LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Marriage & Life Partnerships

Attention seeking partner: What would you do?

Marriage & Life Partnerships Debunking the old-ball-and-chain stereotype one couple at a time.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2018, 5:52 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby31 View Post
I don't want to give up on him and us. could this be growing pains? does this ever get better? I know who he could be, and who he is at times when he's not being foolish. I love him so much he is my best friend. Everyone has their issuses this can get better right?
He will continue this behavior as long as you put up with it. If not putting up with it anymore means you have to leave, I'm sorry to say, then that will be your only choice. You have to decide how long you are willing to suffer.
Old 14th July 2018, 7:27 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
I don't want to give up on him and us. could this be growing pains? does this ever get better? I know who he could be, and who he is at times when he's not being foolish. I love him so much he is my best friend. Everyone has their issuses this can get better right?
With all due respect, I would not say that it is growing pains. I would suggest that this is character. And, a person's true character doesn't change.

Everyone has their issues... I'm just back from a weekend camping with my boyfriend and he spent the weekend complaining about the bugs, the heat, the uncomfortable bed, etc... He drove me crazy this weekend but his complaints are not deal breakers. If he had poor boundaries and was partying with his brother and not coming home or going to dinner with other women, he would not be coming home to me. I'm sorry. I wouldn't tolerate this behavior.

Does he see a problem? Does he want to change his behavior? Is he concerned and wanting to be more considerate of your feelings or needs? What have his ACTIONS shown you?

Staying wih someone because you know "who they could be" and waiting for them to change is not a good way to live your life. You're going to waste a lot of time waiting for someone to change, when you have absolutely no control of the outcome. It's not a wise thing to do.
Old 14th July 2018, 8:08 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Everyone has their issues this can get better right?
Some of my more "attention seeking" friends have run out of the energy in their 60's and 70's needed to continue this behavior. So you probably have only three or four more decades to go.

It's only an issue for you, he doesn't see any problem in what he's doing so it's hard to see things getting better. Plan accordingly...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 3:25 AM   #19
Established Member

He disrespects you worse than those women do because they didn't make a commitment to honor you.

Rather than taking it out on them direct the blame where it belongs.
Old 15th July 2018, 1:14 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
He's always been like this, I thought he would get better.
Famous last words. You're not likely to change him. He was probably looking for a mild woman who'd ignore all this and let him do it.

I agree with Carhill, though. I have found, especially with men who are not taking things seriously and are overconfident, that if you start exercising your own feminine powers, it absolutely drives them nuts. Start having lunch with a male friend. Go out to dinner or drinks with your girlfriends. Give him some reason to want to make a commitment to not do this; otherwise, why should he? You married him that way.
Old 23rd July 2018, 7:52 PM   #21
Established Member

I have some experience with a man who was an attention whore. The last guy I dated turned out to be like like once our honeymoon period was over and he no longer felt the need to impress me. I read up a lot about this type of behaviour and learnt that these attention seekers crave external validation, and get a high from it. Let me tell you that it doesn't get any better. My boyfriend was in his 40s. "Old dogs don't learn new tricks," my counsellor told me.

Separate to this issue is his disregard of your feelings. This is a lot more alarming than the attention seeking issue. If you communicate to your partner that something is bothering you and they continue to be inconsiderate of your feelings, then that is a huge red flag in your relationship. He is not your best friend - he's not even your friend as friends respect each other's feelings!

You either recognise that he's not "attention seeking" out of any real malice, and accept it, or you leave him.
NomiMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 6:32 PM   #22

An honest open discussion is needed here. You need to state exactly how you feel and explain that you are no longer putting up with disrespect. If he is a good partner despite the attention seeking he will understand. Then, you need to guide him and help him to change his behavior. Each time he does it you bring it to his attention and ensure he makes the correction. The book "love and obey" saved my life and relationship. Check it out it might help you. Im a much happier person now, taking control.
Loveandobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 7:18 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
how would one go about handling this? I don't want to give him a taste of his own medicine I don't have the heart. I've already spoken to him. where do I go from here
Sorry, but this is the only way he will get the message. You've talked to him about it and it hasn't changed so put your big girl panties on and show him how it feels.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 5:38 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafool View Post
Sorry, but this is the only way he will get the message. You've talked to him about it and it hasn't changed so put your big girl panties on and show him how it feels.
But do two wrongs make a right?

No.

Plus, how long can she keep it up? This isn't the way to go about fixing a problem that might not be fixable.
brigit87 is offline   Reply With Quote