Save for retirement or college funds' first?

marcgraham2000

I know married couples usually have differing opinions about this, so I just want to ask before I have a talk about this with my partner.

What do you think you should prioritize, as a couple... Saving for retirement, or saving for the kids' college tuition? Personally, I think it's more important to save for retirement because like I read online, there are more scholarship, loan, financial aids and options for college students. But there aren't as many financial aids and grants for retirees.

Now my question is... Which is your priority?

And what do you think are the pros/cons of your choice?

For those who've already made this choice -- like you're already retired or your children are already studying in Uni -- Are you happy with your decision?

Or would you have gone a different route if you had another chance?

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can give me.

My financial advisor told me you can fund college via loans etc but you can not fund your retirement.

That being said you basically have to be broke to get anything from Federal aid. There are scholarship etc.. but my kid was honor student and did all the sports, varsity and volunteered but we didn't get anything. WE just got a small grant that shrinks every year from the college.

We will have paid $120,000 for her to get get her bachelors at a state school. this included tuition and room and board.

My advice would be to save for retirement and make sure your house is paid off when you kids go to college.