Is it too soon for flowers?

Mrlonelyone

I have known this woman "E" since July. We have been friendly most of that time. Now things have taken a romantic turn. We have a date planned for the week of Valentines day. It will be our first "date" date.

Question is it too soon to send flowers on V day?

We have taken things very slow. I tied up some loose ends etc. I really don't want to screw this one up.

Can you bring flowers to her house when you pick her up for the date? If so, do this, but keep the flowers casual -- no roses or fussy arrangements. Just something pretty and small.

You have already agreed on dating and it is Valentine's day soon so she will probably be expecting something from you. I think flowers are fantastic! They will also be a sweet distraction from the frigid winter you guys are having in Chicago right now! I do agree with chocolat though to keep it simple (yet elegant). Irises and lilies are always a good choice! Good luck! ;)

No flowers on a first date. Besides, the price of flowers on Valentine's Day is beyond obscene.

Acknowledge the holiday with something small, tasteful, clever and (most importantly) inexpensive. Aim for "clever and thoughtful", not "impressive".

No flowers on a first date. Besides, the price of flowers on Valentine's Day is beyond obscene..

indeed, its like $20 for one pink carnation

• Author

I was thinking about sending flowers to her work. Not roses, that would be too much....too strong of a symbol for just starting to date.

What woman wouldn't like to have some flowers hand delivered to her workplace on that day? Give her something to show off.

@Alpha male.

I thought about that but she's not big into sweets. She likes to stay in shape, and it impacts on her career being in showbiz and all. It's like for her Lbs=$$$

What woman wouldn't like to have some flowers hand delivered to her workplace on that day? Give her something to show off.

*raises hand*

I would not want flowers at work under many circumstances and especially not prior to a first date. I would hate having to answer the umpteen questions that would ensue about who'd sent me flowers, what was our status, when did we meet, etc., etc. Do you know that this woman will enjoy the scrutiny such an action will bring? If you are sure she will, then go for it. Otherwise, I would back off a bit. It's a first date - a token present will do fine.

She wants flowers from her BOYFRIEND, not from you. Sending flowers to a woman's workplace before a first date is desperate, creepy, and stalkerish.

Do NOT do it.

I was thinking about sending flowers to her work. Not roses, that would be too much....too strong of a symbol for just starting to date.

@Alpha male.

I thought about that but she's not big into sweets. She likes to stay in shape, and it impacts on her career being in showbiz and all. It's like for her Lbs=$$$

Send the flowers. Lilies are my favorites.

Bring the flowers along with you; don't send them to her work. I'd be a bit put-off if it were so early (before relationship) and a man did that. But bringing flowers is always nice!

She wants flowers from her BOYFRIEND, not from you. Sending flowers to a woman's workplace before a first date is desperate, creepy, and stalkerish.

Do NOT do it.

This is kind of mean EasyHeart. MrLonelyOne, like you said, you have known this woman since July, and you two have been friends and now are taking it to a next level. I think that flowers on Valentine's day would be a lovely gesture, and you are right not to go with roses. Try not to overthink it and just follow your intuition. If she is worth your time and effort she will thank you for the flowers and not consider you a creep because you havent 'officially' dated yet!

• Author

Do NOT do it.

I have known this woman since July. We met taking an exercise class...Pole dancing to be precise. We practiced giving eachother lap dances....with contact. We have seen eachother half naked on several occasions...in class.

She asked me out first when I mentioned that seeing her show was kinda pricey she invited me to rehersal... which will be our second date. We have two dates tentatively planned. I asked for and got a sooner first date... as soon as our busy scheduels will allow.

God some of you are WAY too eager to call someone a stalker!

Edited by Mrlonelyone
  • Author
Don't do the flowers, just take her for a date and wish her Happy Valentine's day.

I could do that.... but the date isn't until three days after Valentines. It's in the same week...but not on the day itself. Woulnd't it look like I just forgot or was too cheap to give her something?

I could do that.... but the date isn't until three days after Valentines. It's in the same week...but not on the day itself. Woulnd't it look like I just forgot or was too cheap to give her something?

I thought the date was ON VD. Apparently, my skimming skills were no good. In that case, I'd say, no flowers. Send her a "Happy Valentine's Day" text or something. Really, don't go overboard with things, unless she's given you some sort of indication for it. I don't think anyone expects a Valentine pre-first date.

If you really feel the need to do something cute, the cutest not-stalkerish thing I can think of is buy one of those little kid Valentines (they come in packs, so you may need a pack), write one out, and stick it in the mail, so she'll get it on Valentine's Day or roundabouts. Write something like, "Looking forward to our date!" or whatever is appropriate for your situation. Since you've known her awhile----and ONLY because of that----I think this would be okay. And no backfire from people seeing flowers at work and making her feel self-conscious.

• Author
I thought the date was ON VD. Apparently, my skimming skills were no good.

That's why it's wise not to skim. I didn't realize that my OP was that long.

In that case, I'd say, no flowers. Send her a "Happy Valentine's Day" text or something. Really, don't go overboard with things, unless she's given you some sort of indication for it.

I'll say there are indications... for our second date...the performace I was asked to see the dress rehersal of was of the supremely romantic opera Carmen. You know this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axvhEUyVfX0:love: *

If that's not an indication what is? :)

I don't think anyone expects a Valentine pre-first date.

That can be a good or bad thing... Some women like being somewhat surprised with gifts others do not. I guess I need to figure out which she is.

If you really feel the need to do something cute, the cutest not-stalkerish thing I can think of is buy one of those little kid Valentines (they come in packs, so you may need a pack), write one out, and stick it in the mail, so she'll get it on Valentine's Day or roundabouts. Write something like, "Looking forward to our date!" or whatever is appropriate for your situation. Since you've known her awhile----and ONLY because of that----I think this would be okay. And no backfire from people seeing flowers at work and making her feel self-conscious.

That could be a good idea. Before the agreement to this sooner first date I was thinking of sending an E card.

*It is possible that the significance of that is lost on people. This isn't some community theatre...this is a grand grand opera company. If I told you which one it could give away the womans identity. Though those who have read my other threads might be able to figure it out based on where live.

Edited by Mrlonelyone
  • Author
Cheap? You're already taking her out on dates bro. If you were cheap you wouldn't be spending money on her.

By that logic no man should ever make any extra effort what so ever.

I thank you all for the responses... I have decided I am going to send the flowers to her. I cannot imagine a person doing what she does who does not have a keen enough sense of romance as to not appreciate flowers.

Edited by Mrlonelyone
By that logic no man should ever make any extra effort what so ever.

I thank you all for the responses... I have decided I am going to send the flowers to her. I cannot imagine a person doing what she does who does not have a keen enough sense of romance as to not appreciate flowers.

What? How do you equate what I said to that?

You haven't even been on a date with this woman yet and you're sending her flowers to her job. Not a good move man. Basically, you're sending these flowers because you don't have enough confidence in your demeanor.

You're already taking her out on a date, why would she assume you're cheap because, god forbid you didn't get her anything on Valentine's Day? You're just now embarking on your first date with her for Christ's sake. Take it easy Daddy! Women are easily spooked.

To put it clearly, it is too early in the game for you to be making all of this extra effort. She isn't. You shouldn't either.

• Author
What? How do you equate what I said to that?

You haven't even been on a date with this woman yet and you're sending her flowers to her job. Not a good move man. Basically, you're sending these flowers because you don't have enough confidence in your demeanor.

You clearly haven't read much my description of our relationship up to this point. Please go back and read the OP you seem to have "skimmed" it the way Zengirl did.

Edited by Mrlonelyone
Please go back and read the OP you seem to have "skimmed" it the way Zengirl did.

To be fair, I read the whole OP but skimmed the thread. The OP says this:

I have known this woman "E" since July. We have been friendly most of that time. Now things have taken a romantic turn. We have a date planned for the week of Valentines day. It will be our first "date" date.

Question is it too soon to send flowers on V day?

We have taken things very slow. I tied up some loose ends etc. I really don't want to screw this one up.

VD being in "the week of VD," my assumption was not exactly crazy that the date was that day. You didn't specify "a few days after VD."

As for the romance, do what you will, but too much is just as bad as too little, if you go crazy. Whatever you do, don't make a public spectacle UNLESS you know she loves that. A lot of women don't.

• Author

I appreciated that you all too the time to give feedback. What I did not appreciate is the people who have to make "stalkerish" comments and talk about "presentation" confidence etc. Especially if they haven't done the required reading.

I am just a hopless romantic. I like to do these kind of things for a woman I like... and if she's not the kind of woman that likes that then she's not for me.

• Author

I found a florist who will actually send a single flower. A single pink rose. I have placed the order. Let's see how it works out.