Is the first date goobye ever a deal breaker?

likestolaugh

I just came back from a first date with someone... I think the date went well... She seemed to enjoy herself, as did I. Thing is, I froze up when we were saying goodbye.... instead of kissing her (which she may have been expecting, given her head movement when I went for the hug) I hugged her. I did this for two reasons... first, we hadn't been all touchy touchy all evening anyway... sure, teasing pokes and nudges and such, but nothing more... so I didn't think taking the plunge was something to do the first time. Second, there have been things in my past which have made me regret moving too fast in that regard... so slow is better, imo.

Anyway, she repeated several times that "we'd be in touch soon

... "we'd get together soon"... "talk soon" etc... so I think she was interested... but I just feel like I may have made the wrong move at the end. Hopefully she'll look past this.

Now, I don't want to turn this into a "to kiss or not to kiss" on a first date thread... but I was just wondering if anyone has ever personally considered that part of it a complete deal breaker if it didn't happen...? Would a second chance still be in the books?

Pffft, I wouldn't worry about it. If she likes you, they'll be a second date and you can kiss her then.

Hell, I had a first date with a girl that when we kissed, I blurted "wow, you don't waste any time". Turned into a 2 year relationship and we had many laughs about that later. :D

oh you are so doing just fine. if it is the first date i would err on the side of not trying to go in for the kiss, than trying to go in for the kiss. i completely agree with you that the post first date, what is going to happen, did i screw up jitters is the worst!!! but, if she's into you, not kissing her the first time just builds up the anticipation. you guys will kiss when it feels right.

• Author

yeah, well I'm gonna text her tomorrow... suggesting we get together next week sometime and that I'll call her in the next couple days...

having been rejected so many times I guess I'm hesitant to commit too soon... but she certainly seemed like she wanted to see me again, and I'd like to see her so...

I've just no idea how much emphasis women generally put on this part. For me it doesn't matter... but then I usually prefer moving slowly (not too slow of course lol)

good for you!!! i can definitely relate to the feeling burnt by past rejections. but people are really harsh in the teens and well into the 20s, but those of us who were a mess around that time and got shot down a lot usually end up being the hot tickets later... so, i bet you're a catch now and just haven't really come to terms with it... in which case, from her perspective you're probably even more desirable.... keep us posted!

Dark-N-Romantic

Why does that matter if you are 23 and she's 21 or if you were 103 and she 18? Just enjoy the first date. Take mental notes of what you would like to change and improve on. But, most importantly, go with your feelings and be attentive to her's. I hope you get that second date.

DNR

Go get 'er Tiger!

• Author
Why does that matter if you are 23 and she's 21 or if you were 103 and she 18? Just enjoy the first date. Take mental notes of what you would like to change and improve on. But, most importantly, go with your feelings and be attentive to her's. I hope you get that second date.

DNR

Go get 'er Tiger!

oh, the age doesn't matter... I just mentioned it more as it related to OkeyDokey's post... :)

Just gauge how well the date is going by body language from her end. Hell, if all goes well you can even go in for the move during the middle of your 2nd date!

betterthandead

I dislike the notion of having to do something at the "end" of a date. What's wrong with doing it in between or some other time like a second or third date, etc.

• Author

****. Well I'm gonna have to cancel brunch... came down with a dose of food poisoning. :mad: I hope she understands....:eek: