How long do affairs normally last

Any thought on this? I"m also curious. If they go on for a long time, 5 years or more, do you think they guy would ever leave his wife? or just keep doing the same thing until he gets caught?

i have been in a relationship with my mm for over 3 years now.... first started as friends and then turned emotional and then finally psycial. i think alot of them will do it untill they get caught and then once the dust settles they will start back again......... maybe not with the same person but they will find someone

I have been with my MM for just over 3 years.........he has the best of two worlds.........he isn't going to sacrifice either relationship.

lovernotafighter

I believe the affair will last as long as either 1) the MM get caught 2) the OW makes NC or 3) the OW wants the MM to get a divorce and the MM starts to recoil.

I believe the can go on for years and years and years...my MM and I have known each other about a year and half...we kept inching closer and closer now it's pretty much out of hand and I know if I don't end it,it won't stop.

Blind Illusion

I "met" him online 6 years ago. Met him in person after knowing him 8 months..slept with him 2 months after that. THE REST IS HISTORY. A long, complicated history.

That 's the short version. Somehow the novella I wrote describing it all was lost in cyberspace and probably this is just as well anyhow.

or until one of the people having the affair decides to end it. Most of the time, affairs don't end even after the MM/MW has been caught. Exposer simply makes the affair more difficult.

My grandfather had an affair that lasted for 50 years. It began before he and my grandmother got married and had 9 children. And it lasted until the OW died at the age of 72. My grandmother knew about the affair. Everyone knew. But no one talked about it. My grandmother chose to accept the affair because she didn't want to divorce my grandfather. And he never left her.

I don't know what the OW's life was like. I met her a few times while she was alive. She had 4 children (not my grandfather's). But she wasn't married. I guess she was happy with being the OW. Despite the affair, my grandfather was an attractive, generous, and well respected man.

I wonder, if I ever find a man like him, would I be like my grandmother by accepting the affair. Or would I be like I've been so far, losing men I love because of OW?

I'm taking a page from my mom, it lasted till the OW had a child. She divorced his sorry butt.

As the mother of his first male child, in a chinese male dominated society, guess who had power in the relationship.

Any thought on this? I"m also curious. If they go on for a long time, 5 years or more, do you think they guy would ever leave his wife? or just keep doing the same thing until he gets caught?

I think this has already been answered... they go on as long as they do, until a D-day, or the OW gets tired of it. Why else would they stop? (but as someone has already said, many times the affair just continues, more carefully, even after discovery).

Whether a MM will leave his wife or not is another story. I've just written in another thread about how MM are ones for taking the easy route. And divorce cannot be considered an easy route by anyone.

There is some stuff written about how 'if he hasn't left after 6 months then he's never going to leave'. But there was a survey on another site recently, one in which OW post, which asked about how long it was before their MM filed for divorce. The results were that most divorces happened 2-3 years into the affair. There was another survey on the same site asking about the 2-year itch that OW get... certainly I know this has happened to me (I've lost patience completely with the waiting, and I've turned into a miserable witch about it... it's now or never as far as I'm concerned). I think there's probably something more than coincidence in these timings... i.e. OW gets really fed up after 2 years... and then either ends it, or MM leaves his M.

So, I would think that there are a number of periods when his leaving is more likely than others. One is early in the affair, before it gets settled into long-term. I would think this would be true if the MM was already thinking of getting out, and his finding someone outside the M was a catalyst to that. The second would be around the 2-3 year mark, when the OW started stamping her feet or getting depressed or walking away. A MM who had fallen in love and wanted a future with his OW might leave then. Then the other time might be much later in an affair which had lasted many years, perhaps when any children of the M had grown and left home. I'm surmising about this last one, however, because I've not read reports from OW that this actually happened to them. I'm going on the prevalence for divorce in couples who have children going to college... but maybe it's the wife who files then. I don't know.

Anyway, there's another ramble over.

I agree with other posters as well. Till they get caught or there is a child that comes from the affair . :eek: If it is going on this long why would they stop it when they are getting away with it?:eek: It will continue if it has gone on this long. Does the OP know?

Blind Illusion

My grandfather had an affair that lasted for 50 years. It began before he and my grandmother got married and had 9 children. And it lasted until the OW died at the age of 72.

Wow, for 50 years, huh. That astonishes me for some reason. I'm not sure if its because I can't imagine it lasting taht long or if I can't imagine being in this same situation for that amount of time

Wow, for 50 years, huh. That astonishes me for some reason. I'm not sure if its because I can't imagine it lasting taht long or if I can't imagine being in this same situation for that amount of time

Blind Illusion,

That is amazing. My instant thought was that it sounds like your grandfather met the love of his life that maybe he couldnt have for one reason or another. Then met your grandmother who he just adored as well. That is facinating. (The subject deserves its own thread.)

