She's pregnant but may not be a citizen.

sugarmomma

My son who is 18 has been dating a mexican female for 2 years who is also 18. She was born here but her parents were not. Her parents speak virtually no english and the father is a mechanic and the mother stays home.

Since the parents were not born here, doesn't that mean that the daughter is also an illegal citizen? I heard that even if the daughter was born here she still would not be able to apply for citizenship until she turns 18 but it would be quicker being pregnant by a us citizen.

Someone was also telling me that the daughter getting pregnant could be a plan so that the entire family can become us citizens. Since once the baby is born she can apply for public aid and child support while she still lives with her parents.

Is this possible? I am just trying to make sure my son isn't being used. He really cares for this girl.

Anybody that is familiar with how these laws work I would really appreciate it.

Your son has been dating her for 2 years and your first thought when he knocked her up is that this is her family's ploy to get public aid??? :(

• Author
Your son has been dating her for 2 years and your first thought when he knocked her up is that this is her family's ploy to get public aid??? :(

Sweetheart I have already posted this topic and my disappointment on another thread. Stay on topic please. I was told by a mexican male today that being born in the US does not automatically make one a legal citizen if the parents were not legal. If you don't know the law please don't reply. I am looking educated responses only. No disrespect.

Well I think if a child is born here they are automatically a US citizen till 18 which is when they have to decide between being a US citizen or being a citizen of their parent's home country as the US does not allow dual citizenship (unless of course the person in question is under 18).

John Bigboote
Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights. Ratified 7/9/1868.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Note the part about "all persons born." It doesn't say anything about the parents being legal, or the person being above or below the age of 18. It says "all persons born."

The US does not allow someone to acquire dual citizenship, but LOTS of people are born with it.

Edited by John Bigboote
  • Author
Note the part about "all persons born." It doesn't say anything about the parents being legal, or the person being above or below the age of 18. It says "all persons born."

The US does not allow someone to acquire dual citizenship, but LOTS of people are born with it.

Thank you John. I have been in such a tizzy since this whole thing went down last week. Can't believe I didn't have the sense to look it up myself. I am so scattered especially since I taught him to be responsible sexually. I'm so devastated and hurt that he has to be a dad at such a young age.

Thanks again

Sweetheart I have already posted this topic and my disappointment on another thread. Stay on topic please. I was told by a mexican male today that being born in the US does not automatically make one a legal citizen if the parents were not legal. If you don't know the law please don't reply. I am looking educated responses only. No disrespect.

You are saying that finding out this information from a Mexican male is educated information? The opinion of one person is not the law. Hmmm. I was thinking more along the lines of consulting a lawyer or other substantial resource, not just asking someone and making that the law.

If she was born in the US, she is a US citizen. If she isn't a US citizen how would they determine her citizenship then, just pick a place on a map? She can't be a citizen of a country if she has never even been there.

I have read your other thread and it seems to me you are only interested in the negative responses that mirror your perspective.

For goodness sake, have you possibly thought they might love each other, that she might be a great person and you are assuming for nothing?

Even if she is using your son to get public aid, there's nothing you can do about it. Someone is going to have to take care of the kid. And yes, your son's life is going to be ****ed for awhile.

If your son's gf was born here, I believe she's a US citizen. You mentioned her parents speak very little English. That does not automatically guarantee that they're here illegally. The "quicker/pregnant" thing sounds like straight propaganda.

Since real lives are at stake, you're best bet is to consult an immigration lawyer with your questions or google it. I'm sure an immigration lawyer will cover basic questions on their website. They'd have the most educated answers for you.

Edited by Gallaxia
skydiveaddict

ANYONE born in the U.S. is a U.S. citizen, WITHOUT EXCEPTION! That's in the Constitution, no two ways about it. Your Mexican friend is 100% WRONG WRONG WRONG

Edited by skydiveaddict
skydiveaddict
My son who is 18 has been dating a mexican female for 2 years who is also 18. She was born here Anybody that is familiar with how these laws work I would really appreciate it.

She is also a U.S. citizen You dont need a lawyer..Since she was born here, She is a citizen as well. Ask any lawyer you want. But it is constitutional law.

If the GF was born at home (in the US) to parents in this country illegally (not an unreasonable situation) and lacks a legal birth certificate or affidavit of birth, it can be problematical to establish clear birthright. It happens all the time in my area, where multitudes of itinerant farmworkers, many illegal aliens, congregate each year to work.

In my own case, my own mother did not have a birth certificate and was born at home (most of her 10 siblings were born at home too) to immigrant (German) parents who were not American citizens. They later established an affidavit of birth through the processes at the time so she could receive services like school and medical assistance, etc. This was during the 1920's. Her parents later became naturalized citizens.

In the OP's case, the parents do not demonstrate knowledge of English (this can be conveniently faked; I know personally) and the OP and her son only have the GF's word that she was born here. As there are ways to determine her birth records independently, I suggested elsewhere that she/he do so, and advised him to see a lawyer. Hope it works out. :)

skydiveaddict

Fourteenth Amendment - Rights Guaranteed Privileges and Immunities of Citizenship, Due Process and Equal Protection

Amendment Text | Annotations

[sIZE=+1] Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. [/sIZE]

Edited by skydiveaddict

If the parents entered the US legally, there will be a record of their entry and the entry any minor children which were with them at time. If none, even absent legal documentation of birth, they can make the case that their daughter was born here merely by her existence and the evidence of the family dynamic (various proofs, like doctor visits, shots, etc).

