My best friend wants to end her marriage...reason baffles me!

Swati spoke to me one day and confined her married life is not as romantic anymore. She had not had a romantic vacation in 6 months and she is ready to call it quits. I find this weird...

Hi Aayesha, your friend is utterly frivolous and seems to think that life is a series of Mills and Boon novels. You would do well to apprise her of this fact. In fact, if she wants to end her marriage tell her to go ahead as she will be doing a big favour to her husband! She is just not ready for marriage just now. Best wishes.

• Like 3

Is it possible that she just doesn't want to give the real reason (for example if it's something she's ashamed or embarrassed about, or something too personal to tell) or that she is using this as an excuse?

• Like 4

She may be being just a little dramatic, but it's important to keep the fires stoked. Commiting to spend time together on a regular basis for the sake of the relationship is not a bad idea. Whether that's an hour just listening after work, dinner dates, a weekend away, or a romantic vacation every six months.

Her request might not be totally unreasonable.

She might not HAVE to divorce because of it, but her heart could be in the right place.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Tell her things don't get rosier when you get divorced. I haven't had a real vacation in years.

If that is her reason for divorce, then it baffles me too...

She may not have difficulty finding a new guy, but she will definitely have difficulty making any relationship work long term with this sense of entitlement.

• Like 1

Not everyone goes around telling everyone the details of a divorce. They sometimes give vague reasons to stop the gossip.

• Like 2

I agree with Mikeylo. It's entirely possible she doesn't want to get bogged down telling the whole story.

That's the most shallow reason for a divorce I've ever heard. Even still, it doesn't surprise me. There are many people out there that compare their own relationship with the perfect facebook couples and end up dissapointed. It's like comparing a "behind the scenes" with someone else's main movie reel.

My ex was one of these people... It's possible your friend shares several of her characteristics. If so, that would be a realy pity. Nobody deserves a partner like that.