I hate Facebook.

Ruby Slippers

Ruby Slippers

I resisted getting involved with Facebook for SO LONG, for all those privacy reasons, and because I had too many other reasons to be online already. But I recently set up an account, mostly because I need to get involved with it for my business. And all these old friends have been adding me, and I started poking around.

Then I saw a friend of a friend thing, and found my ex's page, which is, of course, plastered with pictures of him and his current girlfriend. Total punch in the gut.

It's been almost two years. I hate that I still care. I hate that seeing pictures of him and her brought up all these feelings of anger, disgust, and sadness.

I am thinking of deactivating my account, but I like to think I'll be strong enough to just not look anymore.

These are the generations of TMI. :mad:

YellowShark

Here's my opinion, Facebook is where narcissists go for validation.

(It amazes me that mankind functioned pretty well for centuries before Facebook was created 6 years ago... now some people live and die by it.)

• Author
Ruby Slippers
I refuse to have a FB account for exactly those reasons

I had this strong aversion to it for so long. Now I'm ferociously reminded why! Do we really need to look at one another's belly button lint with a magnifying glass?

Facebook is where narcissists go for validation.

There are a lot of far-flung friends on there who post truly interesting updates about their lives and travels, but yes, a lot of it is just attention whoring clutter.

I did not need to see pictures of them together. I wish I could scrub my brain out with soap and water.

YellowShark
There are a lot of far-flung friends on there who post truly interesting updates about their lives and travels, but yes, a lot of it is just attention whoring clutter.

Facebook is where a bunch of people go to search for gratification.. Look at my posts! Aren't they funny? Look at my pictures! Aren't they neat! I'm soooo cool! BAAAARRRFFF! :p

Somehow my friends and I have existed for years, and remained in contact, without trying to outdo each other online in a virtual circle jerk. ;)

I did not need to see pictures of them together. I wish I could scrub my brain out with soap and water.

Ya. When I dumped my cheating EX in May of this year, (after 7 years together), she changed her Facebook status to "single" within a week. It was that important to her to announce it on Facebook. 'nuff said.

• Author
Ruby Slippers
Ya. When I dumped my cheating EX in May of this year, (after 7 years together), she changed her Facebook status to "single" within a week. It was that important to her to announce it on Facebook. 'nuff said.

What a bitch. That really sucks.

I'm just... seeing pictures of him looking so blissfully unfazed by anything... it pisses me off. This guy has coasted through his life screwing up, hopping from relationship to relationship, leading women on to get his kicks for a while, and he's just got a big crap-eating grin on his face through all of it.

Part of me hates his new girlfriend because it looks like they're still in the early happy stage, and I know how charming and fun he can be. And part of me feels very sorry for her, because I imagine what's coming, how he'll change his game when he gets bored. She looks like a sweet enough girl. I think he preys upon idealistic, sweet girls -- like I used to be. Maybe he even takes some perverse pleasure in screwing them over.

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

I do all my attention whoring on LS... :rolleyes:

Feelin Frisky

Facebook is where the socially illiterate go to establish an identity they don't have but wish they did. It pukes me out.

I don't have a Facebook account and never will. I'll never have a twitter account either which is even more pointless. I do however have a MySpace account that I have deleted at least once already in the past. I don't however post every little update on my life and change my relationship status and all of that crap. It's funny that people do all of that stuff. :D

LoveTruthChaos

I think he preys upon idealistic, sweet girls -- like I used to be. Maybe he even takes some perverse pleasure in screwing them over.

Did we date the same person?

Nikki Sahagin

OP, you can have a facebook and not have anything to do with your ex - just block him. Then you can enjoy facebook without ever coming across him. If you have mutual friends who may put up pictures or harsh reminders, on your home page where you see status updates etc, just click the X beside that persons name and you can hide them from your feed and therefore resist the urge to snoop.

YellowShark
What a bitch. That really sucks.

Oh it gets worse. The EX-sicko cheated with an ex-good friend who is married! And who's wife is 8 months pregnant! And what was really important to my EX-sicko one week after crossing so many ethical and moral lines wasn't the end of her 7-year relationship, it wasn't remorse, or guilt... it was changing her Facebook status.

I'm just... seeing pictures of him looking so blissfully unfazed by anything... it pisses me off. This guy has coasted through his life screwing up, hopping from relationship to relationship, leading women on to get his kicks for a while, and he's just got a big crap-eating grin on his face through all of it.

