entertaining myself while DH is away

My husband just got a promotion. I am so proud of him!

Now he's going to have to go away for two months of training. The last 2 times he went to training, once when he got the job & then again as an instructor, it wasn't too bad. The training was only 3 hours away so I was able to drive down almost every weekend. Plus my parents were still alive & I had my hands full with them.

Now it seems he may have to go far . . . I'd have to fly across the country to get there so if I get to go once for a long weekend it will be a lot.

I shouldn't worry until it's actually scheduled but I'm a planner / worrier.

Assuming it's far, what am I going to do on my own for 8 weeks? I'm very social & concerned about being lonely. I can probably invite myself to my cousin's for a weekend in the city. Another friend has been asking me to do a girls' weekend; this would be a good time to do that. But that still leaves me with too much time on my hands.

Any ideas as to how I can entertain myself? It's been a while since I didn't have a built in play mate.

Any community events, or groups, or volunteer things you can go to - in your town or city?

Group exercise classes at a local gym or recreation center or community college? Take a 8 week class in something fun?

I would set a goal for myself, such as run a half marathon or take an art class, or pick up an instrument. Learn a new skill. Exercise groups would help with the social needs. If you don't have friends in the area, it's the perfect time to make some and meet new people.

Set a self improvement goal. Explore places your husband wouldn't want to go with you. Try new restaurants and take care of the personal projects you may have been putting off. Get a puppy or a cat. Volunteer your time. Go to meetup groups. Watch movies your husband would never want to watch. Go to the theater by yourself. Learn to bake excellent bread or pizza.

Be selfish for a couple months! There are so many things in life to try. Take advantage of this time.

• Like 1
  • Author

Some of that is a tad ambitious. As a child the music teacher my parents hired for me gave them a full refund & offered to pay them if I never took up an instrument again. lol

I will probably just end up reaching out to friends to set up going to the movies etc.

Smilecharmer

My husband travels and so I have a lot of things going on with friends and groups. I also like having time to myself to think and work on projects. I catch up on my reading list and Skype or FaceTime with him every chance we get. I also come on here and discuss stuff and learn so much about people and how not to take my husband and marriage for granted because of other people's experiences. I learn by observing, I guess. You will be fine. After a while you get used to your own company and the sex when he gets back is phenomenal. :laugh:

• Like 1

Learn to paint!

Take up making jewelry!

Take a cooking class!

Learn to knit and donate to hospitals!

The list is endless - dream of what makes you happy and start doing some of those things!

Have fun with it!

• Like 3
CrystalCastles

Going for a walk alone would make me more lonely. Before I was married I walked my dog but he died 2 years ago so that is definitely out.

Read books. Redecorate your house. Try out new recipes. Sew/knit/crochet something. Get manis/pedis with your friends. Go to dinners/movies with them. If you have any siblings, set up some activities with them.

My boyfriend's going away too. 3 months to Brazil- he got a scholarship there to work on a project as a part of his masters. I have school during the day, but on weekends and during breaks, I've planned out to go swimming with a friend a few times a week, working out at the gym, reading books, surfing youtube for new songs, cooking! There's so much you can do, you don't have to be bored by yourself. Its wonderful that your H got this opportunity! :bunny:

• Like 1

husband goes to Vegas for two weeks at a time to visit his older brother, and while I miss him, it's a fantastic time to do stuff around the house – usually painting or culling out the crap we don't need. I also catch up with friends (bestie is great about calling every other day to check up on me), watch videos (normally, I'm a reader) and just make the most of not having to hear "why do you need to get rid of that/the house smells funny, don't paint/you want to do WHAT??!!!" LOL

mostly, I just see it as a time to reconnect with ME, doing stuff that I enjoy without worrying if he's going to like it too.

I clicked on this and thought it was in the Infidelity forum.

And I saw the title and I saw the line about "built-in playmate".

Thank god it is in the Marriage + Life sections. :cool:

snappytomcat

can you volunteer at a animal shelter?they always need help,or foster a cat/dog while hubbys away,its rewarding and do keep you busy with cleaning,brushing,and socializing them

• Like 1