Blind Illusion

That wasn't me CeeJay, but Cupcake but I was in such awe of this, too, that I had to post on it. I agree, it is worthy of a thread all of its own.

lovernotafighter
Blind Illusion,

That is amazing. My instant thought was that it sounds like your grandfather met the love of his life that maybe he couldnt have for one reason or another. Then met your grandmother who he just adored as well. That is facinating. (The subject deserves its own thread.)

wow this story is kinda like the royal family stuff. but it's so sad! how could anyone be in this kinda situation for so long? it's mind blowing

Wow:eek: my take on Cupcake's grandparents is so different from this:

Originally Posted by CeeJayXX

Blind Illusion,

No need to romanticize it. It's a classic example of patriarchal power. At that time men had power and wives often had no choice but to accept a mistress.

This forum might be an example that men haven't lost very much power, it's just shifted from direct and overt into other kinds of avenues. Women are no longer pissed off but unable to change their marital arrangments... they just re-frame what is basically polygamy into "romance," "soulmates" and "the love that could never be."

What if your MM told you that his wife is pregnant with another child (they already have children)? Would that seal the deal for you? Or would you still stay around?

zarathustra
Wow:eek: my take on Cupcake's grandparents is so different from this:

No need to romanticize it. It's a classic example of patriarchal power. At that time men had power and wives often had no choice but to accept a mistress.

This forum might be an example that men haven't lost very much power, it's just shifted from direct and overt into other kinds of avenues. Women are no longer pissed off but unable to change their marital arrangments... they just re-frame what is basically polygamy into "romance," "soulmates" and "the love that could never be."

My grandmother is the legal wife of my grandfather - he married her first. He had another 'wife' who is the mother of 6 of his other children. He had a separate home with each 'wife'. Not that it was legal in the country they were from, but women took it because women needed their men to take care of them financially. But what would a woman do, take it to the authorities and lose all financial support? I think that the sentence for poligamy is quite harsh. It honestly broke my grandmother's heart that his love was split between two women. She loved him intensely by also hated him for what he had done with her life. I think this went on for over 50 years, I would say. But alas, those were the times... those were the days.

lover's rock

I have a question for everyone? What would you do if your MM told you that his wife was pregnant with another child and that there is no possible way that he would ever leave her? Would that seal the deal for you? Or would you still stay around? Would you still email him and call him and text message him even though he's made it clear what he plans to do?

I have a question for everyone? What would you do if your MM told you that his wife was pregnant with another child and that there is no possible way that he would ever leave her? Would that seal the deal for you? Or would you still stay around? Would you still email him and call him and text message him even though he's made it clear what he plans to do?

Why would you stick around? Why don't you start your own thread about this?

lover's rock

Because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. And since this thread was talking about how affairs would end...I thought it would be a good place to ask the opinions of the people in this thread. I don't mean to offend.

Because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. And since this thread was talking about how affairs would end...I thought it would be a good place to ask the opinions of the people in this thread. I don't mean to offend.

I didn't mean you'd offend anybody. I just thought maybe you'd get more responses with a seperate thread.. but it's all good :) Like I said though, I wouldn't stick around.. for what? He's blatantly told you what his plans are. Don't settle for second best..

I think that the sentence for poligamy is quite harsh. It honestly broke my grandmother's heart that his love was split between two women. She loved him intensely by also hated him for what he had done with her life. I think this went on for over 50 years, I would say. But alas, those were the times... those were the days.

I didn't mean to downgrade our grandmothers' generations with my use of the word polygamy. I mean.... they had no choice and I admire them for living through times when they had so little power.

Now we women have more power. We can earn our own money, we can leave any bad marriage, we can have more control of our lives... and still we've got women more or less sharing a husband in the situation of long term affairs. That's the case where I'm using the word polygamy. Women of our generation have so many more reasons not to be in the situations our mothers and grandmothers hated. As you say, it broke your grandmother's heart. We should honor their sacrifices by avoiding the modern day "polygamy" of long term affairs where we basically "share" a husband.

Our grandmothers suffered through this indignity. Modern women are putting themselves through it willingly. That's sad and evidence of how little changes.

Blind Illusion
My grandmother is the legal wife of my grandfather - he married her first. He had another 'wife' who is the mother of 6 of his other children. He had a separate home with each 'wife'. Not that it was legal in the country they were from, but women took it because women needed their men to take care of them financially. But what would a woman do, take it to the authorities and lose all financial support? I think that the sentence for poligamy is quite harsh. It honestly broke my grandmother's heart that his love was split between two women. She loved him intensely by also hated him for what he had done with her life. I think this went on for over 50 years, I would say. But alas, those were the times... those were the days.

Zarathustra, Grateful, I can very much appreciate this outlook too, especially when I look at it from a woman's standpoint and not a romantic one. I think these are good points.

I guess it's all about perspective. Perhaps from that original OW's point of view, one might see a great love that has stood the test of time. From another, it's about a man wanting more than he is willing to give. Then, like you said, there's the women that didn't have any choice but to accept and that saddens me too.

IF he never had any intention of leaving,I wouldn't have got involved in the first place. And if they were still having sex I wouldn't be seeing him at all.

IF he never had any intention of leaving,I wouldn't have got involved in the first place. And if they were still having sex I wouldn't be seeing him at all.

Wow, you really believe that? And they live together in the same house? And she doesn't know he's having an affair?