Another one of those little tests

The Dude Abides

Veteran poster Mr. Lucky just started a thread with a test question.

Here is another one for those men here who are married. ;)

The scenario: you and your wife have decided to paint one or more rooms in the house. You know your wife has a hard time deciding which colors to use. She likes to see samples on the walls. Lots and lots of samples. I mean, A LOT of samples :eek::eek:

She also asks for your input on which color(s) should be selected.

Do you do as I have learned to do, after many years of marriage, and cheerfully continue to roll samples on the wall? No matter how many samples look really close to the previous samples? :(:confused:

Do you do as I have learned to do, after many years of marriage, and avoid committing to a firm opinion? :lmao: Knowing that it's best to see things through her eyes? :)

Post your opinions and experiences here.

I think she’s just using you to bounce off of but the decision will ultimately be her own.

Go along to get along.

This reminds me why I loved that my exH was colorblind. He was Mr Macho Mean Man but every room in our house was painted either pink or lavender.

• Author
The Dude Abides
He was Mr Macho Mean Man but every room in our house was painted either pink or lavender.

LOL :D. Did any of his tough-guy buddies see the inside of his house? :lmao:

I learned years ago to do exactly as my wife says when it comes to colors, design or the like.. it's easier and she won't take any ideas I have anyhow and use them so I conform, she sometimes gets mad whenever I say whatever color you want.. but if I give my color choice to her she just blows me off anyhow and does what she wants..

She can't make a decision if her life depended on it so these things take lots of time....

• Author
The Dude Abides
Yea. Quite often. They’d come for dinner sometimes and eat off of our pastel floral dishes.

I read your story on another thread and I am sorry to hear about what you and your kids have been through so far.

With that said, at least you can get some comic relief while thinking of this from time to time. :p

• Like 1
Knowing that it's best to see things through her eyes? :)

My wife asks me so she knows which choices to rule out. “blue or green” she’ll ask me, holding up two scarves. “Green” I say, ensuring she’ll go with blue.

I just finished a dedicated home theater in our house where, for light absorption, everything (ceiling, furniture, walls, floors, etc) is black. She says it’s my best job of color matching ever...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

If you have a strong negative opinion speak up. For the stuff where you don't really care -- like the shade when you can't tell the difference -- let her pick & keep on rollin'

• Like 1
  • Author
The Dude Abides
If you have a strong negative opinion speak up. For the stuff where you don't really care -- like the shade when you can't tell the difference -- let her pick & keep on rollin'

My darling wife picked up some sample cards for decorative trends that are "IN". So I rolled on some samples of some bright reddish maroon kinda color. She asked what I thought. I did offer an opinion for those reds and said they look like what's inside of a French whorehouse. She decided the colors, while trendy, aren't for us. :lmao:

For the record, I have not visited France and I have not visited any bordellos LOL . That was all speculation on my part.:laugh:

• Author
The Dude Abides
My wife asks me so she knows which choices to rule out. “blue or green” she’ll ask me, holding up two scarves. “Green” I say, ensuring she’ll go with blue.

I just finished a dedicated home theater in our house where, for light absorption, everything (ceiling, furniture, walls, floors, etc) is black. She says it’s my best job of color matching ever...

Mr. Lucky

Well done Mr. Lucky, ;)

I had a home theater job once years ago and the color scheme was dark brown. All equipment was in a separate room so there weren't any lights showing from dials or LEDs, etc. That was really as dark as a cave in there !

My husband used to say I was terrible at picking out colours....that was until one day, he went with me to the ophthalmologist. I had an exam for a different reason, and one of the test involved colour detection. Apparently, I'm one of those people who can see a lot more colours than average ( or so she said).

On paper, my ability to pick out colours is now confirmed, but I still suck at it. My husband picked out our new kitchen flooring, countertops etc. and also wall colour because he enjoys doing it and it makes him happy. The added bonus is I really couldn't care less what colours he chooses, so long as it all goes together. win-win:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can’t pick colors to save my life. I agonize over the decision and I have a basement full of mostly full oak t cans from my many painting fails. So, my husband’s opinion is invaluable to me when we paint a room. At least paint is cheap... .

I pick the ones I like. Out of about 50 :confused:

Then I say you know more about this than I do (very true). It helps that I'm color blind so....

She picks and I paint. Works for us.

Choosing paint colours is one of the few things which can threaten our otherwise stable relationship :D

And he would not roll all the different colours - if I want them rolled on, it would be my job to do.

• Author
The Dude Abides
Choosing paint colours is one of the few things which can threaten our otherwise stable relationship :D

Same here at our house, and thus my ready acceptance of a new way of doing things. :D

I recall thirty years ago, working in the house of a pleasant, middle-aged couple. The wife said something along the lines of "The closest we ever came to divorce was twenty years ago when we tried to hang wall paper together". I looked at her husband and he just gave me a "LOOK". I didn't quite understand what that LOOK meant at the time.

Then, I got married and at some point we decided to paint together. Then, it was all clear as could be. :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Author
The Dude Abides
I can’t pick colors to save my life. I agonize over the decision and I have a basement full of mostly full oak t cans from my many painting fails. So, my husband’s opinion is invaluable to me when we paint a room. At least paint is cheap... .

To prepare for our recent move, I had what seems was about a truck load of old paint cans to take to the dumb. Most were partially used samples. :eek: