,you really should contact your dentist.

Patty

sportsloving

I broke my jaw a few years ago, and did such a lovely job in it, the ending result is that my jaw no longer is aligned and now I have TMJ. I had (still have) to see an orthodonist and was ordered a splint. Next step is surgery... (and being wired shut yet again so you know why that hasn't happened). When it flairs up, I lay on a heating pad, and take some IB. The IB helps the inflammation go down, but it usually takes a few days before it is back to normal (as normal as it can be related to me anyways). I wish you the best, painful stuff!

soccorsilly

...and I want to preface this with a statement...

"Not a typical response from me"

...and here we go..my GF has TMJ and she takes the Vitimin I btu it definately leads to a tense moment or two in the sack!

LOL

Sorry could not resist--I guess I had one too many Dewars

Just don't go to the doctor and say "I have TMJ", because everyone has that; it's just a joint (that's what the acronym means). What you really have can vary, and there are many different problems with that joint.

• Author
tattoomytoe

thanks for all the suggestions. My grandmother and her sister, my mom and my little sister, we all have it. but i had gone to the dentist and he was doing like 2 hours worth of stuff, so i think that just super agrivated it. i am still taking ibu. for the pain, but it didn't wake me last night, and the headaches aren't nearly as raw! and i am just resting my jaw as much as possible!