WTF - Serioulsy not having a good week!

curiousnycgirl

Just came from the doctor - ever hear of Costochondritis, because I hadn't before. But now I have a name for what I am learning is a chronic condition which causes chronic pain and loss of strength (in my left arm). While we have pretty much confirmed I have that - I go back next week to see if it is actually Fibromyaligia.

I figure hey that might be good - because it appears to be getting a lot of attention nowadays, so hopefully there are good drugs out there!

Dr. said my high activity level is a blessing, but I will have to curb some of those activities. Um.....yup that's not going to happen. We will work together to develop a plan to manage this but......

WHY????!!!?!!!?

I think I must have done something really bad in a previous life to have a week this bad. That or G-d is really getting a good chuckle!

Here is some info

By Mayo Clinic

Treatments and drugs

Costochondritis usually goes away on its own. The pain usually lasts a week or two and then resolves.

To ease your pain until it fades, your doctor may recommend:

• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve)
  • Antidepressants, specifically a category of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants, if pain is making it difficult to sleep at night
  • Muscle relaxants, which can also help ease pain

Lifestyle and home remedies

It can be frustrating to know that there's little your doctor can do to treat your costochondritis. But you can take self-care measures to make yourself more comfortable, which can give you a greater sense of control over your condition. To help relieve the pain of costochondritis, try to:

• Rest. Avoid activities that make your pain worse.
  • Exercise.It may seem contradictory to rest, but gentle exercises, such as walking or swimming, can improve your mood and keep your body healthy. Don't overdo it, and stop if exercise increases your pain.
  • Use a heating pad. Apply a heating pad to the painful area several times a day. Keep the heat setting on low.

Once your pain is gone, continue taking it easy. Slowly work your way back to your normal activities.

Hey curiousnycgirl,

I don't know anything about what you are going thru medically but I wanted to just offer you a hug and maybe some some Dove Dark Chocolate...

**hug**

Hope you feel better and find some answers

• Author
curiousnycgirl

Thanks GrayClouds - yup I have all that already - problem is I don't have gthe kind that goes away - I have the kind that sticks around forever - and stays about the same unless you hurt yourself, in which case it gets worse and then stays the same. I'm just a wee bit bummed that's all - this too shall pass (the being bummed), I will learn to manage and deal and life will move on.

Thank you too Art Critic - I really apprecaite just knowing someone (or in the case of here folks) care.

I think I must have done something really bad in a previous life to have...

I often think that too. :(

Sorry about the medical problems, hope they'll get better soon.

I feel pretty good, except a bit grumpy tonight from shopping and being hungry. H.'s working late so I'm waiting for him to come pick me up for dinner and my silly woes will be cured. :)

Btw, I've also had to curb some of my exercise, so we can be grumpy together.

• Author
curiousnycgirl

Thanks Ariadne - actually today was a somewhat happy day. My dear friend thought he was going to find out his cancer was back and his time was limited. While he doesn't know what it is - his uber expert in his field oncologist doesn't think it's cancer. So today is a day to celebrate and remember perspective.

TBF - well then I couldn't be in better company! Glad to hear things are overall going well for you. I'm very excited about all the joy in your life and choose to live vicariously through your posts. Way better than focussing on my life right now. :bunny::bunny:

• Author
curiousnycgirl

Thanks Star - prognosis is living with the pain. I go back for further testing this week to find out if it is more widespread (it is, but more intermittent - the chest is constant) and discuss physical and electro therapy.

It's a weird condition - it never gets any better or any worse on it's own. However if I injuure myself, like the horse kicking me, or twisting wrong - then it will get worse, and stay worse at that level until something else happens.

She's already implied that my lifestyle will have to change, horseback riding is not a recommended activity with this type of connective tissue disorder. But I told her that's non negotiable - so we'll just have to figure out how to ease the pain.

Guess I'll have to ask about scuba diving and skiing since as soon as the break up happened, I booked two trips to do those things (Caymans and Tahoe).

Hey in the scheme of things, it could be way worse - it could be better too, but overall it can be lived with. I'm just stunned at how bad a time I am having!