Is Wife Stealing From Me?

My wife and I married 3 years ago after 4 years of dating.

Recently I discovered I was missing many personal items including: tax records, business records, personal photographs, rare books, small antiques and etc. All were my personal items and of no use or value to 99.999997% of the population.

These items went missing from in our house, from our attic and from her father's business.

My wife is not missing any property.

My wife's 18 year old son is not missing any property. He and I have a good relationship and I hear from others all the time that he likes me.

My wife has Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, lies all the time, has engaged in cyber sex after we got married, solicited a prostitute before we got married to "see what it would be like to be with another woman" and has (I think some irrational ideas about trusting me.) She has had me investigated by private investigators and put under video surveillance, scanned my computers (and altered or deleted files) and business files, gone through everything I own with a fine tooth comb and only comes up with that I am a good and decent man. Her private detectives have told her that I am a good man, doing nothing wrong and she is lucky to have me--yet she remains suspicious and seems to be angry at me much of the time. I didn't know anything about this side of her personality before we got married. The only people who know about this side of her are her son, mom, dad and ex-husband. Everyone else thinks she is the best and finest human to walk the planet.

Do I have reason to think that my Wife took my property?

I certainly think you have reason to be suspicious of her.

Just out of curiousity, why did you marry this woman?

• Author

That is a good question and a good answer would take me a lot of typing.

The short answer is that before we were married everything seemed to fit in the relationship there were no red flags even in hindsight. We enjoyed each others company, loved to be together, shared common values, had great sex, had common goals, talked about how great things were and decided that if we ever had challenges with the relationship that we'd seek counselling (and yes she refused to go).

A couple of days after getting married things began to change for the worse.

Try tracking those things. Have PI yourself do the job!

And put her on treatment!

What kind of OCD does she have? One subtype tends to hoard things, which may involve some of your stuff.

Sounds like she's got some paranoia issues as well, so I could see her taking your stuff for those types of reasons too.

Anyway, I think that all the clues add up to her taking it. It may be time to consider how well this relationship is going if you can't even trust your wife to not steal your stuff., and if she refuses to consider change.

I'm not surprised that she has refused treatment, it seems to fit her pattern. Hmm, tough situation.

• Author

BlueLP, I don't know what kind of OCPD she has. If she is hoarding things I wouldn't know where.

Her having some sort of paranoia is something I hadn't thought about. Right now though I feel like I'm so close to the situation that I don't have a clear perspective.

My physician thinks she took my stuff, the police believe she took my stuff--which is why they wouldn't even take a stolen property report when I called them. The police say it is a civil issue because we are married.