If they entered illegally, and there necessarily is no record of their entry, big brother will have no idea who entered, when they entered, who was in the family, nothing. Asserting a birthright (and citizenship) for the now adult child without any legal documents to support it, if such is the case, even with anecdotal evidence of the 'family unit', will cause much more difficulty in establishing the girls citizenship. Of course, if properly documented, *her* baby will have citizenship if born in the US.

Now, since the girl attended school, there should be positive evidence from that dynamic, but, as I sadly know, things can be faked (we get that a lot out here).

My instinct is the focus should be on other areas, primarily the relationship and pregnancy, and achieving a positive result there, but, should the relationship become adversarial, it's good to be informed and knowledgeable, IMO.

New information: The GF was born in Mexico

Edited by carhill
skydiveaddict

Agreed , but it does not change the unarguable fact that a baby born on U.S. soil is a United States citizen by birthright. Besides, even if she is illegal, if her baby is born here, no one is going to deport her, none of your assertions will matter, I'm not saying that they shouldn't matter, they just wont. You know the gig

Edited by skydiveaddict

Yes, I've appeared enough in front of judges to 'know the gig'. Everything isn't always as it seems ;)

Edited to add that an apparent possibility has been suggested in the other thread running on this issue and that is to report the family to the INS and push for deportation prior to birth of the child. It will be interesting to see what a lawyer's interpretation of that scenario is.

Edited by carhill
Yes, I've appeared enough in front of judges to 'know the gig'. Everything isn't always as it seems ;)

Edited to add that an apparent possibility has been suggested in the other thread running on this issue and that is to report the family to the INS and push for deportation prior to birth of the child. It will be interesting to see what a lawyer's interpretation of that scenario is.

I think it is really not up to mom to ensure her son's life goes the way she thinks it should. Seems to me that her son has the opportunity to learn some valuable life lessons that mom is contemplating interfering with.

He was not trapped, he chose to not use birth control. He chose his path and mom is trying to force a different path for him.

I'm not agreeing that mom needs to be involved in this at all.

We can have our opinion of her involvement and I personally think a hands-off approach is best, but the threads are about getting accurate information out and clearing up misconceptions she might have received in error, as was shown. This is where competent legal counsel is critical in a situation like this. I know I'd have a ton of questions for a lawyer regarding enforcing custody and support orders, documentation of paternity, and the relative effect of the mother not being a citizen on the disposition of the child. That would be just for starters.

My understanding from the OP is that her son and the young lady are no longer together. She will remain in school and have the baby and he is going off to college. If that is in error, then another strategy would be appropriate. If correct, inevitably, this is going to become adversarial. Sad, but true. Regardless, strategies should account for both positive (hope for the best) and negative (plan for the worst) outcomes. Hopefully mom and dad will provide guidance in achieving a positive (amicable) outcome.

I agree, legal advise is a requirement, but that idea does not seem to be embraced by the original poster. I have yet to read about that happening, if I have not missed something.

I was simply sharing that her insistence in interjecting in this situation may not be warranted at all making the problem not hers.

She does not require anything then.

Just another view to simplify the matter completely for her, as the situation is not hers to begin with.

Reading this thread and doing a quick perusal of the OP's history on LS, as I was unfamiliar prior, I think I understand better her 'protectiveness' for her son. Our words here are unlikely to change that. It sounds like she wants him to take responsibility. I hope he does. :)

Mutant Debutante

Read both threads, as far as I can tell the son and gf are still together and have been together two years. That other thread has had some ugly suggestions IMO. And I do understand the OP feeling protective and disappointed, I would too.

Reading this thread and doing a quick perusal of the OP's history on LS, as I was unfamiliar prior, I think I understand better her 'protectiveness' for her son. Our words here are unlikely to change that. It sounds like she wants him to take responsibility. I hope he does. :)

I read the thread. I am still seeing something other's are not seeing.

In one post she doesn't want that girl in her house, and she is mad at the both of them. She clearly put's more onus the girl than her son.

People have provided ideas to support without money in a few posts, looked at the situation objectively now and she does not respond. She does respond to the posts sympathizing with her, but she does not respond to any parts that suggest she be supportive with her son and her grandchild's mother. I do her that she will be supportive of her son's education.

She says she will make sure her son learns his lesson in another post.

I am also hearing about what is important to her, assuming that should make the same things important to her son. He watched her get an MBA so he can do the same if he feels that is important to him.

The baby won't be allowed to call her grandma as it seems that will cramp her style. She won't raise another child she says, possibly assuming that will be the case. If I were the mother of the child I wouldn't want someone so negative towards me that won't even allow me in their home, to play a role with my child.

I don't hear about how her son feels about it or his girlfriend.

I understand her upset at the situation, but it seems to me she is more interested in remaining that way than moving forth in a positive way.

This might be a good time to befriend the mother of her grandchild, show respect for her and in turn providing her grandchild a great gift. She could respect her son's decisions even if she doesn't agree with them and support him and the mother on an emotional level.

SincereOnlineGuy
She's pregnant but may not be a citizen.

Somebody on the playground told me that non-citizens can't get pregnant.

If she's pregnant, you know she has to be a citizen.