Moving to another city. What are the changes that I should expect?

I am moving to new city this Friday.

This will be the first time in my life I will be outside the shadow of my family home. I will be leaving everyone I knew my entire life behind for a new life in a new city. I am both scared and excited at the same time.

The good thing is I am not going alone. I have my wife.

I know the hustle and bustle of a move will suppress other feelings before things get a bit settled down there. But after things have settled, I don't know what I will be feeling.

So any advice on how do we as a couple help each other in settling in a new city life? What are the things that can happen due to a move which I have not anticipated yet?

My husband and I moved from the city to a very sleepy suburb nestled in farmland and ponds. We like the quiet and the kindness of the people around us.

You will miss your family and friends. You will feel like you're in another country. You will have to find your go-to grocery stores as well as entertainment. You will have to get used to your commute and being in a much more crowded and loud place. Keep leaning on your wife for support and grow together with this new adventure.

lucy_in_disguise

You may not anticipate the initial homesickness and loneliness. If one of you has a harder time building a new network and fitting in, that could cause some tension. Id encourage you to seek out avenues through which to meet new people as a couple early on. The more fully you can immerse yourselves in your new surroundings, the smoother the transition will be, imo.

If your wife is less enthusiastic about the move or doing it to support your career, you may need to be sensitive to the compromises made for the sake of the relationship and put in some extra effort to make the transition easier for her and make her feel appreciated.