And that's because Facebook isn't reality. It's a vehicle for self-promotion. When was the last time you saw Facebook pictures of people paying their auto insurance? Or doing their laundry? Or cleaning their toilet?

Look at the people who have endless pictures of themselves. Why the hell do you need a hundred different pictures of yourself online for the world to see unless you are a serious narcissist?

Part of me hates his new girlfriend because it looks like they're still in the early happy stage, and I know how charming and fun he can be. And part of me feels very sorry for her, because I imagine what's coming, how he'll change his game when he gets bored. She looks like a sweet enough girl. I think he preys upon idealistic, sweet girls -- like I used to be. Maybe he even takes some perverse pleasure in screwing them over.

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

And that's the reality you'll never see posted on Facebook either. ;)

Edited by YellowShark
spelling
LoveTruthChaos
When was the last time you saw Facebook pictures of people paying their auto insurance? Or doing their laundry? Or cleaning their toilet?

Oh WOW, why didn't I think of that?

I gotta get onto that - so many missed opportunities that my million Facebook friends can't experience! I'm sending a package tomorrow after cleaning the cat and bunny poo, I simply MUST document this precious occasion and share it with all my friends!

Thanks YellowShark...I now have reason to live again!

YellowShark
Oh WOW, why didn't I think of that?

I gotta get onto that - so many missed opportunities that my million Facebook friends can't experience!

Don't forget scrubbing dirty pots and popping zits in the bathroom mirror! :p

I'm sending a package tomorrow after cleaning the cat and bunny poo, I simply MUST document this precious occasion and share it with all my friends!

It's not sharing... it's self-promotion. At least that's how interpret posting endless photos of oneself for the world to see.

Thanks YellowShark...I now have reason to live again!

Did you not have any reason to live before Facebook was invented in February of 2004? ...and that's my point. ;) People have made Facebook the centre of their universe. Which cannot be healthy.

But I recently set up an account, mostly because I need to get involved with it for my business.

That's about the only good reason for having a FB account.

ResetReality

Facebook and any other social networking sites are a load a crock,

stupid post, about

"going to bed"

"off to the shower"

and, pics of "moi" what the hell?! like mention before, People who put EVERY bit of detail on the internet are either stupid, naive, or just attention seekers

Ive seen some accounts with Names, Siblings, Place of work, Hometown, where they live

its absolute madness,

Wait though, all these social networking site are something for people to follow, like cattle, its the newest best thing, just wait for something else to come out

like flies to a heap of *****

god, people need to break the mould!!!!

• Author
Ruby Slippers

Thanks, everybody. You all have given me some good laughs in this thread, and helped me feel much better.

I talked to an old friend last night, and he said, "Look, if I were you, I would just feel very relieved that I got away from this guy." And I realized he's right. He reminded me that this guy KNOWS he has issues and can't stay in one relationship for too long, yet he continues to use women (and weed, nicotine, and all his other vices) to distract himself from dealing with his crap. Any good woman he touches is pretty much screwed, because he's going to lure her in with a lot of big talk and exaggerated sentiment, then check out and tear her down once he's got her, leaving her wondering what the hell went wrong. Then, without a scratch, he'll hop to the next unsuspecting victim and go through the same cycle.

He had pictures of her birthday up, telling how old she is, and I noticed she's quite a bit younger. My friend said, "Telling that he went for someone younger. Younger girls are more gullible and easier to deceive, and he knows that." She had that sweet, wide-eyed, unsuspecting look that suggests to me that he is going to chew her up and spit her out. Poor girl.

Did we date the same person?
Possibly! But I have a feeling there are many like him out there.

My friend also said, "All this is going to catch up to him someday. No one gets away with anything." And we joked about how maybe she'll turn out to be a bunny boiler who, once he screws her over, gives him a good, swift kick in the balls.

That's about the only good reason for having a FB account.

I said "mostly" for my biz, but actually, it's the ONLY reason I set up an account. And it severely underwhelmed me from the start.

And that's because Facebook isn't reality. It's a vehicle for self-promotion. When was the last time you saw Facebook pictures of people paying their auto insurance? Or doing their laundry? Or cleaning their toilet?

Look at the people who have endless pictures of themselves. Why the hell do you need a hundred different pictures of yourself online for the world to see unless you are a serious narcissist?

Great points, all. Thanks for the reality check!

Oh it gets worse. The EX-sicko cheated with an ex-good friend who is married! And who's wife is 8 months pregnant! And what was really important to my EX-sicko one week after crossing so many ethical and moral lines wasn't the end of her 7-year relationship, it wasn't remorse, or guilt... it was changing her Facebook status.

Oh, man, that is seriously screwed up. My first thought is that you were done much worse than I was. But in your case, it's pretty clear that the ex-sicko was just plain nuts, and I wonder: Does that make it any easier to deal with?

I deleted all "friends" (everyone) from my facebook page .. and it is just me on there giving some info and advertising my companies ..

I don't bring anymore friends on there (300, 800 + friends .. give me a break) Keeping the facebook account still gives others the freedom to visit my homepage and me theirs ..

Ignore your ex on there - unless you wish to look just for curiousity .. Remember things are not as they seem ..

YellowShark
Oh, man, that is seriously screwed up. My first thought is that you were done much worse than I was. But in your case, it's pretty clear that the ex-sicko was just plain nuts, and I wonder: Does that make it any easier to deal with?

Ya. It was SERIOUSLY screwed up. My ex-friend betrayed me, he betrayed his pregnant wife, and my girlfriend of seven years betrayed me, and crossed some really serious social and moral red lines in the sand while doing it.

And a week after all that immorality AND after I had moved out after 7 years together all she could think of was to make sure she was on her Facebook page changing her status from "in a relationship" to "single."

It only reinforced what I already thought about Facebook and Twitter.

LoveTruthChaos

My ex is 41, and I am 26.

When I was at his house, he was constantly on FB, almost spent more time on it than with me (and I was only there for a precious 4 months as part of an LDR). He replied to EVERY birthday message he got (like, who does that?). He treated it like some kind of fan club to himself! He posts sh*t on his wall (notes about music) that forces people to respond so he feels popular, and then posted a note saying 'Why is it that I have 900 friends but only 100 ever write?'

Farking narcissist, I tell ya!

I'm glad to get that obsessive little sh*t out of my life!

He even used to ask me on our 'phone dates' every week if I'd heard from or spoken to anyone through FB. Dude, I went OUT to see friends. I have a life!

Yeesh.

BubbleFreak

FB annoys me too a lot of the time so here is my rant. I became obsessed with it when I started playing FB games, but then I pulled myself away and have tried to limit my time on there. There is this one girl I was friends with in highschool who updates her status at least every waking hour every day, with stuff I don't care about like "it's almost midnight so I will sleep in 2 minutes" or "just brushed my teeth". I want to delete her as a friend but I don't want her to ask me why I did, and create drama.

It's useful because I know my friends are constantly on FB so if I want to contact several of them at once and let them know the details of something I can send them messages.

OP, sounds like you could probably do without FB. It seems to be more problematic than helpful.

Facebook is where the socially illiterate go to establish an identity they don't have but wish they did. It pukes me out.

WOW I'll have to remember that when My son and grandson share some pictures of their adventures that I couldn't otherwise be apart of. Sorry but your post is offending to us grandparents who rely on facebook as a method to keep in touch. Maybe in the future you'll think twice and reconsider what other uses these online sites have other then the one posed. You are welcome to your own perspective but dang dude open your mind to other avenues.

Yes their are some strict controls setup that if a person takes the time to utilize will stop the adding of friends of friends and things that are stated earlier as annoying. Mine is private and only allows family or endearing friends from around the globe.

Facebook and any other social networking sites are a load a crock,

(edited full post for ease of respondent)

god, people need to break the mould!!!!

Umm ...pretty sure this here is a social network site....So how would you like your humble pie served? I'll even add whipped cream at no charge :)

Mould or mold...I never knew they were interchangeable.

YellowShark
He treated it like some kind of fan club to himself!

And that's exactly what Facebook is. A narcissist's wet dream. :)

Umm ...pretty sure this here is a social network site....So how would you like your humble pie served? I'll even add whipped cream at no charge :)

This is a online discussion forum for people needing support and advice. It's not a social networking site.

WOW I'll have to remember that when My son and grandson share some pictures of their adventures that I couldn't otherwise be apart of.

They could attach those pictures to an email addressed specifically to you. That would be so much more thoughtful and personal.

Sorry but your post is offending to us grandparents who rely on facebook as a method to keep in touch.

My grandparents lived into their mid-90's and always stayed in touch with the grandkids, without ever using Facebook once.

Edited by YellowShark