Overthinking possible ring

Hi there

My boyfriend and I went on a trip to Ireland last month for a family wedding which was a lot of fun. During the wedding we went for a walk outside and he stated while pretty drunk that he had bought a ring and was going to propose on this trip but didn't want the spotlight to be off the wedding we were at.

Two days later when I brought it up to him he became super defensive and upset that he said anything so I dropped it.

I was looking through our budget (separate budgets on 2 page excel sheet) as we are looing for a house right now and he had a large amount of money under misc. that I have no idea what it was for but didn't want to ask. It was under May 2018

However, his brother came home yesterday with a ring for his girlfriend to let us know what he was planning within the year and my boyfriend made a statement like 'I can't believe you got a ring before me!'

I don't want to get excited or say anything at all I just don't know what to think and I feel quite emotional about the entire thing. I wish he never said anything in the first place to be honest but how likely does it seem that he lied at the wedding about having a ring?

Obviously I don't know exactly what's going on with him, but I do have to mention that some guys are really into the whole "SURPRISE!!!" thing with lots of intricate planning and whatnot. It's possible that he's trying to salvage whatever's left of that "surprise!", so I'd just give him time really, and see what happens.

More importantly, how is your RELATIONSHIP like? Is there a reason why you're jumping to the conclusion that he lied? That's the part of your post that stands out the most to me.

My guess, many men like to make a grande gesture when they propose to a woman. He probably feels like the fact that he was drunk and let the cat out of the bag at the wedding and now his brothers engagement has stolen his thunder. I can imagine that he is frustrated and disappointed.

My suggestion to you is to give him time and don’t pressure him or make him feel guilty.

What’s more important - your relationship or the ring? Your relationship, of course. Clearly, he is making plans to build a life with you. Don’t spoil it by letting your anxiety and insecurity get the best of you.

All good things happen with time...

• Like 3
I wish he never said anything in the first place to be honest but how likely does it seem that he lied at the wedding about having a ring?

Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion considering both his statements and expenses would indicate otherwise? Strikes me as a strange thing to be focused on at this point in your relationship...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1