when do you know when the (wo)man is the last one you date

When and how do you REALLY know when the person you are dating is the last one, as in the one you will marry?

Just curious.

When and how do you REALLY know when the person you are dating is the last one, as in the one you will marry?

There was no "when." I've never envisioned an ending, so there was no moment when I stopped to think "this is the one." I just don't want him to go anywhere. If I had stopped to think about it I would have probably freaked out because I am a committment phobe.

"How" is just as eventual as "when." It builds - the feeling that this person is an essential part of your life. It creeps up on you slowly and takes a very strong hold.

I wish there was a "when" like 4 months before you meet "the one." I would have totally, y'know, sowed my wild oats. That's the one thing about the eventual, slow realization I described above that kind of sucks. No warning that you are about to settle down.

I doubt there's any rule of thumb. Either it happens or it doesn't.

After being divorced for two years following the end of a 25-year marriage and living like a monk, I finally decided to try a date. I asked out a former coworker who had also been a friend for five years. She was the first person I dated, the ponly person I dated and has now been my wife for almost ten years.

I knew on the first date!

I knew on the first date!

thats very nice CURMUDGEON.....now tell us how or what you knew.

Very simple. I knew that this was the person I wanted in my life permanently. We were already friends, we communicated well and admired and respected one another. We enhanced one another professionally so it was no stretch to do so personally. There were great similarities in our childhood backgrounds and experiences (both only children and military brats) and significant differences in our adult backgrounds and experiences that always gave us plenty to talk about.

We fell in love and have remained that way. It's as simple as that!